Parents Anyone else send their kid(s) off to camp this week?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Two kids, two camps, opposite directions (of course), both dropped off safe and sound. Mom's a little sad though. Funny, because when my husband takes them to visit his folks (sometimes for 2 weeks at a time) or they're with my mom, or whatever, I enjoy the quiet house that doesn't get messy faster than I can clean it. So I suppose my sadness must have more to do with lack of control of the situation more than it does with their actual absence. Ah well... I'm sure it's good for both of us. They both went to the same camps last year, so I thought it would be easier this year, but I'm not sure that it is.

I do think it's funny that Woodward already has the cabin photos up on their website. By the time our kids have kids, there will just be satelites shooting video of each individual kid 24/7 so the parents can watch remotely. ;) Good thing they don't have that now, or I'd never get any work done this week...

Mine is going to camp this week, too. I'm a little nervous b/c she'll be flying by herself, but I know she's fine with it. I agree, the idea of the satelite technology could be fun, but us moms wouldn't be able to get anything done! LOL!

WOW the Public schools in our area aren't even out until the 22nd so no Camps can start for the kids around here. Lots of snow storms means out later in June.

Most of the camps (not just gym camps) in my area start on the 26th. My DD heads out on July 10th.

(My dd is private school so she has been out since the 9th)

WOW the Public schools in our area aren't even out until the 22nd so no Camps can start for the kids around here. Lots of snow storms means out later in June.

Most of the camps (not just gym camps) in my area start on the 26th. My DD heads out on July 10th.

This is session 3 at Woodward, so it's been going for a while now. As you get later into the summer, the sessions get increasingly more expensive (and then prices go down again a bit at the end of the summer).

Mine is going to camp this week, too. I'm a little nervous b/c she'll be flying by herself, but I know she's fine with it. I agree, the idea of the satelite technology could be fun, but us moms wouldn't be able to get anything done! LOL!

I was flying by myself to visit my grandma when I was only 6 or so... but that was when my mom could walk me right up to the the gate and see me get on the plane and my grandma could meet me at the gate on the other end of the trip. I suspect this is still possible when you have a kid flying, but it probably takes a lot more planning and effort to get permission to do it. Did you get confirmation that she arrived safely, or are you figuring that no news is good news?

I'm sure your girls are having a wonderful time, Mary :)

My DD is going to Pitt's Panther gym camp this week, but it's a commuter, not overnight. I got her schedule last week for camp and it's a long day for a 7 year old (9 am - 6 pm, for 4 days). I'm interested to see how she'll handle it ;) She really wants to go to IGC or Woodward next summer, but I'm still leery about letting her go to camp alone for a week. I am sure, as with most things, it is waaay harder on us Moms than our kids!

Mine is at camp this week also, but I'm here with her. I'm not usually a drop and run gym mom, so it's strange for me to not be there with her and not know if she's doing okay. She's very shy and not good with new situations at the beginning, so I'm a little bit worried. I have all kind of stupid worries like will she be too shy to ask to go the the bathroom, will she know where the bathroom is, etc. It's dumb I know, but these are my thoughts. I don't plan on going to see her at all, though there is a area for limited parent viewing. I figure it's better to stay away and let her deal. I'm sure by the end of the day she'll have a million new friends. She's shy, but she warms up fast.

I did hear that her evaulation went well yesterday. She was able to show all of her skills on each event and is in a level 5/6 group. I did have a slight fear that she would be shy and nervous and do poorly, but she did fine. She's shy when it comes to talking to adults, but gymnastics wise she's not shy. I think she's more comfortable with the gymnastics, just don't ask her a question.

I did hear that her evaulation went well yesterday. She was able to show all of her skills on each event and is in a level 5/6 group. I did have a slight fear that she would be shy and nervous and do poorly, but she did fine. She's shy when it comes to talking to adults, but gymnastics wise she's not shy. I think she's more comfortable with the gymnastics, just don't ask her a question.

This is my fear... that she won't have done well on the evaluation and will be in an inappropriate training group. She usually does well under pressure, so I'm not sure why I'm worried. I guess because I'm a mom. I've heard the kip is the big cut-off between the beginning group and the intermediate group, and though she competed her kip all season, I found out from another mom (whose daughter called home) that they had to do the kip from the floor and not from a block or a springboard, like they do at the gym, so now I'm paranoid that maybe she couldn't do it.

My other DD is like yours... slow to warm up and not always great in new/uncomfortable situations. Last year I dropped her off at dance camp where she knew nobody and was one of the youngest girls there. I didn't hear anything from anybody for the whole week, so I was guessing that she was, at the very least, holding it together O.K. (I assumed they would call me if she was totally freaking out) but it turns out she did great and was dying to go back again this year. Isn't it great when out kids exceed our expectations?

This is session 3 at Woodward, so it's been going for a while now. As you get later into the summer, the sessions get increasingly more expensive (and then prices go down again a bit at the end of the summer).

