Parents 3 years on a compulsory level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

YG did two years at Old L4 and then a year at current L3. She CHOSE to repeat because of beam and the DFK. At the end of that season, she was still missing the DFK. She switched to Xcel Gold instead of a 4th season at that level.
It is not typical, but each girl is different.

At our gym, it's extremely rare to repeat L3 or 4 but it does happen occasionally. It's fairly common to repeat L5 as we go 5-7(no L6) and the girls must get their giants in order to compete L7. I don't think I know of anyone that has ever repeated a compulsory level 3years but I suppose it could have happened before I was involved with team. Now that we have an Xcel program I think those kids would be steered towards the less intense track rather than repeat a third year.

I've heard of it at one gym, from transfer gymnasts who insisted they held girls back so they could win. Now I don't know the real motivation, but I do know they often did have girls repeat 3 times. I've met some of them. At my dd's gym, it is very rare that girls repeat compulsory levels. Several even skip the not required levels, or score out of levels and move up quickly. They aren't pushed, their score-out scores are usually 35+. I just couldn't pay those fees for 3 years in one compulsory level for no reason, only if there was a really good reason. Sandbagging is frowned upon, so I'd ask a lot of questions if they want your dd to repeat 3 times, it better be because she doesn't have skills or for age requirements, not "just because that's what we do." Gym is expensive, repeating for no reason is a waste of your money, her time (and your time).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back