Parents two meets at the same time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
Any parents out there with more than one gymnast ever had two meets at the same time in different locations? It looks like this unhappy fate will be ours in December. DH and I have always both gone to meets whenever we've both been able to get away. The real bummer is that it's DS's first meet. We still haven't decided what to do (i.e., which parent will be going with which gymnast). Unfortunately, I think DS has a mild preference for me, but DD has no confidence in Dad's bun skills ("no confidence" is rather gentler than the language she would use).

On the up side, eldest son, who is not a gymnast, has declared that he is going to DS's meet no matter what, because he wants to be there for his brother's first meet. (I am aware that all this brotherly love and support may well be just an evil ploy to get out of Sunday school.) It's sweet, though I don't think he's gotten the memo about the length of the typical boys' meet, from what I have heard!

that stinks for sure. I have not had that happen as I only have one gymmie but I am pretty sure someone here will have advice. i think the brotherly support is wonderful regardless of the reason.

are the meets anywhere near easch other that you might be able to see all or part of both depending on start/finish times?

good luck to both of your gymmies.

We haven't had two gym meets at the same time, but twice this year my ds has had an event at the same time as my dd. His swim conference meet was the same day as my dd's home gymnastics meet. (at least they were both close by) However, we ended up missing his race because his meet moved faster than the times his coach had given me and he had just finished swimming when we arrived. The other event was a band event and we were lucky again that they were both fairly local and we arrived at his event in just the nick of time to see his band play.

There was one meet last year that was supposed to be a little farther away and my ds had an event going on close to home. We had planned on dh taking dd to the gym meet (which involved a hotel) and me staying with my son. I had arranged for another mom to do my dd's hair. (Maybe this would be an option for your dd if you choose to go to your son's meet) We ended up being lucky though because our gym changed what meet we were going to and so it didn't conflict after all.

I know it is tough to figure out how to split up which parent goes where. Good luck!!

Hi

I'm going to be potentially faced with that scenario at least four times this season. I'm a single parent with two gymnasts at different gyms. On at least two weekends, they will be at different meets, in one case in different states. Then on two other weekends, they'll be at the same meet but could have overlapping session times. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they don't!

There's no easy answer. I'm going to split my attendance between the girls and my mother will attend the meets I don't. I've already started talking to the girls so they understand that neither of them will get short changed as they both want me there but will have to cope with sharing me.

Good luck!

When my Son did team and my dd too we always had issues like that and usually their meet were no where near each other either Always on opposite sides of the state. I had to go with DD incase she needed hair done as Hubby didn't have a clue but every now and then we would switch. the worst year was the year the states were on the same day at the same time again on opposite sides of the state. U

Usually we hoped that ones meet was early and one was late. Sometimes when one finished we could drive over to the other but when on opposite sides of the state it made it hard and a very long drive.

Not alot you can do about it. The Schedule is the schedule

With 5 kids we are always racing between events missing parts of some and sending kids with friends - that's life. This year with a Level 4 and a Level 8 gymnast, I guarantee that we will have at least 1 conflict if not more! We don't have the optional schedule yet, so I'm not certain. Good luck - it can be fun to get the play by play recap from the kid's perspective!

Yes...this happened to me last season, and it will happen at least twice this coming season, too. We are the only family at the gym with one boy and one girl on team, and so I don't really expect them to cater the schedule to us. We will deal with it, and the kids don't really mind...they just want to make it to their meets! The really bad situation is-during our host meet for level 4-optionals (which the booster club hosts and will be very busy) the boys team is going to another meet about an hour away. We will lose all of the boys families to help at the meet because they will be with their sons at their meet. Really stinks.

Yeah, it'll happen a lot this year--Beth's got gymnastics meets the same weekends Sami has HS gymnastics meets and, if that weren't bad enough, Becca has swim meets those same weekends! We split up parent-wise--DH goes to swim meets (he was a swimmer) and I go to Beth's meets. Since Sami's is a HS team, she travels with the team, so she's stuck by herself. Stinks, but what can you do??

We had this last season - big DD had JOGA States and little DD had L7 States both on the same day, overlapping by about 1.5 hrs, 30 min ride in between. I made arrangements to take little DD then have DH bring big DD and meeting them there - stinks!

States on the same day! Yikes!

It's now officially confirmed that DD and DS will be entering their respective competitions to stretch at exactly the same time next Sunday morning -- about 230 miles away from each other. Oh well, at least my oldest doesn't have a soccer game at the same time.

Gymmom, I've heard that swim meets are even longer than gymnastics meets -- is that actually possible?! (I'm already steeling myself in preparation for the boys' meets we'll be attending this year because I've been warned that they're longer than the girls' because of the warmups and six rather than four events.)

I only have one in gym, but one of my good friends has 3 in gymnastics-one boy (level 7) and 2 girls (level 4 and 8). This has happened quite a few times for her but she seems to have a good sense of humor about it. She has said that she gets in cardio work when her kids are at the same meet going at the same time. Good luck!

swim meets

Around here, except dual meets, swim meets are generally 2 sessions, or 3 sessions for the teens. A session might be arrive at 7:00am for warmup and out by noon.

Next weekend my daughter has a swim meet at 1pm on Saturday and 1pm on Sunday. DS has his first gymnastics meet at 8:45 on Sunday. They're pretty far apart so DD is going with a teammate on Sunday. DH doesn't have the patience for swim or gym meets though he likes going to the ones close by where he can blow in and out. Too long, too little action. So they are going to have to get used to going to things without me if they want to do them. Unfortunately DS *is* the L4 team this year so all ties go to DS. DD at least has teammates in her sessions to ride with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back