Parents Xcel to JO??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CLgym

Proud Parent
If a child starts competing in Xcel (with dreams of JO), is it possibly to move to the JO program in the future at the same or a different gym (assuming the gym allows it)? I saw something on the USAG website stating "There is NO mobility from Xcel to the JO program." What does this mean? Surely it can't mean that you are never ever able to switch programs.... or does it? Thanks!

It means you have to enter the JO stream at level 4 ( there is an exception for high schoolers, they can petition to enter at level 7). You can't go from Diamond to level 10, but you can start in level 4 any time you want.

Of course you can go from XCel to JO, and vice versa. I'm not sure where it said that...??

That being said, it is much more common and "acceptable" at some gyms to go from JO to XCel. Some gyms don't really allow movement from XCel to JO - whether stated or not stated, it's just not done. If your child is XCel and wants to go JO, find out if that ever happens at your gym. If not, shop around for a new gym.

ETA: you didn't indicate what level your DD was - I assumed a low level, but Gymdog is correct.

It says it in rules and policies. Just means there's no certain level of Xcel that correlates to a JO level you could enter past 4.

@ Quadqueen. Yes. Low level -- age 6, pre-team.

Thanks for such quick responses. As a follow up, what Xcel level would roughly correlate with Level 4 in terms of skills?

It really depends on how your gym does Xcel, but probably Gold is the closest. A lot of Golds do a front tuck and/or back tuck on floor, so it's not exact. Since the point of the Xcel levels are to provide flexibility, usually you will see some events that are higher than others. So floor is probably more advanced skill wise than level 4, bars isn't.

Like gymdog said, there is a huge range of skills at each Xcel level. Just to give you one example, my DD is doing Gold this year and the plan is for her to score out of 4/5 and do 6 in the fall. But some of the girls at Gold are probably more equivalent to level 3/4. I have also heard of some gyms taking them to Platinum before bringing them back to JO. So the "no mobility" thing sounds scary, but really they just mean that even if you have Diamond skills, you'd have to start "fresh" in JO, so level 4. (Except that highschool age petition exception)

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, everyone. This is all very helpful. One more question, I promise :) Am I correct in understanding that it is NOT possible to start in Xcel and then move into JO level 3? It must be level 4?

Thank you for the information, everyone. This is all very helpful. One more question, I promise :) Am I correct in understanding that it is NOT possible to start in Xcel and then move into JO level 3? It must be level 4?
4 is just the first level you HAVE to score out of to move on. So if she weren't quite ready for 4, she could do 3.

Reactions: sce
Level 4 is the first required JO level. You could go form Xcel to level 2 or 3 as well. The point is that you can't go from Xcel to above level 4 (except the HS petition.)

My DD did a year of Silver before switching to JO. Don't be discouraged if your gym says no. Some gyms don't allow movement between the two and others have very stringent requirements for their JO kids. DD was able to stay at her gym but her gym said no to a couple of other kids who wanted to compete JO. Both of them found new gyms and have done fine in JO.

Let me see if I can explain it........ When it says 'no mobility' it does not mean that a gymnast cannot switch from Xcel to JO and vice versa. What it does mean is that scores in Xcel do not fulfill the minimum mobility score requirement to move up in the JO levels. The first JO level to require a minimum 'move up' score is L4. I'm not familiar with Xcel mobility scores. I actually do not even know if they exist..... In JO, a gymnast must receive a minimum AA score of 31.00 in L4 (per USAG, but many gyms raise this substantially) before advancing to L5, & the same in L5 before advancing to L6. L6 does not require a mobility score; therefore, a gymnast can go directly from L5 to L7. Optional JO levels (L6 & up), meaning individualized routines with skill options, not meaning levels that are not mandatory (L6 is the exception), constitute a whole new ball game of start values, mobility requirements, skill restrictions, and composition deductions that I am just starting to learn myself. SO, now it all makes PERFECT sense, right?!?! LOL!

Xcel mobility only requires a min score to move from gold to platinum, then platinum to diamond. You can enter Xcel at bronze silver or gold. To move from gold to platinum you must score a AA of 31.00.

Xcel mobility only requires a min score to move from gold to platinum, then platinum to diamond. You can enter Xcel at bronze silver or gold. To move from gold to platinum you must score a AA of 31.00.
So, just for the sake of knowledge, if a gymnast has competed JO L8 or above, do those scores fulfill the Xcel mobility requirements, or must the gymnast start in gold and move up just as she would have to do if she moved from Xcel to JO? (Assuming she was not of an age to petition)

Xcel and JO are two different "colleges". When you transfer between, the credits you earned at one school don't transfer to the other and you must start as a freshman ( gold or L4). And you must get a passing grade to move up to the next. If you need a different way of thinking about it. :)

Xcel and JO are two different "colleges". When you transfer between, the credits you earned at one school don't transfer to the other and you must start as a freshman ( gold or L4). And you must get a passing grade to move up to the next. If you need a different way of thinking about it. :)
That's a good way to put it!

So, just for the sake of knowledge, if a gymnast has competed JO L8 or above, do those scores fulfill the Xcel mobility requirements, or must the gymnast start in gold and move up just as she would have to do if she moved from Xcel to JO? (Assuming she was not of an age to petition)
...just picturing the look on my Xcel Gold's face when your L8 walks in to "try out" for her team lol!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back