WAG Achieving the kip - what does it take?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twistingmia

I can do a pull-over, long hang-pullover, back and front hip circle and have a very decent cast (I learned it within 6 months). My coach said I could train with Level 4 (even 5 if I learn my back tuck in the next month!) because I am very strong and talented for a Level 3 - if I had my kip. I just tried the kip once for fun, we don't train them yet.

I really really REALLY wanna go up to level 4, I am really strong and can do various leg lifts, but everybody tells me that it takes several months to learn the kip!

Can I achieve the kip in 2-3 months if I train at home everyday? We have a small bar at home and I could train there everyday for some minutes!

Does it really take THAT long? Is it all about strength or technique?

It takes everyone a different amount of time to learn a kip. Most kids do take a few months to master it, others can achieve it in a few weeks and other take a year or more.

It's not just strength, timing and technique are the keys to developing this skill. One of the keys is just doing lots of them. I would not recommend you get a bar and practise them at home. It is quite easy to develop poor habits when training the kip without the close supervision of your coach. Once you develop these habits they can take years to undo and it will end up sending your gymnastics progress backwards not forwards.

What helped my DD was getting to practice a few minutes early and working on a strong powerful glide first, then adding in the legs to the bar after glides were strong. Then attempting 5-10 glide kips before practice. Helped her get 20-30 more attempts in per week which added up and helped move the process along! But from a novice Mom perspective, the glide being strong and fully extended was a biggie. Seemed that if she had a bad glide it went downhill from there and no kip.

My DD made her first kip about five months after it was first introduced... and about a month after frequent practice in the gym.

Seven months later, it's still rough (arms are pretty bent). Granted, she spent some time working on level 3.

That said, some girls get a gorgeous kip pretty quickly.

Not to discourage you, but I can imagine that it's something very tough to learn on your own, especially with correct form. Are you able to work on it with a coach?

For kids who walk into their first gym class with no more than a leotard and forward roll......

I've seen it take between 3 months and never ever. The differences between the two extremes are the result of differences in body type, physical gifts, mental qualities, emotional make up, family support, and hours worked. You sound to me like you'll be closer to the 3 month end of the scale than the never ever end.

Ask your coach to suggest things you can do while away from the gym. I doubt that trying them at home will be any part of the answer, and you'll probably think they don't think you're skilled enough or smart enough to do them on your own at home. Well, you'd be very wrong about them thinking either of these things. You probably have the ability to learn one, and you're smart enough to learn one..... but your learning process takes a small step backward with every mistake you repeat...... and you and I both know how many tries you'd do at home on your own. I think you can also understand that you won't know what's done right and what's done wrong, at least not often enough to be a coach. So don't try to coach yourself at home.

I just want to say it is possible to learn your kip even faster than three months. When I started gymnastics I had taught myself a few skills (front and back tuck on tramp, back/front walkovers, round offs, back/front handsprings, etc.) however I had never done bars in my life.... And guess what, I got my kip in ONE MONTH. We practiced at the most 6 hours a week so it really is possible to learn it that fast, you just have to work hard. Just wanted to give you a little hope.

Good Luck!

I just want to say it is possible to learn your kip even faster than three months. When I started gymnastics I had taught myself a few skills (front and back tuck on tramp, back/front walkovers, round offs, back/front handsprings, etc.) however I had never done bars in my life.... And guess what, I got my kip in ONE MONTH. We practiced at the most 6 hours a week so it really is possible to learn it that fast, you just have to work hard. Just wanted to give you a little hope.

Good Luck!

Thank you! I know it must be definetely a very very hard skill and it is a miletone is gymnastics. But I Want to work really hard.
Maybe I will post a new thread when I have it. Thanks!

It's weird for me. I am a mostly self-taught gymnast. I have no recollection of hours, weeks, months learning a kip. I just was able to do it. I have a gymnast who has been really, really close since the summer and still isn't there. Good luck, I'm sure you will get it sooner or later.

If you have a bar available to you outside the gym do lots of leg lifts. ie hang from the bar, no swing, and lift toes to the bar. Also, there are some floor drills that help with getting the kip. You might find some videos on YouTube.

I got mine in 6 months, on the low bar that is. My high bar kip took me maybe 2-3 but I'm not really sure. I know a girl at my gym got her on her first try, anything is pissible

It does require strength to do a kip but you mostly have to have good rhythm to make it. It all depends on the person. I got my kip pretty easily when I was in the middle of my level 4 season (new level 3). However, my teammate who is also very strong got hers 2 months before her level 5 season (new level 4). Good Luck!

Also, make sure you have a good, powerful glide swing, it makes the kip that much easier!

It took me 4 months because I simply didn't understand the timing! Now I can kip evan though my arms are bent most of the time and evan long kip sometimes! It's all about the timing

Learning to kip will be coming up soon for my daughter. If anyone would like to link at-home conditioning videos to build the appropriate muscles for it, that would be awesome! Good luck OP! Keep us posted on your progress!

Our gym does a lot of spotted kips......LOTS and LOTS....conditioning.
my daughter got it quick, out of PURE determination.
she lost it for 6 months, and now has it with super straight arms and good form.
there were lots of tears for those 6 months.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back