WAG Unitards for competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
Has anyone ever seen unitards in competition? The owner of our gym wants our team in unitards. I don't think they are against the rules, but I have never seen it myself. Thoughts?

No, never seen it (and DD is finishing her 7th year competing). Why does the GO want to do that?

I've also never seen it and DD has been competing for 8 years. We do have one team in the area that competes with one armed leos - one sleeve is long and the other is tank. One judge has commented that those leos are distracting. I wouldn't want to wear anything that draws negative attention even if it technically isn't against the rules.

I know this is in the WAG section, but just to clarify; is this for Artistic gym, or another gym sport?

I agree totally and am mortified. He feels that leotards are misogynistic and is part of the problem of girls feeling bad about their bodies, being objectified, and getting eating disorders. My take on it is that our girls will feel horrible when they are the only ones in an ugly unitard.

And yes, this is for our xcel team we are forming for next year.

I can kind of sort of see his point but I doubt the girls will feel very good not wearing what everyone else does. If you have input maybe suggest a modest leotard (not high cut) in colors that flatter more body types.

Oh brother..........lets hope he also doesn't coach the swim team or diving team as well! Good news is it that it will be real easy to find you at the meets! ;)

I agree totally and am mortified. He feels that leotards are misogynistic and is part of the problem of girls feeling bad about their bodies, being objectified, and getting eating disorders. My take on it is that our girls will feel horrible when they are the only ones in an ugly unitard.

So the owner feels this way and he has a gymnastics gym, that's bizarre. The only time I have ever heard about this is when a gymnast has a religious issue and even then it has caused questions ( see LucyTRA's recent thread). Please talk to him about the girls wanting to fit it, vs stand out in a bad way.

He's probably like me. Loves the sport but not the attire. Seriously, I have always thought leotards were pretty ridiculous but I just shrug it off. You kind of have to when you're 100% opposite in opinion to just about everyone else. Ha!

And yes, this is for our xcel team we are forming for next year.
Misogynistic? As in promoting and/or perpetuating hatred of women?

These poor kids. The owner's paranoia is more misogynistic than the leotards he would protect them from. His preference will take one of the rites of passage, a child's first comp leo, away from these kids. He should reverse course unless he can convince the kids they can take pride in wearing a unitard before and after the meets where they'll stand out in a way they may not wish.

This sport can be both good and bad, and sometimes we can only hope to have one fewer "bads" than we have bads. This choice will add to the list of bads and remove one of the goods, and that's a loss they'll feel whenever they walk into meets and are self conscious of the unitard.

Geez, talk about giving a kid another reason to binge diet to be more beautiful, accepted, or placed on a pedestal. They just may compensate for having to wear the unitard, and often that reaction leads to something we don't want for our kids.

Gymnastics should be about doing constructive things as partners with the kids. His intention may come from a constructive heart, but if the kids don't embrace the decision, it will be one more example of an adult imposing their will upon a child...... Isn't that what we want to avoid?

Would he be willing to go for a compromise? Maybe slightly lower than a traditional modified cut... maybe contact different leotard companies about a "biketard" with a 0.1 inch inseam or something like that?

it's allowed and for religious reasons for those that wear them.

I'll put my hand up and say I have no idea what a unitard is! (Yes, my head has obviously been buried in the sand way too long...) Is it one of those leotards with the gym shorts sort of attached - like in one piece? (And isn't a leotard a unitard, by definition, anyway?? Picturing girls competing in pj onsies here...all kinds of wrong LOL)

I'll put my hand up and say I have no idea what a unitard is! (Yes, my head has obviously been buried in the sand way too long...) Is it one of those leotards with the gym shorts sort of attached - like in one piece? (And isn't a leotard a unitard, by definition, anyway?? Picturing girls competing in pj onsies here...all kinds of wrong LOL)
Yeah a unitard is a Leo with built in pants...

A unitard has long legs, a biketard has short legs. I admire the sentiment but if the girls hate it, it will backfire. A modestly cut leotard in flattering fabric might be a better idea.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back