WAG 15 year olds just starting out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

wizzie

My friend and I are just starting gymnastics at the ymca next month. We're both 15. I was wondering if we would be put in a level 1 group if we have a prep op program? My friend's mother talked to some lady at the ymca but I'm not sure if she works there or not. Anyhow, the lady said we have to go through the level process from levels 1-3 and then we can join prep op. I don't want to waste my time because I want to learn as much as I can. We only have 2 full years left before we go to college. My other friend joined gymnastics 6 months ago and is in prep op. I don't think they made her go through levels 1-3. Is anyone here in the prep op group? Did you start out in that group or have previous training before that? Thank you! :)

I'm no expert and hopefully a coach will chime in, but generally a good foundation will serve you well to be able to "learn as much as you can." You can't do a round-off back handspring without first having a solid round-off.

Don't think of going through the lower levels as "wasting your time." It wasn't wasting your time to learn your ABC's because they are the foundation for reading, writing, etc. The same holds true for gymnastics (and any sport). Being older, you may be able to progress through these levels or learning these skills more quickly, but they still must be learned.

You haven't even started yet, so go and see what they do with you and where they put you. And don't try to compare yourself to your friend's progress. You may progress more quickly or more slowly than someone else.

Good luck!

The skills build on each other. So you need to learn the skills in the lower levels before you can do the skills in the higher levels safely. I understand that you don't have a ton of time, but at the same time, you just can't rush it. It just isn't a sport that works that way. Have fun with it!

Well on one hand, getting into a prep-Op group might allow for better coaching and more hours to train since rec classes tend to be shorter.

For now, train as much as you can. An extra class, open gym, and as much strength work as you can fit in. Getting stronger, given your age will be harder so you'll have to work on it being taller and older and bigger. It will also give you more power and help you learn some of the other skills.

I started at 13 and I thought I was way too late for actually learning how to do anything cool like a bhs. But i was way wrong, in 6 months I made progress like crazy! Gymnastics has taught me so much, and my only regret is not starting earlier. Whenever I'm upset, it's what I turn to. I suggest you start off in a level 1, 2, 0r 3 class just to get used to it and make sure all your basic skills are really good, best of luck:)

I started at 15 and now I'm 18 and competing level 7 mind you I had the basics already do it was easier for me. Honestly it was the best thing for me, I am so grateful that I started gym and I am at uni and still competing :)

Thank you for all the replies and advice!

I started at 13 and I thought I was way too late for actually learning how to do anything cool like a bhs. But i was way wrong, in 6 months I made progress like crazy! Gymnastics has taught me so much, and my only regret is not starting earlier. Whenever I'm upset, it's what I turn to. I suggest you start off in a level 1, 2, 0r 3 class just to get used to it and make sure all your basic skills are really good, best of luck:)

You would recommend any of the three levels? Or would level one be the best bet? I know everyone learns at a different pace, but I feel like level one stuff could be learned pretty quickly. The classes are one day a week for 8 weeks. Level 1 class is one hour, level 2 is hour and a half, level 3 two hours. I don't know if they would let us move in between levels in the same session or not. I hope they would, if we have the skills down.

It is really helpful and encouraging to hear from other late starters :)

At our gym, ages 7 and up start in a level 2 class, but you can see the difference between the skills that the experienced kids can do and the skills the newbies can do. Every once in a while, someone new will come in with skills, but I don't know enough to know what needs improvement.

Just to update on this:

My friend and I had our first level 2 class today! It was so fun! One of the instructors said that she would talk to HC and we are going to hopefully be moving to excel bronze sometime soon. Yay! :)

On a side note: one of the little girls rejected my high five.

I was pretty disappointed.

Just to update on this:

My friend and I had our first level 2 class today! It was so fun! One of the instructors said that she would talk to HC and we are going to hopefully be moving to excel bronze sometime soon. Yay! :)

That's great! Glad to hear it is all going well :)

On a side note: one of the little girls rejected my high five.

I was pretty disappointed.

Their young...give them some time and I'm sure they'll come around! Just be a great role model for them, they will look up to you even if you don't think they are!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back