Parents Yet another TOPS question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gwenmom

Proud Parent
Just found out the DD's gym is offering TOPS training this summer. I am mixed on this.

How did you decide that TOPS training is right for your DD? It seems like a lot of extra hours. And my DD will be 9 this year in November. I know very little about TOPS other than what I have read on here and I seem to remember 9 is a very competitive age.

Well, if they are offering it this summer that is when testing is so that won't leave her a lot of time to get the skills. Can she do most of them already, now? Is she training Level 7 type skills in the gym already? Ask her coaches if she would be a good candidate. You can see what the skills and physical abilities are on the USAG site look for TOPS in the sidebar when you click on Women's gymnastics.

Do it! Not for the chance to sit TOPs testing, but for the conditioning. It makes a world of difference with her regular gymnastics. We knew DD had no chance at making national testing, but we kept her in it because of the positive impact it had on everything else.

Do it! Not for the chance to sit TOPs testing, but for the conditioning. It makes a world of difference with her regular gymnastics. We knew DD had no chance at making national testing, but we kept her in it because of the positive impact it had on everything else.
Yes! Exactly this.

Apparently I misunderstood. Training starts this summer for summer 2015. I am leaning towards trying it for the summer and reevaluating when school starts. Between TOPS and regular practice that is 19 hours a week this summer for an 8 yeAr old.

DD has trained TOPS for over a year now. She just turned 8 and works out over 18 hours per week. She will adjust and if it's over summer, she should be fine. The conditioning is GREAT!

Haha. If it involves more hours in the gym she is willing to. She would live there if we let her

Then you should do it. When my DD was 8 she was in the gym 19 hours (same as yours would be). It's not uncommon at this level. Now that my daughter is too old for TOPs, she is actually in the gym less hours.

Most of TOPs is conditioning tho, so she may not like it as much as regular team. But if she keeps at it she will be able to kick the boys' butts at pull ups and sit ups in school PE. :)

It seems like a lot of our girls who train TOPs like it even better than regular practice because they get to train newer, tougher, skills as well as do crunches. Only a few are training to test. Most are just training to get stronger and better.

Similar to a few here, my DD (7 years old) trains 12-15 hours JO plus 4 hours TOPs. And still doesn't stop when she gets home...

My daughter is in a sort of Pre-TOPs group, and those days are definitely her harder practices but she enjoys them the most. She really likes conditioning so it's been a good fit for her. She might be the only kid I've met who really enjoys leg lifts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back