Skills you want to see more of/Skills you never want to see again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CoachGoofy

I just thought it'd be fun to see what other people love (and are tired of) in gymnastics.

I can never get enough of:
Really GOOD codies on trampoline
Any and every double salto with a nice kickout (T&T thing. But seriously breathtaking)
Triple saltos. Anywhere.
Double stag jumps with the head back on FX & BB
Interesting beam mounts
I just love that triple full-back tuck that girl from Russia does.

Never want to see again:
Roundoff-straddle jump.
Jump up and leg swing over beam mounts in Elite (I mean, really? I don't want to see an elite do the Level 4 mount. I know level 4s for that).
Men's FX routines made up almost exclusively of twisting combinations.
And I never want to hear Pirates floor music ever again, either.

What about all y'all?

Stuff I love:
- Really sweet beam mounts really get me going.
- Little kids doing their routines. It's so cute, especially when they're itty bitty!
- Ring leaps
- Anything that makes non-gymnasts gasp
- Non-whippy front layout dismounts
- Anything that involves the word "triple" or "quadruple"

Stuff I hate:
- The jump-and-swing mount in Elite.
- Whippy front layout dismount off beam. Hate hate hate that!
- Half on half off vault. Looks to me like a roundoff.
- Awkward/weird dance (like people hitting their foreheads with their palms. How is that considered artistry?)

For T&T: Want to see- Front 1 and 3/4's they are so beautiful and maybe see someone attempt a front 1 and 3/4 fliffis ballout! That would be neat.

Never want to see again- Jump full turn dismounts for DM, none of the kids can do it correctly and it looks stupid.

For gymnastics: Want to see- more creative skills, I know folks do the min. to score well but I miss the artistic nature of it.

Never want to see again- MILL CIRCLES! Stupidest skill ever invented! Holds kids up and it completely useless other than being a filler skill. That stupid looking tripod position in the level 2 floor routine. And even if you are a College gymnast and are just adding to the team score please oh please do something more exciting for a beam dismount than a front tuck off come on that is a level 6/7 skill.

For DD its the Mill circle and the move to get your leg through to the right side to do the mill circle. She is also not a fan of the cartwheel on the beam. just about anything else she is game for.

Things I love
-basically any/all double saltos anywhere
-REAL artistry (not just fluff dance)
-cool/interesting beam mounts

Things I hate
-boring beam mounts
-Elites falling/wobbling on basic full toe turns
-the same floor music repeated at least 3x in one session of a meet

(btw, my floor routine is Pirates...I chose it last year, having no idea how popular it would be. I still love it, but I hate hearing it so often at meets!)

Love- cool floor routines; love to see personality in the routine. Any cool move that makes not gymnasts go "Ahh".
like a head spring on floor or my dd's fav, a split beam mount. Hate- boring and safe beam and bar mounts. Hey u r elite, show me that cool mount; not the one my 4 yr old does! Hate the mill circle and the dive roll. Glad they are getting rid of the latter wish they would consider getting rid of the former!

I LOVE

Unique routines, some of the comeback college gymnasts are doing cool things.
The Rudi vault
Interesting beam mounts
Real dance that goes with the music.
Hit handstands on bars
Agressive tumbling on beam
High tight double layouts on floor

I don't want to see:
Side Somis - they were ugly even when Nastia did them
Elite meets with only Yurchenkos
Elites doing any move in the level 4 beam routine
TV coverage that shows girls waiting for their score instead of other routines
Leo's on Elites that DON'T FIT, espically those that are cut above the hip in front and fit like a string in back

I love-
backwards-moving mounts on beam
hecht of any kind on bars
cool bar transitions like paks or back straddle 1/2
turning (barrel) leaps
really good clear hips
double back pikes
switch side leaps on beam

Hate-
wolf jumps. be a big girl and do a pike, they're not that hard.
bad cat leaps
Yurchenkos, over and over and over again
whippy double layout dismounts on bars
cowboy flips

Love:
Double Fronts on floor. (Like just run really hard and throw a double front)
Hip-Hop type of floor routines. They show sooo much personality. To bad you usually only see them in college gym not elite.
Double layout bar dismount....can have twists in it. I just like when they lay it out and don't tuck.
Release move connected on bars.

