Parents Additional conditiong class?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
DD's gym is adding a 1 hour optional strength and conditioning class open to all team girls (levels 4+), its a Sunday afternoon. DD of course wants to do it, but we are in the gym 4x a week, and then she has an hour of dance on one of her "days off", so if we add this class that would only give her(and me!) Wednesdays off. I was leaning towards letting her do it, my husband is dead set against adding another day. What do you guys think? Oh and we do have someone to carpool with, if that makes a difference.

If she wants to and you can carpool, I would let her, but we are already 6-days a week. :) Conditioning should be done as part of their normal training though...is there some deficiency they're trying to close the gap on or is it TOPs related?

As someone who is frequently fighting the gymnastics battle with my husband, I would say if DH is dead set against it, it may not be a battle worth fighting right now. Maybe try to schedule an active family activity (hiking, bike riding, etc.) in its place. The dance class in itself is providing her with extra conditioning that other girls at the gym may not get.

If she wants to and you can carpool, I would let her, but we are already 6-days a week. :) Conditioning should be done as part of their normal training though...is there some deficiency they're trying to close the gap on or is it TOPs related?
Our gym doesn't do TOPs, the letter just said "some girls" struggled with strength and this was an extra opportunity to help.

We decided to do a trial run for a month and see how it goes.

Honestly, if your DH is against it, I would not do it. If she stays in gymnastics, you will soon be at 5 and then maybe 6 days a week training, so enjoy the days that you can have family time now while it is still an option. If dd really wants to do the conditioning, she can do much of the conditioning at home, especially if you have a pull-up bar.

Honestly, if your DH is against it, I would not do it. If she stays in gymnastics, you will soon be at 5 and then maybe 6 days a week training, so enjoy the days that you can have family time now while it is still an option. If dd really wants to do the conditioning, she can do much of the conditioning at home, especially if you have a pull-up bar.

This is what I was going to say, except that I would be against it even if hubby was for it. Enjoy your family time, and give the kid a whole day off from the go-go-go.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I think the important question here is not whether your dd should do the extra hour of conditioning, but why your husband is against the idea. You didn't tell us what his reason is, but I think you both need to sit down and discuss it. If your dd stays on team there is always going to be more hours, more travel, more expense, and it does come to dominate your family life. If it is an issue now, it is only going to get worse and I really think you need to resolve it as soon as possible. Good luck.

Sunday, blech. Have a rest day for family or homework. Depends on if you go to church or not. (example, go to church, drop kid off for strength, go have lunch). Maybe infrequently, but that tends to become less frequently and not at all.

Maybe if she can carpool or alternate carpool.

Another possibility is to maybe ask for the assignments to do at home...if your daughter wants to.

DD's gym is adding a 1 hour optional strength and conditioning class open to all team girls (levels 4+), its a Sunday afternoon. DD of course wants to do it, but we are in the gym 4x a week, and then she has an hour of dance on one of her "days off", so if we add this class that would only give her(and me!) Wednesdays off. I was leaning towards letting her do it, my husband is dead set against adding another day. What do you guys think? Oh and we do have someone to carpool with, if that makes a difference.

Is she weak?

^^^yes. If she's weak, she needs it. Lack of strength will hold her back greatly in this sport -once you're behind, it is very hard to catch up and it shows on events, especially bars. I think your coaches are providing a great opportunity for her to catch up. If your husband is so storngly against this, then you really should think to the future of your daughter in competitive gym. Pretty soon, she'll be in the gym everyday or very nearly that.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My initial reaction is there's a price for everything. In gymnastics, the price is the family's sacrifices, the "taxi mom's" time, the $$$$, and one last thing called "renewal." I don't know your child's age, level, or sense of purpose, so all I can suggest is that you get something in return that's worth the "price." Each person has a point where their "returns" for the week seem to fade due to stress, fatigue, and frustration, so is the added "price" going to create a "net gain" or a "net loss?"

If the extra hour simply adds one more portion of the same work she gets the other 4 days, I'd lean in the direction of not adding the day. I could, however, be easily swayed the other direction if the added hour was spent teaching the kids how to properly train and explaining how the strength portion of their practice time pays big dividends by making gymnastics safer, easier, and personally rewarding.

So look into what it is they'll be doing, ask the coach if your child was one of the kids they were thinking of when they came up with this idea, and then figure out if resting is more important than conditioning, because added strength work won't do her any good at all if she starts out each week feeling tired as if it were the last day of the week. Gymnastics, as many will tell you, is a "long haul" sport, so remember to plan wisely for the entire trip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back