Parents Ankle Injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My oldest dd has an Ankle Injury, her gp has said that it is soft tissue damage (ligament) and that dd has to be careful for a week or 2 - no sudden twisting but is ok to do things in a straight line, told the gp that dd is a gymnast and asked if she can still do gym and was told she could as there are other things she can do in the gym and that she can do floor ( his best friend is a physio for the Olympics so he was able to get info from him), she was told no tennis and sports is ok at school as long as no twisting and turning until healed, had a chat with dd's PE teacher and he has excluded her from PE for a week at least as he said dd was not the type to do things by halves and would probably overdo things.

Dd has no strapping on her foot as it wouldn't help, she has to wear a sock in bed to put pressure on it.

Dd will go to gym but I will let her coaches know what the GP said. Dd didn't hurt her foot at gym, it happened at school, she must have rolled it.

Has anyone else had ligament damage and carried on going to gym? Dd did gym last night before her appointment today without any issues.

My oldest dd has an Ankle Injury, her gp has said that it is soft tissue damage (ligament) and that dd has to be careful for a week or 2 - no sudden twisting but is ok to do things in a straight line, told the gp that dd is a gymnast and asked if she can still do gym and was told she could as there are other things she can do in the gym and that she can do floor ( his best friend is a physio for the Olympics so he was able to get info from him), she was told no tennis and sports is ok at school as long as no twisting and turning until healed, had a chat with dd's PE teacher and he has excluded her from PE for a week at least as he said dd was not the type to do things by halves and would probably overdo things.

Dd has no strapping on her foot as it wouldn't help, she has to wear a sock in bed to put pressure on it.

Dd will go to gym but I will let her coaches know what the GP said. Dd didn't hurt her foot at gym, it happened at school, she must have rolled it.

Has anyone else had ligament damage and carried on going to gym? Dd did gym last night before her appointment today without any issues.
yes, send her to gym plenty to do and see while healing. :)

I think with ligaments there's so many degrees of injury that it isn't necessarily a case of one size fits all.
What's difficult with a child who enjoys sports is getting them to listen to their body, but if you can encourage her to do that it should help her recovery.
Is she having any physio? Do you know which ligaments are damaged?

P&F had a minor sprain just before a big comp. Physio (sports physio) assessed it, strapped it with K tape, and said she should be okay to compete on the Sunday, but to rest until then. As has been said there are so many degrees of injury, only a medical practitioner can assess.

The only thing that has EVER stopped me from sports for any length of time was cracked ribs... and one of my many concussions. My torn biceps wasn't diagnosed until a week after it happened. I thought it was just a badly pulled muscle, so I didn't say anything to anyone. My track coach noticed that my shot put throws were the worst on the team, when on the throw in which it was injured, I set the school record... so she said something to my dad when he picked me up. He made an appt with the dr for the next day. Then it was OFFICIALLY diagnosed. I did NOT follow Dr's orders and I am still paying for it 28 years later.
I continued sports through everything else (sprained ankle, sprained wrist, broken finger, broken toe, the rest of my concussions- I know, bad idea). I was just careful about what I did while injured. As long as your daughter's coaches know her current limitations and she understands how important it is to follow Dr's orders, she will be fine at gym.

Good luck!

Bars, conditioning, flexibility, etc, etc, etc. You might also want to try some lemon grass oil . . . recently heard this helps with ligament repair.

I think with ligaments there's so many degrees of injury that it isn't necessarily a case of one size fits all.
What's difficult with a child who enjoys sports is getting them to listen to their body, but if you can encourage her to do that it should help her recovery.
Is she having any physio? Do you know which ligaments are damaged?

It is the side of her foot, just under the outside ankle bone, dd has hyper mobility of the hips and I have always suspected that her ankles might be effected as well by the way they move but nothing has been diagnosed yet.

Dd has no pain today but has got gym so I will let her coached know what has happened so they can keep an eye on her and modify things when necessary, she has a competition on 7th June (first at her gym) so they are working on routines and doing conditioning.

Dd should have done gymnastics yesterday at an after school club but didn't stay ( hard floor and thin mats - wasn't worth it this week).

That's great news that she's not got any pain today. I think she'll be fine for her comp.
How does she feel about the stability?

That's great news that she's not got any pain today. I think she'll be fine for her comp.
How does she feel about the stability?

She was fine at gym today, she did her usual conditioning etc, went on the beam, ran through her floor routine a few times and then went to work on some heavily spotted front handsprings off a block onto a crash mat and also did some handstand flat backs using a spring board and crash mat, she said she didn't jump too hard. My dd also did some swings on the high bar over a pit, she said her foot hurt a little bit after gym but not too bad, she now has no more gym until Monday.

Took my oldest dd to A&E today as she was still in pain and limping, the said she had sprained it and if she is still in pain and limping in a few days she has to go back to the hospital. The A&E doctor said no gymnastics until she is feeling better, she will have tonight off to rest and I will chat to her coach and see what they say (in case it is till hurting next week and if they want her to go in for conditioning) dd does not have another gymnastics session until next Thursday and should be trampoline on Monday (no chance of that unless better)

Make sure you let it fully heal! My dd was plagued by angle sprains her whole optional time. The sports medicine doc told her NEVER take motrin for a sprain as it stops the bodies ability to heal. The swelling actually is the body sending extra blood to the area to promote the healing of ligaments and tendons. My daughter ended up doing PRP treatments and it was a miracle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back