Parents Xcel to JO??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, there may be isolated instances of this, but I am in a state where the Xcel program is one of the biggest in the country. And I have never seen a BWO BHS on beam in Gold. Actually have not seen this in Platinum. So I guess that particular gym has that requirement, but it's very unusual.

It is true there's a skill range. Particularly in Bronze though, to me. Silver is pretty even here. Then Gold you start to see a lot of variation on bars. But if you meet the requirements you start from a 10. Going above and beyond doesn't help, and there are difficulty restrictions at each level.
My Gold does BHS and BWO, but separately. I have never seen a series in Gold. But this is still all pretty new to me!

Can't speak to above silver but there are no extra points for difficulty so far. You get judged on the skill you do. All our silver girls are doing minimum requirements so they score better. All are capable of mor and do more in JO. And are scoring 9.8 inXcel vs 9.5 JO

Ian pretty sure the range is not as extreme as you example though it's more like cartwheel vs hand stand on beam.

Oh, it's definitely that extreme. I will give you the tale of two actual golds. One does a handstand and a backward roll on beam. The other does a round off and a bwo. On floor one does FHS step out Ro / robhs and the other does robhsbt/ ft. On bars one does pullover/cast/bhc/squat on jump to high bar/L4 dismount and the other does kip/cast/bhc/squat on jump to high bar/kip/flyaway. The differences are HUGE in skills per level, at least here.

Oh, it's definitely that extreme. I will give you the tale of two actual golds. One does a handstand and a backward roll on beam. The other does a round off and a bwo. On floor one does FHS step out Ro / robhs and the other does robhsbt/ ft. On bars one does pullover/cast/bhc/squat on jump to high bar/L4 dismount and the other does kip/cast/bhc/squat on jump to high bar/kip/flyaway. The differences are HUGE in skills per level, at least here.
Here as well. Even within our gym.

And the skills over lap levels. Silver DD's bar routine is a kip/cast/bhc/squat on/jump to high bar/kip/tap swing dismount. Others in her gym do a long hand pull over instead of a kip on high bar. Other gyms at meets don't leave the low bar, and their routines are the same as my bronze DD's routines.

As an Aussie with no knowledge of the Excel system, can someone explain to me why there seems to be such a huge skill-range for the levels? How are the routines judged, if one kid is doing BWOBHS on beam, and another is doing a handstand (for an example)?
The easiest explanation is that, whereas JO has 10 levels, Xcel / Excel only has 5 divisions.
Gyms choose their personal philosophy for how they will run their Xcel program (Compete clean, basic routines versus compete the max, clean or not, and anywhere in between) just as they choose how to run their JO program (Compete L5 vs L6 or both, L6 = no giants vs L7 = giants, must score 36+ to advance vs must have the necessary skills for the next level to advance).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back