WAG Two pass routines (recently on Inside gym and MyKayla Skinners insta)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
So, I just saw a post with Mykayla Skinner recently stating how she hates two pass in a routine. Basically saying its gymnastics not dance. Inside Gymnastics reposted it more or less agreeing. I was reading a lot of the comments replying to that and it seems like a mixed bag or replies. I tend to agree with the " if it meets the requirements why not" side.
I have seen level 10's do 2 passes and they score well.
Have there been any changes in the code that will change for this new season for USAG girls? I thought i read that you will no longer be able to make up for two doing passes with upgraded jumps and leaps? Is this true?
My daughter ended up doing two passes because she was injured ( last season ) and still had a full start value and wants to continue just doing two passes. She didn't have and E pass but had upgraded leaps and jumps to meet the 10.0. She scored higher doing two passes than 3 too.

In my understanding for level 10 at least (not sure on NCAA) you need either two E passes or an E and a D+A to have no composition deductions in a 2 pass routine. So while you might have a 10.0 SV, you will have built in deductions.

I think 2-pass routines are smart if you have the difficulty. Less wear and tear on the body and less room for deductions.

My daughter would love to do a two pass routine for 10. She'd prefer to do two higher level difficulty passes and have the energy to do them well. Her gym always has them do three passes so it's unlikely she'll have that choice.

Another recent thread...

In my understanding for level 10 at least (not sure on NCAA) you need either two E passes or an E and a D+A to have no composition deductions in a 2 pass routine. So while you might have a 10.0 SV, you will have built in deductions.

I think 2-pass routines are smart if you have the difficulty. Less wear and tear on the body and less room for deductions.
Floor is not my daughters biggest strength due to hip and ankle issues. Is this a change from last year? Just curious as she would like to just keep two passes if she can still score well. She didn't have any E passes last year and was still able to score in the 9.5 range.

My daughter would love to do a two pass routine for 10. She'd prefer to do two higher level difficulty passes and have the energy to do them well. Her gym always has them do three passes so it's unlikely she'll have that choice.
Absolutely, I don't see why it is frowned upon. I think there would be a lot less injuries too!

If a 2 pass routine gets you a higher score... then do that. If a 3 pass routine does it... then do 3.
I agree, but her coaches are saying that there might be a change in the code that she will no longer score as high. She was able to make up for difficulty with her leaps and jumps. I am just curious if something has changed in the code that she would no longer be able to score higher without having and E pass.

I think it’s a badge of honor to be able to do a full value two pass routine in L10. I could be wrong but I think Avery Neff did a two pass routine last year and we all know how that worked out. :p
i agree! I guess i am trying to figure out of something has changed in scoring from last year to this year?

I don’t understand a gymnast criticizing other gymnasts for playing to their strengths, doing what scores well and helps them stay healthy… I loved Natalie Wojcik’s response
IMG_1726.jpeg

To be fair, I believe Mykala is talking about college gymnastics versus L10. I think its like JBS said, do the routine that is going to score best. In college, coaches are moving towards 2 pass routines because they are scoring just as well as 3 pass routines. Less risk (falls or injury), the same reward is a no-brainer.

I do understand her point, in college many of the 2 pass routines have little dance elements, more posing, hand waving get to the next pass type activity, which can make for a rather blah floor from an entertainment standpoint. But until the code changes or judges start taking deductions, makes perfect sense to move towards 2 pass routines.

To be fair, I believe Mykala is talking about college gymnastics versus L10. I think its like JBS said, do the routine that is going to score best. In college, coaches are moving towards 2 pass routines because they are scoring just as well as 3 pass routines. Less risk (falls or injury), the same reward is a no-brainer.

I do understand her point, in college many of the 2 pass routines have little dance elements, more posing, hand waving get to the next pass type activity, which can make for a rather blah floor from an entertainment standpoint. But until the code changes or judges start taking deductions, makes perfect sense to move towards 2 pass routines.
OH yes for sure she was talking about NCAA, It just made me think of DP Level 10's as I am seeing more of it too. But i will say that the ones i have seen are dancy and not posey.. ha ha!

2 pass routines almost always have more dance elements in them to help fulfill the requirements and take up the time. They tend to be the routines that "tell a story" vs the 3 pass routines that have very little dance and more posing just ot rush to the next pass. I get it - 3 pass routines are more "exciting" because of the tumbling but I really like the two pass routines that force the gymnast to have a more balanced combination of dance and tumbling

2 pass routines almost always have more dance elements in them to help fulfill the requirements and take up the time. They tend to be the routines that "tell a story" vs the 3 pass routines that have very little dance and more posing just ot rush to the next pass. I get it - 3 pass routines are more "exciting" because of the tumbling but I really like the two pass routines that force the gymnast to have a more balanced combination of dance and tumbling
You havent watched a lot of college gymnastics have you? UCLA is about the only team that takes the dance elements that you talk to heart. Pretty much everyone else is pose, wave hands, pose, spin, wave hands. When done well, 2 pass routines are exactly what you are talking about (see UCLA) when not, its just an exercise in fulfilling composition elements to get a score.

You havent watched a lot of college gymnastics have you? UCLA is about the only team that takes the dance elements that you talk to heart. Pretty much everyone else is pose, wave hands, pose, spin, wave hands. When done well, 2 pass routines are exactly what you are talking about (see UCLA) when not, its just an exercise in fulfilling composition elements to get a score.
Actually, I watch NCAA Meets every weekend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back