WAG Amount of Practice Time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Soooo...I was thinking about joining team in the summer and I have a few questions about how much practice time is involved. So I want to know what level you are, how many practices you have and for how long and does your practice schedule change for summer break and if so what is it like in the summer. Thank you!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My dd is L6. She practices 4 days/week for 3 hours/practice (total 12 hours/week).

Same amount of time during the summer, just practices at different times (during the afternoon rather than at night.) She also attends a 1-week mandatory camp at our gym which is 9-3:30 and will attend a 1-week optional sleepaway camp at Woodward with her team.

DD is JO L8 and is 4x's a week for a total of 18 hours a week. When comp season comes there may be a few additional hours for a total of 20 hours. Summer practice is 20 hrs a week days are changed so no sat- sun practices which gives us the weekends free with family.

the PrepOp/Excel program has alot less hours and they too compete so if your looking for a team experience but not so many hours that might be a good option too.

I don't know what your gym is like but usually you can't just say 'I'll think I'll join JO team for the summer" Usually my experience is you have to be invited to join a team based on your practices with either Pre-team, Prep Op or rec classes.

Level 7, four practices a week, 15 hours a week, 4 practices (Tues, Thurs and Fri are all 3 hours and saturday is 5hrs)

My level 5 gymmie practices 12 hours per week (4 days @ 3 hours each). My little one on level 4 practices 9 hours per week (3 days @ 3 hours each). Summer hours are the same but the times will change.

My dd is level 3/4, and practices 4 hrs, 3x a week. I am told hours will probably increase in the summer, and she'll also likely go to a camp for 5 or 6 days (commuter, not overnight).

My DD is L4, and she practices 4 days per week, 2.25 hours three of those days, and 3 hours the other day, for a total of 9.75 hours per week. The amount of hours will stay the same in the summer, but the time of day may change.

My daughter is pre team and 9 hours per week. our level 3's do 8 hours and level 4's do 12. Our gym prefers four hour practices for everyone except pre team.

I'm surprised how usual it is to train four hours a day in lower levels too. In here lover levels usually train 2-5 times a week for 2 or 2.5 hours a day. Higher levels (optionals and elite track gymnasts) train 6-9 times a week for 3 or 3.5 hours. They have morning practices also during school week.

I wonder how you parents can drive your kids to practices so early that they can practice 4 hours at time? I suppose they practice from 4.00pm to 8.00pm?

I'm surprised how usual it is to train four hours a day in lower levels too. In here lover levels usually train 2-5 times a week for 2 or 2.5 hours a day. Higher levels (optionals and elite track gymnasts) train 6-9 times a week for 3 or 3.5 hours. They have morning practices also during school week.

I wonder how you parents can drive your kids to practices so early that they can practice 4 hours at time? I suppose they practice from 4.00pm to 8.00pm?

Our practices for levels 6 and up are all 3 hours. We don't have 4-hour practices.

My DD, JO L6, practices three times a week for a total of 12 hours. Our weekend practice is a little longer than the two during the week.

School is out at 2:10 pm (she starts at 7am) she takes the bus home is in the door by 2:30 - gets dressed does some homework if she hasn't finished it already we leave the house by 3:20 and get to the gym about 30 min later. She is there either until 8pm or 8:30 pm depending on the day of the week. she is home by 8:30 or 9pm eats a lite dinner does any homework not done, watches a little TV or showers then to bed. Gets up at 6am to start it all again.

Yes, my dd has practice from 4-8 p.m. 2x during the week, and from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Saturday. Higher levels go the same time slot, but more days per week.

My 6 year old DD is level 4. She practices 12 hours a week during the school year and it will be 15 hours a week in the summer time.

Our L5s go three days a week for 3.5 hours with invitation to an extra 2 hour workout during the weekend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back