WAG Anyone know about AAU 3 bars routine? squat on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
I'm confused. My 8 yo DD is finishing up her season competing as AAU3. (next year the gym is swapping to all USAG.)

At all of the competitions all of the teams have had girls on bar do a squat on before their dismount. There is one team that none of the girls are doing the squat on though. At one meet they initially scored low, apparently the judge said they left out a skill. The coach pulled out a rule book and said that they didn't miss a skill. All scores were adjusted. The only thing that I noticed that seemed to be missing was the squat on.

So, is the squat on a required skill in AAU3? If not, why do so many of the teams do it? As far as I'm aware there are no bonuses for girls compulsory, right? (I also have a son, I know about the bonuses there; but thought that there weren't bonuses for girls..)

The AAU 3 bars routine where we are does not have the squat on. However, there are options in many of the routines. There aren't bonus' for these options, just choices in how to do the routine. For example, on the L3 AAU floor routine, girls can do a back walk-over or a back handspring or on bars they can do a cast under swing dismount or the straddle dismount. There aren't bonus points, just gym preferences (or differences in what the individual girls can do) Maybe this is how it is where you are with the squat on.

I think they can do either a tuck, pike, or straddle into the underswing, so maybe that is the source of confusion.

In AAU Level 3 there are three dismount choices:
1. Squat on to a piked sole circle
2. Straddle on to a sole circle
3. Cast underswing

There is also an added cast (worth .8) after the single leg cut backwards.

I'm judging level 3 bars at AAU Winter Nationals this weekend...thanks for making me look this up ahead of time!! :)

In AAU Level 3 there are three dismount choices:
1. Squat on to a piked sole circle
2. Straddle on to a sole circle
3. Cast underswing

There is also an added cast (worth .8) after the single leg cut backwards.

I'm judging level 3 bars at AAU Winter Nationals this weekend...thanks for making me look this up ahead of time!! :)

so does that mean that they can get an extra .8 if they do that extra cast, or they lose .8 if the do NOT do the extra cast?

This is all very interesting to me. My DD really struggled to get the squat on/sole circle. She had the cast underswing for quite a while before that. I wonder why the coaches pushed for the squat on.

I tell you - girls' is harder for me to understand than boys'!

Piked sole circle dismount is the USAG level 3 dismount. The skill also prepares them to learn an actual squat on, which they'll need forever on bars. Maybe that's why?

Piked sole circle dismount is the USAG level 3 dismount. The skill also prepares them to learn an actual squat on, which they'll need forever on bars. Maybe that's why?

That makes sense. Our gym is in the process of swapping to all USAG, so maybe they just want to go ahead and go that way when there are options...

Dudes ... the AAU routines vary by state. National routines may be different that the run of the mill meet routines in her state. We have to switch up our routines for nationals.

GA AAU dismount is a cast squat on, pike sole circle dismount. They do get a deduction if they do not show the squat position it is a flat 0.20 deduction. There is also another cast after the leg cut before the cast squat on- so technically there are two casts before the dismount. I can only speak for Georgia though... Each state and national rules are different.

GA AAU dismount is a cast squat on, pike sole circle dismount. They do get a deduction if they do not show the squat position it is a flat 0.20 deduction. There is also another cast after the leg cut before the cast squat on- so technically there are two casts before the dismount. I can only speak for Georgia though... Each state and national rules are different.

I'm in GA. And that sounds like what my DD does. I wonder why this one gym is only doing the cast underswing... And it isn't like only a few girls on the team who don't have the skill. It is the entire team...

Lol... i could be that coach! I forgot to mention that there is the option for doing the underswing dismount in GA... and that you only do one cast for that instead of the two. It's not clearly worded in the rules and I have had to sit down with the judges at two meets and talk about it. We were initially doing it for the AAU L4 routine which has an underswing in it... But have gone back to the squat on/pike sole circle to avoid the controversy!

It is so interesting to try to figure out what all is going on with the girls and what their routines are. :)

It was funny. At one meet I was sitting with another family who have a level 6 boy. All of a sudden he looked up and said, "wait! They have different music playing!! You mean there is another option for their music? I'm so sick of that song. I wish that our gym would swap to this one just for a tiny bit of a change!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back