Athletes or Children?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

"So the opinions, feelings, and experience of all in question amount to nothing." Save for experience prescribed by rule setting agencies, I agree with your statement from a professional standpoint, Linsul.

Professionals understand that professionalism is more than filling in per chance the right bubbles on a test, metaphorically speaking.

We the people of the American gymnastics industry run our sport like a free for all come as you are barn yard give away. To be a coach just start coaching. Beyond a background check, No questions asked. No rules, no policies, no qualifications, no nothing but a card you buy and a safety certification that proclaims the extent your professional status will ever be.

Is this the American Way?

What about founding fathers like Benjamin Franklin who called for the creation of an institution called the University of Pennsylvania? The intent was enlightened service stemming from a whole that is constantly inculcated and cultivated resulting in expert knowledge that can seize every opportunity to serve and to oblige. Dedication to a useful purpose gained through expert teaching is a theme this country is founded upon. What happened to the American Way?

Last edited by a moderator:
triptwister As it is said:
I did get lucky Trip twister, but it wasn't because I didn't do my homework as a whole. You see, I learned from the many mistakes made with my older DD. I led with my heart and not with my mind. I vowed NOT to do the same with my younger DD.
We have to look at this as what it is. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but come on. This is after all JUST a sport. I stand here as a former gymnast who as a kid believed it was my life. My DDs believe gymnastics is life. But in reality, it is a sport.
Again, I am now talking as a Professional teacher. That is how we are told we should look at ourselves. I value my profession and I know that without my students, I don't have much. I do what I do to create better citizens. Those that can contribute to society with their minds and souls. Passionate individuals with the mindset to better the world is WHY I continue to teach irregardless to the many ridiculous mandates placed upon me on a daily basis. Many of my colleagues teach with the same passion and ideals, but we do know of teachers who buck the system. These same teachers hold to the high standards expected of them on paper, yet they should NEVER be near children. They are great test takers, they are even great presenters in front of those observing them. But behind close doors, they only do harm to our young. Some of these same horrible teachers, with all their high degrees become administrators. Our nation's educational system is constantly implementing NEW ideas in the hopes of increasing test scores or what not. In most cases, our U.S. students are not helped.
If I understood you right, Triptwister, you seek an implementation of a governing institution that will regulate our nation's coaches. Does this country really need that? We, in the U.S., attempt to regulate far too much already. Let our children enjoy their extra curricular activities. They already have to deal with too much regulations in the schools. You don't think that this same institution will not see its share of coaches that know how to 'trick' the system. Then who will be harmed in this case? The gymnast, that's who. We all know how to put on a good " pony show"! It is the responsibility of the parent to find a good fit for their child.
Second, if you really want a 'system' or governing 'institution' look at most European nations. What has happened to their systems? Look around at many U.S. gyms and what do you notice? I note a lot of European coaches that have left their countries to find better opportunities here in our country. We are also benefitting from this. Just look at WOGA and AOGC. They have Russian coaches and are also producing some of the best athletes this sport has ever seen. The U.S. is doing far better in the gymnastics world arena then we have in the past and we are doing it WITHOUT this governing anything.
I am all for finding means of securing the safety and well being of all children, but what you are asking for is truly frivolous. Let the parents do what they have to do. It is their responsibility to secure the safety of their own children. Gyms that are out there to only get that mighty buck are always identified and some go under. Usually nothing good ever comes out of these gyms. Those gyms like my DD's who are in business for the love of the sport and look to get the best out of each and every rec. and team gymnast will always stand tall. They will win out and do it without a regulating anything. All I had to do was look at the gym's track record and I knew this was the place for my DD.
Let's just enjoy the beauty this sport has to offer the eye. Let's just see the benefits our children gain from their involvement in this wonderful sport. Let's just have fun with it.

I don't want my daughter to suffer in her gymnastics because of adults throwing a wrench into her passion.:)

Wow...pause to take a breath. My stance is firm. Sorry.

What exactly makes Russian coaches so excellent? Why was Bela able to usurp American interests and over take the role Don Peters was supposed to play? Again, we need to take control of our sport in this country. Your first experience said it all. That is the norm not the exception. I hear your story repeated again and again.

The bad teachers hiding behind good facades rationalization is misleading. I am calling on a professional culture to be instilled that rests on accountability with no room for tenure or abnegated bluffs. Bad teachers/directors/head coaches/owners/managers in gymnastics will not go unscrutinized, confronted, and remedied.

Yes, we need regulation and assessment and standards.

A professional culture will tell you who is qualified and adept. You won't have to suffer an egregious mistake and make up for it with a second attempt because you were on your own. In a professional culture you are not on your own. There is an entire network there to take responsibility and back you up with guarantees.

As this thread has shown time and again, athleticism is lifelong. Once it gets in your blood then it is your life. The fact that in our case athleticism is focused on the sport of gymnastics does not lesson the bonds. The child carries that pride with them for the rest of their lives. Even their children later in life will probably follow a similar influence. Gymnastics is only a sport but athleticism is a lifelong mindset. What you get out of it is transposed into all areas of your life. And you will see athletes that become successful in other pursuits later in life tribute their accomplishments to what they learned from athleticism.

Your sentiments are heartfelt lilgymmie7, but misleading and out of context.

Of all the people to expect to take responsibility for the shortcomings in our sport, parents are the least qualified. Yet you call on them to do it. I say, this is a symptom that something is terribly wrong. I say that parents control our sport. I say this should not be. I say, LETS DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. You say let parents bounce around until by defalut they learn from their mistakes and land in a good spot. I say, let them choose a good spot based on their expectations with programs that accurately reflect those expectations. That difference is the difference between a barn yard free for all and professionalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Misleading in what way Trip? Out of context, how? You did not get anything I was trying to say at all. That is the true difference between a professional anything and someone who simply wants to see their say stick and germinate through the masses.
Educating a coach to go out there and seek the best for the children they coach is one thing. Expecting all the coaches in every gym to do it in the same way is insanity. That is what I was saying! Standards? This idea of standards is what is slowly killing our educational system in this country. Yes, we all need to get our children from point A to point B. But that path is different for every child, hence every group of children.
I for one do not want a gymnastics system that regulates a coach if it stops them from seeing my child as an individual. At 6, she is far beyond where I could have imagined. Her coaches have noted her talent and have worked with her as they see fit. I have never intervened. If you think parents call the shots where you are, then maybe getting a back bone and confirming to them who you are as the coach is what is needed. Parents at DD's gym do not intervene. If they do HC/owner shows them the door.
I never intended to say that parents should bounce around either. That is what I intially did with my first after toughing it out with terribly, tyrannic Russian coaches for 5.5 years. This only because I wasn't in the gym much persuing my higher education. That is the mistake I speak of.
Lastly, Russian coaches are no better than any other coaches. The point I was making was that in the old U.S.S.R. they had this governing body you speak of. And what happened to them? They witnessed many defectors, gymnasts and coaches alike.
If you feel the need to educate yourself, by all means. But please do not insight the masses with your proposed ideas of insane likeness in coaching ideals so that parents no what to expect. We parents are not uneducated fools who can not figure things out for ourselves. I for one have always seen my DD's coaches at IGI as true professionals. I see it in the way they converse with me, my child, and other parents. I named DD's gym only so you yourself can see that it is a reputable gym. Either way, good luck to you. Boy, I can see what other posters have stated about you my friend. I truly hope you get the most out of your life and life treats you well. Now I am off to warn her coaches of a possible nut case and to tell them to watch my child like a hawk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back