WAG Anyone who knows back problems-Spondy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Ok, so a teammate has some serious back issues....definitely thesis.....and possibly already some nerve pinching that will get worse with age, (as everything does).
The kid wants to stay in the gym somehow and possibly just seriously modify what she can do, or perhaps try trampoline? Anyone with back issues or knowledge, what is your advice?

My guess is she really is done in the sport- but I like to ask those with actual experience.....ending in the sport so abruptly is so hard!

Trampoline is even worse for spondy than gym, it is very, very hard on the back.

She could modify what she does if the coaches will work with her, and she is not in pain. But I just do not think it is worth it.

Trampoline is even worse for spondy than gym, it is very, very hard on the back.

She could modify what she does if the coaches will work with her, and she is not in pain. But I just do not think it is worth it.
I agree.... Parents are in a exploration mode. Girl is out for sure for 3 mo.....in the mean time they are exploring possibilities.....I had no idea that tramp is worse....I would have thought it is low impact....
They have excellent doctors so I'm sure they will guide them.....its just so hard to see a family go through this in such an abrupt way. Maybe During time she is out, and she can explore alternatives, she will naturally find a new center of friends. Time.

I would not mess around with spondy, especially if there is slippage and nerve damage (thesis). Just when we thought D had spondylolysis, we had him off everything at gym. He did nothing but some very basic conditioning and some stretching his PT gave him.

good luck to the teammate. That is tough.

I agree......I'm freaking out now about my gymmie!!!!!!
She says sometimes her lower back can hurt occasionally from doing back handsprings.......I am freaking out now!!!!!

I agree......I'm freaking out now about my gymmie!!!!!!
She says sometimes her lower back can hurt occasionally from doing back handsprings.......I am freaking out now!!!!!
Breathe!!! It sounds like from what you say that your dd is ok. But it can't help having this happen to her teammate. Ugh!!!

@munchkin3 I have started taking dd to a chiropractor every couple of weeks and it's done wonders for her. GP and even sports Ortho always wanted ice/heat, rest, or steroid shots and never got results (except with actual breaks). It was the chiropractor that fixed her arch and peraneal tendinitis, fixed her back after she lawn chaired of high bar, and reset her shoulder and wrist that had bugged her for months was better in 1 day.

Doubt it will do anything for OP at this point, but I'm hoping an ounce of prevention...

No amount of chiro will prevent spondy. It is an overuse injury, caused in the gym. Lack of shoulder flexibility and too many arching skills are the main culprits. You can do all you want out of the gym to make you feel better, and boy I know this, and it makes absolutely 0% difference.

If I knew then what a I know now my kids would have been done with gym years earlier.

Not every child has a body that can stand the rigors of the sport and not every coach knows what they are doing.

An orthopedist we saw recently did recommend chiropractic treatment, but only after definitively ruling out through multiple imaging techniques any form of spondy or stress reaction. You need to be sure that you are dealing with a muscular/ligament issue and not a bone injury.

Yes, unfortunately for my friend, I think it's too late......a whole season with pain, already knowing there could be back issue basically made the spondy untreatable.
As far as my kid, I am making sure she remains healthy. I will be taking her in to check up on her severs and have the orthos check her back. I screamed bloody murder about stretching.....hope she will stretch extra well.

No amount of chiro will prevent spondy. It is an overuse injury, caused in the gym. Lack of shoulder flexibility and too many arching skills are the main culprits. You can do all you want out of the gym to make you feel better, and boy I know this, and it makes absolutely 0% difference.

If I knew then what a I know now my kids would have been done with gym years earlier.

Not every child has a body that can stand the rigors of the sport and not every coach knows what they are doing.

Sadly, I'm starting to believe that this is true. We've been fighting this thing for 2 years now, but nothing really helps. Seems like this sport is just not for her. :(

Sadly, I'm starting to believe that this is true. We've been fighting this thing for 2 years now, but nothing really helps. Seems like this sport is just not for her. :(

A crappy feeling, mine is still doing PT for back pain 6 years later. That is after fusion surgery. As parents we really have to ask if a kids sports is worth a life time of pain. I think we all know the answer.

I've noticed in our gym the girls who have quit due to backpain/spondylolisthesis have tend to be the hypeflexible/hypermobile gymnasts who can basically touch their head to their heels on back walkovers..

Found this reference: "pars interarticularis defects and spondylolisthesis are all more common in hypermobile individuals." it makes sense as the less flexible girls aren't able to exert as much force on their pars interarticularis due to the protective nature of their joints, muscles, and ligaments.

I've noticed in our gym the girls who have quit due to backpain/spondylolisthesis have tend to be the hypeflexible/hypermobile gymnasts who can basically touch their head to their heels on back walkovers..

Found this reference: "pars interarticularis defects and spondylolisthesis are all more common in hypermobile individuals." it makes sense as the less flexible girls aren't able to exert as much force on their pars interarticularis due to the protective nature of their joints, muscles, and ligaments.

Totally agree, mine had a hyper-flexible lower back, but incredibly tight shoulders. A horrible combination. Now with rods in her back hypermobility is not an issue.

Totally agree, mine had a hyper-flexible lower back, but incredibly tight shoulders. A horrible combination. Now with rods in her back hypermobility is not an issue.

Long time reader here who always reads your posts with interest... I had no idea your child endured this horribly debilitating injury, and I am so sorry to hear of it. I am suddenly extremely grateful that my DD is not natural flexible whatsoever...seems like it might be saving her back as she has not had back pain to date.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's through reading here on CB that I have become more educated about what types of 'aches and pains' I should pay close attention to right from the start, and I am sure I am not the only one...

Long time reader here who always reads your posts with interest... I had no idea your child endured this horribly debilitating injury, and I am so sorry to hear of it. I am suddenly extremely grateful that my DD is not natural flexible whatsoever...seems like it might be saving her back as she has not had back pain to date.

Mine has never been super flexible, not in her back, not in her shoulders or hips. We were told that her biggest issue is her shoulders flexibility. But no amount of stretching seems to be helping with the back pain. As bog said, either your body is built for this, or it's not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back