Things I hate:
Easy beam mounts. (hate it when they run at the end of the beam and just hop up)
Back handspring stepouts/layout stepouts with flexed toes.

(this is all for elites; obviously if you're a 9/10 and have a double back on floor or a yurchenko double full I'd want to see it :))
Want to see more of:
front entry/tsuk vaults
the khorkhina II or whatever the shaposh 1/2 is
twisting double layout ub dismounts
ub dismounts connected out of something
bhs arabian on beam
side ariel back layout step out on beam
full in beam dismounts
real dance on floor (like anna pavlova's 2008 routine)

don't want to see:
a bajillion yurchenko double fulls
tkatchev+pak when the pak has no flight
side somis
bhs bhs double something beam dismount - it always looks like they're going to hit their head, except for Alicia Sacramone
double tuck on floor

want to see more of:
any beam mount that reminds me of hollie vise
tsuk vaults
like lots of people have said NCAA style dancing in elite routines

want to see less of:
high level gymnasts esp elites excessive cowboying (i'm sorry Nastia i adore you and think you're a wonderful gymnast with amazing skills but I just couldn't get over this at beijing it's soooo ugly)
split leaps (of any form), tour jetes, etc. without 180 degrees in the legs, they look sloppy. i do love yang bos though, more of those!

Hehe, I'd have to agree with the round off straddle jumps. I don't think they serve any sort of purpose, and they're just awkward looking. As for what I'd like to see more of, I'd like to see more creativity. I always like when I see someone pull something new, exciting, and unexpected out.

Any "dance" move with broken birdie wings (hands bent down sharply at wrists). A big no no in ballet. I saw some college gymnasts doing it on TV last year, it took away from their otherwise beautiful lines.

I agree with those who want to see more artistry, creativity, originality and fluid dance that actually goes with the music. I hate watching beam and floor routines with lots of disjointed-looking posing in. It just looks like they're filling in time between tumbling runs. And agree about the ugly wrist bends!

I would like to see more illusions on the beam, well floor too. I think it is a very pretty move.

I also hate the side somi and any move that has cowboy legs. It's gymnastics, not forest defecation.

I love FX that has true artistics dancing. I have a dancing background so I like to see movements that correspond to the musical emotion. However, I will say that I have no idea how to make tumbling passes fit into what I just said. LOL

I like to see long legged beam workers. Their lines are just stunning.

I don't like twisting fulls on the beam where it looks like the gymnast is going to face plant.

And now I feel like a big ole complainer......

I could watch tumbling on beam all day long !

would love to never see another mill circle !

agree on the beam mounts !

I hear you! My DD did 2 years of L4 and that silly mill circle always left me scratching my head wondering why it is there! My Dd never had a probablem with it, but others did that moved on and up and made great little gymnasts. I used to say Come on, Shawn Johnson never had to do THAT in the Olympics! Could you even imagine one of those Elites trying to go around in a circle like that? LOL

want to see more of:
Double back layouts on floor
quadruple twists (is that even possible????)
front entry vaults handspring front etc
Release connections - think beth tweddle
Release - dismount connections
creative mounts - none of this level 4 nonsense at elite
twisting beam dismounts
two foot tumbling on the beam - like shawns flic flic lay, its so much more breath taking
standing arabians
Illusions
More Holly vise like mounts, gosh she is flexible!
Ring leaps
Double arabians

Less of:
Back rolls to push up position - stupid skill looks awkward
Leg separation in double backs, have noticed that particularly when they do a full in.
Level 4 mounts at elite
side sommis
Any cowboying

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back