Any other gymnasts feeling this way?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dreamer3773

So gymnastics is a tough sport, everyone knows that. It is extremely physically demanding, and sometimes the roughness gets to you. Many gymnasts know what having an injury is like, it stresses you out even more, when will i be back? How am i going to get my skill in time? When we get hurt it is not just being hurt that bothers us, it is the fact of not being able to do what we love, the fact that we can't do our best tricks. Anyway, last summer i had a pre-stress fracture in my back, we got it fixed and i was fine, until recently. My back has been hurting severely bad, my coaches and parents know this. My parents reaction is that i need to take a break, the problem is it is meet season and everyone knows there are no breaks in meet season. So i am attending massage therapy and my mom is hoping it helps, but i am scared that it won't. My biggest meet of the season is in 3 weeks (Chicago Style invitational), and I need to be in tip-top shape. Is anyone out there feeling the pressure of an injury getting to them? Also any suggestions to help relax/calm nerves like these are greatly appreciated.

Even though you want to compete and continue it is best that you take time off and go see a doctor to get a diagnosis and information about recovery. Possibly also physio therapy, they will work on your back to make it less tight and give you excerices and stretches to help it heal and stop it from returning. If you end up continually working through it you may end up having to quit entirely if it gets to that stage. I know bog's DD had to quit gymnastics and get back surgery due to a stress fracture and was out of sports for a six months? (not entirely sure here how long). So in the long run, it is better to take the time off now and heal than to work through it and end up having to quit all together.

Yes, I'm dealing with 2 prestress fractures in my leg again (joy! :( ) and while Im not in your exact situation, I have a lot of pressure to get my skills now so I can score out, and I don't want to disappoint my coaches. what I do which helps is every night after gym and sometimes before if I have time, I soak in muscle and joint soothing bathing oils or bubble bath, avalible at pretty much any pharmacy or grocery store. that stuff helps, it a lifesaver! Also, try a back brace. My team mat has the same thing and she wears a brace.

Not an injury but an illness. Before the Holiday break I got really sick and just never really got better even after going to the doc several times. Turns out I had pneumonia and I almost ended up dying because I also have bad asthma and I was in the hospital for 6 days. I'm young and fit but it kicked my butt. I am still weak and lost a lot of muscle especially in my legs. I just attended my first practice since getting the okay and it was really rough. I was out over a month. I am already missing one meet and the next one is 5 weeks away. I worked really hard to move up from level 9 to 10 on double mini and now my coach is wanting me to do 9 again and it is frustrating and a bummer cause I worked so hard at it. So yeah I get it.

wow! i have been wondering where you have been. so glad to see your back AND ALIVE. geez louise that can be scary.:)

Definitely know that feeling, I was out for 8 months on injury and was completely stressed about whether I'd compete this year (junior year) and that sad feeling of not being able to flip around for hours :( And imagine how much muscle I lost after no physical activity for 8 months! :eek: But I got through it and came back super motivated and worked hard and I am competing this season :D. So in your case, try not to stress to much and honestly time off may be best. There's always another competition after it heals but not if you keep going and it gets so bad that your done for good! And have to deal with back problems for the rest of your life.. Go to a doc!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back