Parents College camp question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Halfon

Proud Parent
Hi, my level 8 daughter is interested in attending a college camp this summer. Since she will have completed level 8, it probably makes sense to go to a ‘high performance’ camp. However, she does not want colleges looking at her and ruling her out as a prospect because at her level she is nowhere near ready for college routines. Which camps have helped your daughters learn without putting pressure on them? Or should she do one of the more basic camps where any level is welcome? She is a very good level 8, but nowhere close to being a level 10.

However, she does not want colleges looking at her and ruling her out as a prospect because at her level she is nowhere near ready for college routines.

This will not happen at all... don't worry about it. You are looking at it backwards.

Colleges don't rule out all the athletes that are not good enough... instead... they recruit / follow the ones that are good enough. If she is not good enough now... but then becomes good enough... they will recruit her.

Which camps have helped your daughters learn without putting pressure on them?

Go to actual college camps... not showcase camps. Showcase camps like "The Best Darn College Camp" and the "JPAC College Combine Camp" are much higher pressure. The showcase style camps are great once she is a Level 10.

Last edited:
This will not happen at all... don't worry about it. You are looking at it backwards.

Colleges don't rule out all the athletes that are not good enough... instead... they recruit / follow the ones that are good enough. If she is not good enough now... but then becomes good enough... they will recruit her.

Go to actual college camps... not showcase camps. Showcase camps like "The Best Darn College Camp" and the "JPAC College Combine Camp" are much higher pressure. The showcase style camps are great once she is a Level 10.

Thank you for your thoughtful response!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JBS
Hi, my level 8 daughter is interested in attending a college camp this summer. Since she will have completed level 8, it probably makes sense to go to a ‘high performance’ camp. However, she does not want colleges looking at her and ruling her out as a prospect because at her level she is nowhere near ready for college routines. Which camps have helped your daughters learn without putting pressure on them? Or should she do one of the more basic camps where any level is welcome? She is a very good level 8, but nowhere close to being a level 10.
I wouldn't worry too much about them ruling her out. If she is a very good level 8 they will see her for her potential but not rule her out, just give her time for her gymnastics to grow the next few years. An all-level camp might not be the best idea as it won't be technical and serious enough for her level. Try any nearby college with a moderately strong to strong gymnastics team. I am yet to hear of a college with a bad gymnastics camp.

I wouldn't worry too much about them ruling her out. If she is a very good level 8 they will see her for her potential but not rule her out, just give her time for her gymnastics to grow the next few years. An all-level camp might not be the best idea as it won't be technical and serious enough for her level. Try any nearby college with a moderately strong to strong gymnastics team. I am yet to hear of a college with a bad gymnastics camp.
Thank you so much!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back