Are headbands allowed in competition meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

MELandry

There's controversy over this at our gym. We always have a mock meet before competition season starts to show the newbies to team what to expect and so the experienced girls know what to expect from scoring.

Anyway, my daughter decided to do a head band with pieces of hair weaved over it to hold it into place. One of her coaches told her that wasn't allowed at meet and not to wear it. I asked the owner of the gym and she said to check with the other coaches who seen nothing wrong with it.

It was made out of the sequined stretch band, but the sequin is no different than the stoning on their competition leotards, so does anyone know what the rule is on this one? Just asking b/c now several of the moms want me to make their dd the same headband because the girls loved my daughter's hairdo so much they were going to fix their dd the same for the meets.

HELP!

First, I don't know if it is worth going against what the coach wants here. But, I have seen girls at meets have to remove headbands made out of plactic or any stiff kind that sits on the head. Generally, it looks like the kind made solely of fabric and elastic do not attract attention. some rules are subject to interpretation. I remember one meet where girls were made to take out all of their earrings (by the CJ on bars), even small studs which are generally allowed.

Beth wore a headband at a meet and didn't get deducted for it. But I agree with flipper's fan--it's not worth going against the coach. Too minor for that, imho.

I always wear a black, elastic head band that wraps around my entire head in practice and some competitions. No deductions with that, but the plastic ones that only go to behind the ear I could see as an issue because they could easily fall off. But if the coach doesn't want it there are other ways to keep the hair out of her face for competitions and you could use your homemade headband for practices.

Whenever I go to competitions, I see lots of girls of with lululemon headbands and those wrap around her head ones. I did once, and didn't get deducted. I think the plastic headbands aren't allowed though... but listen to her coach. No worth fighting over.

Don't know anything about if it's allowed.
But go with what the coach says.
Although I do have to say, that hair style is adorable and looks great!!

thanks everyone. She wasn't planning on doing her hair like this for her next meet, but some of the other girls were until my daughter was told that she couldn't wear it. So that's why I was asking b/c I've never heard of this before. She has 4 coaches and only one seen a problem with the headband for some reason.

Thanks gymsurvivor about the hairdo comment. I got the idea off of a website!
http://www.princesshairstyles.com/2011/02/woven-french-braid-ponytail.html]Hairstyle Gallery for our blog (PrincessHairstyles.com) Album 1 | Facebook[/URL]

I think it would be fine because the headband was secured. Generally I discourage them because they often don't stay on (even elastic ones). My only problem with that style is I don't like the hair to sit on the neck. That's not a rule, but I think it looks better up for gymnastics. Many coaches have preferences and hair is generally part of a team program's apparel "regulations." It doesn't necessarily have to be against USAG rules for a gym to prohibit it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back