WAG Unitards for competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

you can see here when the leos started to change:

these changes were coming from Europe. we didn't really have a 'leo' manufacturer. Danskin is what was around then.

and another factoid about the word gymnastics. it comes from the Greek word gymnasium which came from the word 'gymnos'. it means naked. to train or exercise or do gymnastics naked. YIKES!

When mine was whining and kvetching one day about a certain leo, I told her this factoid and told her I was going to take her to gym naked if she didn't knock it off.

Mistake! Her eyes got big and she smiled. "Really?" she asked. "Do you think Coach X will let us do gymnastics nekkid????"

*smacks forehead* crap! I forgot that we have a boy's team now and she is getting curious about exactly what makes boys so different from girls. Total backfire.

Off topic, but I'll say it again...I miss the old bars when they were close together. They were so much more creative and beautiful.

To clarify, he thinks that having girls parading around in leotards when men wear shorts and uni's is sexist. I can see his point, really I can, but girls don't want to be different. They want to fit in.

upload_2014-3-10_13-48-38.jpeg
upload_2014-3-10_13-48-38.jpeg

To clarify, he thinks that having girls parading around in leotards when men wear shorts and uni's is sexist. I can see his point, really I can, but girls don't want to be different. They want to fit in.
Does he realize that the men have leotards under their shorts/pants?
If that is his issue, then he should be willing to allow them to compete in leotards with shorts or capri pants over them (if allowed in your state). Maybe show him some options and try to explain that the girls won't be happy competing in full unitards.

To point out the obvious -

A unitard is going to invite MORE staring, speculation, insults, and gossip than had he just let the kids wear a standard competition leotard. Sounds like a good way to have good intentions backfire.

We had an issue with our girls' tights looking quite silly this year - "tight and white" is a horrid look over a leo, especially on the older girls who are more defined. The girls hate them, parents hate them, and that was bad enough. I think we would all have a mental breakdown (and maybe quit) if it got any worse!

Apache, what do you mean about tights? Do they wear white leggings over their leos for warm ups?

and another factoid about the word gymnastics. it comes from the Greek word gymnasium which came from the word 'gymnos'. it means naked. to train or exercise or do gymnastics naked. YIKES!

so, i really don't care what they're wearing so long as they're wearing something. :)

Um, yeah. Did they really do it sans clothes back in the day???

I have seen the musical 'Hair' a bunch of times, hippie wannabe that I am. It has a nude scene in it that I've seen done several ways... mostly fairly tastefully. But one college Thespian production of it I saw was just a stageful of naked people dancing vigorously... Full frontal, bright stage lighting. The human body may be a beautiful thing, but the amount of bouncing bits I saw on stage that night... Well, let's just say I'm not going to be signing up to go see any traditional Greek gymnastics displays any time soon.

I have seen the musical 'Hair' a bunch of times, hippie wannabe that I am. It has a nude scene in it that I've seen done several ways... mostly fairly tastefully. But one college Thespian production of it I saw was just a stageful of naked people dancing vigorously... Full frontal, bright stage lighting. The human body may be a beautiful thing, but the amount of bouncing bits I saw on stage that night... Well, let's just say I'm not going to be signing up to go see any traditional Greek gymnastics displays any time soon.

I'm so glad I wasn't just drinking coffee.

That's like some places that have naked yoga. No thanks. I don't want to be that close to anyone's downward dog.

Do they wear white leggings over their leos for warm ups?

Yes. And it looks weird. It is the color I think - it just is not very flattering to be able to see through them somewhat. If the unitard is a "go", for the love of all that is holy, go dark!

Um, yeah. Did they really do it sans clothes back in the day???

Probably not in the early days of what we know as gymnastics, but certainly in ancient greek and roman times. Athletes (male) in the ancient olympic games often competed nude, according to historical sources.

I had a high schooler come to practice in a nude leo liner one day. She warmed up in her clothes and then called my attention. When I looked over she promptly mooned me causing me to have a momentary internal freak out before she and her friends burst into a fit of giggles and showed me it was a nude leo. They still laugh about that :rolleyes:.

I think he needs to re-examine his beliefs, if he wants to change what the WOMEN wear, because he thinks it's sexist. Why not have the boys in leos (with no shorts), if he wants to make a staatement about sexism and fashion in the gym...?

Surely drawing attention to the girls, by making them wear something different to the norm, he is actually inviting commentary regarding the girls and their bodies etc?

Just to clarify - I have no issue with the girls wearing what makes them feel comfortable, both in training and in competition...but perhaps it should be the team itself who has the final say, since they're the ones on display?

haha my mum took me when I was 13, everyone at school was like 'your mum took you to see naked men dancing on stage' I was like ' it really wasn't that attractive!' lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back