WAG 2nd Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
It's really hard for me on this one. Because she did better but her scores were lower for the most part, except beam.
Everything was much cleaner. She missed the high bar kip AGAIN, and didn't fight for it this time. (she found out she didn't get credit for it anyway last time..sooo...) Other than that the routine was much cleaner...but scored lower than last meet.
Her vault was a whole lot better. Better run to it (remember at the last meet she had been afraid of the vault just the week before), body position going over..straight arms and legs. Both times the landing was off (about the same). But she only scored a .10 point more this time. Beam, she didn't keep her chest up in her scale and missed the handstand (again..she says she is afraid of going over backwards off the beam), but other than that she did pretty well. She stayed on the beam. Stuck her cartwheel, went off the right side on her dismount, and didn't go over time. score .7 higher this time.
Floor..poor kid..she has been working hard at getting over her fear of the ROBHSBHS. Her last meet she almost crashed and burned on the second BHS. Looked scary. Wasn't "pretty" this time. But she got it done and it didn't look like she was going to hit her head..lol. Again she scored lower (.15) then the last meet where she just about did a back headspring.
All in all her AA was .2 higher than at her first meet. If it wasn't for her beam she would have scored lower on her AA.
It's one of those things where it was more in the judging than in the performance. (judging seemed a bit tough)
It's hard to explain to a 7 yr old that, yes you did better and made improvements and corrections...but the scores didn't reflect it.
Oh well, it is what it is. On to the next.
I'm just so proud of her for over coming her fears and making the corrections and improvements. She is a superstar in my eyes

It's a good opportunity to help her learn not to focus on the scores too much. My dd definitely gets that, but she's 11 - I can see where it would be hard for a 7yo to understand. I think a lot depends on the coaches too. My dd says her coach claims to "not notice" the scores unless they're particularly high or low; she notices corrections that have been made, specific things specific gymnasts are working on, and the routine itself, not how it was scored. So I think that helps them not focus on them, but of course they do anyway! As parents we can set an example by not even mentioning the scores, but focusing on over-all improvements or the general gist, or "did you have fun?", or "how did you think that went?"

My dd's first L5 meet last spring (an in-house, "practice" meet) she scored pretty well and placed very well. Her first meet of the real season in November, she scored a lot lower and didn't place. Of course, her routines were TONS better. When she pointed out the she "did worse" than she had six months earlier, I said, "Do you really feel like you did worse routines than you did 6 months ago?" She agreed she didn't. I showed her the video as "proof" that the routines where light-years better and the scores were "just a number". Now she knows that scores can really only be compared to *that* competition with *those* judges on *that* day. And placements... you really have no control over how everyone else does, so there's no point stressing about it - it's a nice bonus when it happens, though!

Second Meet

Good job for her! Evan if it didn't really reflect her performance she still has some more to come I'm sure she will get her hight bar kip at the next competition!

Glad she had some improvements. Video works really well for meets like this, where she did better but scores don't show it. You can show her the improvements. Just be careful not to attempt to coach from the video. The video also serves to validate her personal goals (less wobbles on beam, sticking a landing, etc).

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

Her coaches are very supportive and told her she did a great job. They let her know that she met all her goals for this meet. And that's all that matters.
She is just disappointed in herself. I have told her over and over...you worry about you. That's all you can control. You can not control anyone else.
I love her to pieces. She is such a happy, positive child. So to see her down, hurts my Mama heart..lol
Like I said.. Moving on. There will always be more meets...lol
Thank you all for the advice.

Sounds like you both need the reminder that scores aren't everything and you just can't compare between meets--judges are different, etc. Focus on all the improvements she made (and it sounds like she's doing great--met all her goals--yay!!).

Congrats to her on a successful meet!

Oh, believe me, I never said that scores were everything. I always make sure she sees the silver lining. But, like I said, it is hard for me to see her dissapointed in herself because her scores didn't reflect her corrections. That is what is hard for me. Not the scores. It's just hard to get a 7 yr old to understand that it was the judges, not her. I am very aware that 4 different sets of judges can watch the same video of a routine and come up with 4 very different scores. I get this. I have a hard time getting my 7 yr old to get it. She knows she did better. She says she so herself. She just can't figure out why the score didn't show that. And because of that she is down on herself. Which makes me feel bad for her. Yes, I pointed out that her scores were lower. But I also said that it is what it is. That is was the judging, not her. That there are always more meets. That she is a superstar to me. That she made her improvements..ect. Pretty sure I don't need to be reminded that scores are not everything. But to each their own. Just like the judges, everyone sees something different when they read it. No worries.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back