WAG Age and Floor Music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
Is there a rule of thumb for what kind of floor music coaches/judges like to see for kids of a certain age/level. I know the floor music should fit their gymnastic style and personality but other than that I have no clue. Dd is in the process of picking out level 7 music. There is one pretty dramatic piece that she loves but coaches seem to not be too crazy about. They are pointing her toward more cutesy music. Is it really important that the music fit their age/size? Dd is 10 and tiny.

My dd is 9 and her coach was adamant about her music being "young". Dd wanted powerful, as did another coach, but the head coach said all of the powerful ones sounded too old.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

My dd is 9 and her coach was adamant about her music being "young". Dd wanted powerful, as did another coach, but the head coach said all of the powerful ones sounded too old.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

That's pretty much what I feel like the case is with my dd. I wonder why it is a problem to have powerful music as a younger/smaller child?

I'm wondering that too. My DD will need floor music for the spring. She will be 9 and both she and I don't care for cutesy music, ie Disney songs, Lollipop, etc. But thats what our gym gives the younger ones to choose from. I would think judges are sick of those songs too....

I see a lot of average looking floor routines. The ones that look the "best" seem to suit the child's physical attributes the most. These also seem to score the highest. So a petite girl really is not going to look "right" tumbling to a dramatic orchestral piece. However, I am a firm believer in the child enjoying her music, so that she is going to really perform to it. So if the same petite gymmie really wants something classical as opposed to Disney Tinkerbell, pick out something light and airy instead. Think violins and piccolos.

I think in most cases it is better to go with the gymnasts size and age, however there was one nine year old that performed a very dramatic routine beautifully and scored very very well.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Powerful music I think is hard to pull off unless you are naturally dramatic when the gymnast is young. Usually the music I see girls get will really fit their personality, their gymnastic style, not be too mature for them and one the gymnast can perform well! For example my DD is more dramatic, does well with music that is more classical and dramatic. She can really perform it well. Now if she were given an up beat chipper piece where she had to smile all the time and be perky she would never be able to pull it off. Its just not her style. You know a piece of music fits when you see the gymnast really perform it!! Its just so hard to explain until you see a routine, a gymnast and a piece of music that should never have gone together (and I've seen a few of those).

Each kid is different. The coach has to know the kid. I was very quiet when I was younger and the first floor routine I did sucked because no one thought I could perform and be showy. Having the right music, one that I loved, made all the difference in the world the next time around.

I've seen 9 year olds perform very expressive, powerful floor routines. Id never limit a child to cutesy music bc they are little. I let my kids pick, but I have veto power if I really don't think its a good fit. If they love their music, they will be able to "feel" it and perform it well.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Routines do look nice when the body type fits the music, however what really captivates the judges/audience is when the gymnast is truly performing. There's something so special about expressing musicality in a routine, and judges seem to really appreciate it when the gymnast shows passion for the choreography and music- along with great tumbling.

I'd say your dd should pick music that she LOVES. After all, creating a floor routine takes time, money, and labor. And when you think about it, there's not exactly a huge number of different floor routines in the average gymnast's career, so don't settle!

Powerful music I think is hard to pull off unless you are naturally dramatic when the gymnast is young. Usually the music I see girls get will really fit their personality, their gymnastic style, not be too mature for them and one the gymnast can perform well! For example my DD is more dramatic, does well with music that is more classical and dramatic. She can really perform it well. Now if she were given an up beat chipper piece where she had to smile all the time and be perky she would never be able to pull it off. Its just not her style. You know a piece of music fits when you see the gymnast really perform it!! Its just so hard to explain until you see a routine, a gymnast and a piece of music that should never have gone together (and I've seen a few of those).
This is DD's floor routine from last year. Callie's Level 7 Floor - YouTube
She is at a new gym and will need new floor routine. She too does NOT like anything cutsie. Her tumbling is very powerful and she would like music that is strong and dramatic. We are hoping new coaches will agree. The music she had last season seemed to fit her personality and it wasn't "Little Mermaid" like. DD said she would like more graceful dancing as well. By the way she was 8 turning 9 last season and this year she will be 9 turning 10.

Is there a rule of thumb for what kind of floor music coaches/judges like to see for kids of a certain age/level. I know the floor music should fit their gymnastic style and personality but other than that I have no clue. Dd is in the process of picking out level 7 music. There is one pretty dramatic piece that she loves but coaches seem to not be too crazy about. They are pointing her toward more cutesy music. Is it really important that the music fit their age/size? Dd is 10 and tiny.

We used a professional choreographer. I realize many people think it is a waste to spend that kind of money on a level 7 routine, but it was worth it for our girls. Each girl had music that fit there age/size and was music that they enjoyed performing. They have recently all had their routines updated for level 8 and are using the same music and routines. I would imagine a coach and gymnast trying to choose music could be very frustrating. The coach only does it once a year, where the professional choreographer does it year round.

I'd have to agree with most the posters. If your child doesn't like her music she's not going to preform it well!!
Also, you can always add some cute things to a more dramatic routine!! Sucks as Callie's worm!

This is DD's floor routine from last year. Callie's Level 7 Floor - YouTube
She is at a new gym and will need new floor routine. She too does NOT like anything cutsie. Her tumbling is very powerful and she would like music that is strong and dramatic. We are hoping new coaches will agree. The music she had last season seemed to fit her personality and it wasn't "Little Mermaid" like. DD said she would like more graceful dancing as well. By the way she was 8 turning 9 last season and this year she will be 9 turning 10.

That is a really great routine! Thank you for sharing. That is a nice balance of powerful but still fun!

My DD is 13, and picked her floor music for the first time this summer. We, also, ran into this situation, but I think she and her coach made an excellent choice. Her music is very dramatic (String Madness)...but it sounds more mature than others my DD liked, and she absolutely LOVES it! Plus, my DD also plays cello in her school orchestra, so I thought it fit her personality even more! Now, to keep praying that she scores out of level 5 to get to optional a!

That is a really great routine! Thank you for sharing. That is a nice balance of powerful but still fun!
I agree nice balance of power but still fun is How I would describe it too. The best thing is when the kids love their music and really perform it well.

GymmieC... That routine was exactly what I was describing. It suited your DDs body type and age. I would argue that the music and routine were on the cute side, without being too "cute".

Last year, we had 6 Optional gymnasts... 4 L7 and 2 Xcel Gold. MY sister doesn't go to practices EVER and only makes it to 2 meets a year. At the first meet she attended, she commented on how each gymnast's music "suited" her. We had 2 girls age 11. One did a Disney piece and it was PERFECT for her. The other one (my older gymmie) did a Linkin Park mix - it was great for her (of course, 2 weeks before Nationals, she decided that she wanted a Rihanna mix and a completely new routine - it was great too). We also had a 12 year old that had an Alladin 40 Thieves Routine a 13 year old with James Bond, a 14 year old with a country mix (devil went down to georgia and cotton eye joe), and a 15 year old that chose a really dramatic piece.
They have all picked new music this year (except older gymmie that is keeping her Rihanna, just had to cut to the new length requirement and revamp entire routine). We have added a lot of other Optionals too and will have to see if their music suits them. It will take time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back