Parents 2012 American Girl of the year is a GYMNAST!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If your gymmie is an American Girl fan she'll probably be pleased to know that the 2012 American Girl of the year doll is a GYMNAST named McKenna Brooks!

I'm guessing my dd is going to want this for her birthday in March. She just got her look like you doll in August.

From the pictures I've seen she has long straight brown hair. Not sure about her eye color.

Thanks for sharing- I had to run right out and Google it to get a sneak peek. I am super duper excited about this for my DD. Especially for the gymnastics fiction- there are few too many gymnastics fiction books out there for girls.

A little disappointed this wasn't when I was younger haha.
I absolutely LOVED any dolls as a child (well really up until I was 11 and 12 years old) And American Girl Dolls were my favorite.
I still find myself thinking that i would love to have 'so and so' (I really like Julie) And i have to remind myself they would only sit on a shelf.

But i will most likely still pick up the books at the library just for a fun quick read.

Apparently there is talk of a movie as well. So cool for all the gymmies into AG dolls. I grew up as an AG fanatic (I'll bet you can guess which doll I had) and still have a soft spot for them. My mom had friends that made doll clothes and I always used swim suits as leos and made my doll a gymnast. So fun that gymnastics is part of an actual storyline!

I think the movie will be out in the spring- oops I have been told by DD it is out in the summer. They used many girls from our gym in the movie and a girl from my DD's group was the stunt double for the lead character.

Most girls thought it was a blast, but with how movies are shot in bits and pieces they could not get a true flow of the entire movie.

It will be exciting to see it and see the girls. I don't think the line of dolls is sold up here...I don't think anyways.

Last edited:
I'm so excited for this too! Brooks is a family name so it's even more fitting for my dd. I bought her tickets to the American Cup on March 3rd for her birthday and then were going to the AG store to get the doll! We can't wait! I said she wasn't going to get another doll (she has 2 bitty babies, bitty twins, Julie, Ivy, Lanie and a look like you doll named Lizzie) but how can I say no? Most of the above was bought by the grandparents so now it's my turn to splurge.

*sigh*

And here I was hoping for some diversity. Oh, American Girl, I had the first issue (and 3 years) of your magazine & we had the dolls & back then it was all progressive.

*never got over never finding a doll, ever, that looked like her*

This is very exciting! Thanks for sharing! DD is way into AG dolls right now and I JUST bought her a new one for x-mas. I know who she'll be getting next year :)

My daughter is going to be so excited! Thanks for the heads up so I can try to hide the new catalog when it comes in! LOL!!

*sigh*

And here I was hoping for some diversity. Oh, American Girl, I had the first issue (and 3 years) of your magazine & we had the dolls & back then it was all progressive.

*never got over never finding a doll, ever, that looked like her*
I was in the same boat, fortunately there was one with the same name who also had glasses! My mom actually found an 18" doll at Target that looked more like me than any of the actual AG dolls to join my Molly doll- apparently very curly auburn hair is not a speciality of the AG company.
On a similar note, I was also VERY into Cabbage Patch kids as a child and my mom fondly recalls a time when I was at the store picking out a new doll (I was around 5 or 6) and pulled ALL of the Cabbage Patch Kids off the shelf and separated them into "blonde hair/blue eyes" and "everyone else" and was incredibly upset that the blonde group greatly outnumbered the "others."

I was in the same boat, fortunately there was one with the same name who also had glasses! My mom actually found an 18" doll at Target that looked more like me than any of the actual AG dolls to join my Molly doll- apparently very curly auburn hair is not a speciality of the AG company.
On a similar note, I was also VERY into Cabbage Patch kids as a child and my mom fondly recalls a time when I was at the store picking out a new doll (I was around 5 or 6) and pulled ALL of the Cabbage Patch Kids off the shelf and separated them into "blonde hair/blue eyes" and "everyone else" and was incredibly upset that the blonde group greatly outnumbered the "others."

BAHAHAHA that is amazing! I approve. If I have children I may have to steal that...

Heard the same rumor

Was scared to post it here as I didn't want to ruin the surprise!

I also heard that the gymnast struggles some in school, and that she has a friend doll that is her tutor. Rumors, of course. Though the e-mail I recently received from AG about her said something about the new girl of the year would be cartwheeling and leaping through 2012. This is a perfect, perfect thing for my DD that is also awful, awful, awful for me. :)

My DD loves American Girl and she already has far too many dolls. It's really the only toy she plays with. She is already getting a couple of dolls for Christmas, on top of her already ridiculous collection (My mom and I are each getting her one). I have already warned my husband that we will likely purchase the whole GOTY lot next year! ;) I am super-excited for it (anticipating my DD's reaction), but am not telling her yet. We are going to Chicago in Feb for my son's birthday (visiting Shedd Aquarium and Lego Store), so I am so far just planning to let her discover it on her own, as I am sure we'll mosey on into the AG store, too. She will absolutely flip out (no pun intended!).

I told my dd about this and she was excited!! She is getting to be a little too old for dolls (will turn 13 soon), but was totally psyched to hear that the doll has long brown hair, blue eyes, is a gymnast and struggles with reading comprehension problems--just like her!!! DD just recently "retired" from gymnastics to focus more on her ballet and dance, so who knows--maybe the 2013 doll will be a ballerina!!!

Was scared to post it here as I didn't want to ruin the surprise!

Sorry mamaoftwo! I didn't even think about the "surprise" for some people. I just wanted to share with some moms I thought may be excited about it too. I need to be on the lookout for the catalog so I can grab it out of the mailbox before DD does. I want to show it to her when I am ready. I plan to come up with some chores/expectations that she needs to meet to earn the doll (and accessories). We will also probably go to the store in Chicago, perhaps a few months of completed chores and good violin practice will earn a day trip on the train to AG in Chicago. Admittedly, it will be hard for me to wait to buy her the doll!

I got the 2 books today at Barnes and Noble for DD. We will probably get the doll as soon as it comes out. Super excited. I only wish she had shorter hair. DD was already getting a new AG for a bday present and I'm glad we waited. Her bday was a few weeks ago, but she was waiting until we went to the store to pick.

just went to the AG store and the gymnast will be out Jan 1. I am sure it will be crazy in the stores. We will likely wait until we go next time we are in DC or NYC which will be a few months away

My DD, who doesn't even like dolls, was really excited when she saw the new gymnast doll. I might get it and some of the accessories for my 3 little gymnasts for Easter. My younger two love dolls, and always play "nastics" with their dolls. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back