Parents A vent and a brag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

motigymnasticsmom

Proud Parent
My dd had her states Friday. She did well, but I dont understand. She got 5th AA. Her beam was clean, still she got 8.8. Today, at home, she was on trampoline. She got front/back tuck. Back layout, backhandspring, and backhandspring layout stepout. Id put a video online, but she doesnt want me too. Oh boy, where in the world are we going????
Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

what's your point? and remember, hard to ask a question like that without sounding snarky in this kind of media. so my question is sincere. :)

You are right...I dont know what else to say. Its not a question more so, just a statement....

She said a vent and a brag.... I saw the brag, which was clear, and as a fellow gym mom, I'd say you have a LOT to be proud of. But you said you had a vent?

Oops! I re-read the post. The vent was about placing in the AA ? Or about your DD's score on beam?

Her AA was ok, but if beam wouldve been a better score. Was actually expecting a 9.4 or better on beam. We watched our recording from camera, everything was perfect, except a teeny wobble .

Her AA was ok, but if beam wouldve been a better score. Was actually expecting a 9.4 or better on beam. We watched our recording from camera, everything was perfect, except a teeny wobble .

If you were expecting that much higher, it's possible the judges didn't count something? Did you talk with the coach? This has happened to dds teammates before (thankfully not her yet). Sometimes the judge will not count a skill because she didn't "see" it. How, I have no idea... But it happens... One of the reasons we always video tape.

I know it's frustrating when the judges seem to "lowball" your DD! I am in my third year as a gym mom, and I am still not used to it! I feel like its harder for me than my DD. I will video her routines and scratch my head over scores. I am trying to become more philosophical about it. As long as it is a judged sport, it's going to happen....

Yep. One of the major downsides of a judged sport. I do think in general it bugs us more than the kids but it will always be hard

Sent from my SPH-M950 using ChalkBucket mobile app

sometimes scoring is just a mystery. A few weeks ago my DD scored WAY lower on floor than I would have expected. I mean... I wasn't expecting a 9.5+; but in general floor was judging high that day - lots of low 9s, and then DD's was something like 8.3 without any obvious mistakes. her coaches have watched and while there were some definite mistakes, none of us know what took it down that far. But... it is what it is.

I grew up as a swimmer. I always assumed my kids would be swimmers. I understand swimming and the winners are obvious. But... my kids didn't like competitive swimming. They all love gymnastics. So we have to just take the good and the bad of the sport and sometimes the judging is hard to figure out, which is definitely tough for us parents to swallow sometimes.

I guess Im so irritated because last week at gym, dds team had a mock meet. HC is also a judge. DD came home excited, said HC gave her 9.4 on floor, told her fix one minor problem. HC gave her a 9.8 on beam. HC and dds coach was expecting dd to make state team...her AAs are usually 37+. DD was really excited, didnt sleep, didnt eat...Oh, well, wait until Wed to see coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back