Ankle weights

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Libby's gym mom

Proud Parent
My dd has been told by her coach to do extra stretches and lifts ,wearing her ankle weights . She is 7 and wears 0.5kg dd says they're too light ?? Should I go heavier ?

Personally I don't like ankle weights, and prefer to use therabands for stretching. If your dd's coach has asked for weights to be used is stick with the 0.5kg ones :)

From what I have seen they don't use ankle weights on children that age at dd's gym but they do for the older ones, they use therabands a lot. My 7 year old has used hand weights occasionally though.

Ankle weights are fantastic! Used with all ages in our gym. I use 1.5 kg weights. Excellent for doing leaps then after you take it off you kick so much harder!

Ankle weights are fantastic! Used with all ages in our gym. I use 1.5 kg weights. Excellent for doing leaps then after you take it off you kick so much harder!
So you say you do split jumps, split leaps and needle with ankle weights?

great idea! what weight would you recommend for a 5'3'' and 115lbs gymnast?!

I have 0,75kg each at home but was wondering if they were too light?

But I also think that heavier ones may be bad for groin/hip?

Our kids do rope climbs with ankle weights....not sure if this falls in the ok or not good. They don't do much else with them. They are 2lbs I believe

weights, whilst they may have some beneficial effect also come with a serious injury risk. Therebands produce an equal stress on the muscle at maximum stretch, however when coming out of that stretch the pressure is taken off the muscles, reducing the risk of injury. Our girls do not use weights for active stretching.

Yes I was wondering that too. I read it as standing, single leg raises or 'bobs' as we call them to increase active flexibility but I realise it could mean leg lifts on bars - hope not though.
Sorry still a bit of a novice lol
By lifts I meant sitting upright on a chair , making sure the seat supports the back of the knee . She then has to raise her ankles as far as poss while pointing toes . This is to help build the muscle behind the knee and help to straighten her legs . Hope that makes sense xx

weights, whilst they may have some beneficial effect also come with a serious injury risk. Therebands produce an equal stress on the muscle at maximum stretch, however when coming out of that stretch the pressure is taken off the muscles, reducing the risk of injury. Our girls do not use weights for active stretching.
What's a theraband x

P&F group tie them to wall bars and use them to kick out, also they tie them round the ankles and practice leaps

So you say you do split jumps, split leaps and needle with ankle weights?

great idea! what weight would you recommend for a 5'3'' and 115lbs gymnast?!

I have 0,75kg each at home but was wondering if they were too light?

But I also think that heavier ones may be bad for groin/hip?
I am about the same size I would go 1 kg on each leg!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back