Week 3!! No way anyone from around here could go unless they missed school

Cher my teammate got out on the thursday after labor day so their last week of school was only 3 days. we dont get snow days so no extra days to tack on. i got out on thursday the 9th, some people got out the 10th, some got out monday the 13th, and i think the last round of people got out last wednesday and thursday. so my teammate could have gone to camp week one or two

This is my fear... that she won't have done well on the evaluation and will be in an inappropriate training group. She usually does well under pressure, so I'm not sure why I'm worried. I guess because I'm a mom. I've heard the kip is the big cut-off between the beginning group and the intermediate group, and though she competed her kip all season, I found out from another mom (whose daughter called home) that they had to do the kip from the floor and not from a block or a springboard, like they do at the gym, so now I'm paranoid that maybe she couldn't do it.

My other DD is like yours... slow to warm up and not always great in new/uncomfortable situations. Last year I dropped her off at dance camp where she knew nobody and was one of the youngest girls there. I didn't hear anything from anybody for the whole week, so I was guessing that she was, at the very least, holding it together O.K. (I assumed they would call me if she was totally freaking out) but it turns out she did great and was dying to go back again this year. Isn't it great when out kids exceed our expectations?

I was a bit nervous about the evaluation for my DD too. I had heard it was important that she showed them a kip. I wasn't worried about any other skill. She almost never gets it on her first try at the gym and then she had been out for almost 2 weeks for vacation, so I was thinking it wouldn't happen, but thank goodness it did. I don't know how many tries they get, but she said she made her first one.

I know I'm worried about nothing and she'll be fine and have a blast. I'm sure your DD did great too and I'm sure she did her kip.

Pickle's at camp at the University this week. It's just a week long day-camp.

It was different from other (non-gymnastics) camps that she's gone to. There was no speech from the director or getting to know you activity first thing. The girls gathered on the floor at promptly at 9 someone started the warm up. I'm assuming that this is to get the kids less nervous and they will do some sort of introductions afterwards, but I didn't stick around to find out.

I think she was surprised at how small the facility is. She goes to a big gym for our area (about 80 kids on team and far more in the rec program). I had to remind her that there's only about a dozen girls who usually work out there, so they don't need 8 sets of bars.

I was flying by myself to visit my grandma when I was only 6 or so... but that was when my mom could walk me right up to the the gate and see me get on the plane and my grandma could meet me at the gate on the other end of the trip. I suspect this is still possible when you have a kid flying, but it probably takes a lot more planning and effort to get permission to do it. Did you get confirmation that she arrived safely, or are you figuring that no news is good news?

DD has flown by herself before, but it's always been to grandparents house. This is the 1st time I'm having a stranger pick her up. She's doing the Karolyi Camp in Texas, & their camps run Tues through Sun, so she is on her flight to Houston right now. I keep checking the flight status updates & I've sent her with a cell phone so that she can call me when she arrives. The camp will pick her up from the airport & it sounds like this is something they do all the time, but I'm still nervous. Her friend from her old gym has been down there since Saturday, so we both have the mom's cell number handy, just in case.

Most of the schools here aren't out until the end of this week too, but I know some of the kids doing camp are just missing the last week of school. My DD also goes to private school, so she got out last week.

Dropped my daughter off at camp at the University of Florida on Sun. Pick her up Thursday....she is having a ball and is much too busy to want to talk to me! LOL!

Woo hoo! DD has landed in Houston and someone from the camp was at the gate to pick her up! Now I can stop watching my computer and cell phone.:D

Coaches are visiting Woodward today. Just got a text from the HC that Kathy was doing giants this morning! Now, I'm sure she was heavily assisted, and after leaving camp I doubt she'll do another one until she returns next summer, but I can only imagine that she is over the moon excited about doing them! Some other moms and I are visiting tomorrow (so many advantages to having a great gym camp only 40 minutes away!) so I can't wait to have her tell me all about it!

DD is just loving camp. She was very excited that she got to do RO BT yesterday. Like you said Mary, she was probably heavily assisted and won't do them once she gets home, but it was still exciting for her.

Pickle also had a great time at camp too. She did a layout on the tramp for the first time and did some sort of drill for a free cartwheel that I didn't quite understand.

It's going to be hard to go back to the gym where the focus is on conditioning and routines.

Visited camp tonight and Kathy is in the group that's two groups above where she was last year, so I guess I needn't have worried about the placements. 4 of the 7 of them that are there from our gym are in that same group, so that's nice for them. Though I was impressed that, while they obviously enjoyed being together, they weren't joined at the hip. I was there for open gym and some of the girls from our gym headed for the beams, but Kathy was adamant about wanting to work on bars (pretty amazing to me given that she's not usually crazy about bars and she has the mother of all rips)... they all headed off in opposite directions to work on whatever they were focussed on at the moment.

Also, last year Kathy seemed intimidated about telling the open gym coaches what she wanted to work on, so she just ended up doing the things that she already knew how to do over and over again. But tonight I saw her telling the guy standing at the bars she was training on (who looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but there) that she wanted him to spot her fly-aways, or baby-giants, or whatever.

So, I guess I'm impressed with the improvements she's making in gymnastics, but I'm most impressed by the maturity and self-confidence she is gaining. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back