WAG Attendance Policy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flgymmom

Proud Parent
What kind of attendance policy does your gym have ? And I guess how many hours/days a week do you practice?

Our gym has been trying to implement an attendance policy since the beginning of the summer and it is just unfair IMO at this point. Luckily, they haven't been to strict with it. I was just wondering what the "norm" was.

Thanks folks!

I just tried to edit the post with this info... couldn't figure out how.

What our gym policy is trying to do is you are not allowed to miss more than 3 practices a month. We practice 5 days a week (Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri 6-9 and Sat 10-1). If they miss more than 3 they have to pay for a private as a "makeup". If we don't pay for the private, they are bumped from the team to Xcel. If they miss any practice the 2 weeks before a meet they can't compete and we loss our money. At first, there were exceptions... like school related activities (like band concerts etc) and family events (weddings) but now it seems to be a bit scattered on what is acceptable or not.

Yikes! That' seems pretty harsh.

I don't think we have a published attendance policy. My dd has even missed 2-3 practices leading up to a meet due to illness and she still competed in the meet.

I figure it is really only hurting the gymnast if she is constantly absent.

Our gym is competitive, but they also believe in balance. Our head coach said to me years ago "we want gymnastics to be an important PART of the girls' lives, not their whole lives." I like that approach.

Yikes! That' seems pretty harsh.

I don't think we have a published attendance policy. My dd has even missed 2-3 practices leading up to a meet due to illness and she still competed in the meet.

I figure it is really only hurting the gymnast if she is constantly absent.

Our gym is competitive, but they also believe in balance. Our head coach said to me years ago "we want gymnastics to be an important PART of the girls' lives, not their whole lives." I like that approach.
See this is exactly how I feel. It isn't like they are only practicing a few days a week. They are there almost every day. Sometimes they do on Tuesdays also for extra tumbling practice. The poor kid is doing homework at 10:30 at night and in the morning before school. I, along with some other parents have been complaining a lot about it so we will see what happens. Last week, my DD missed 3 days because of her brother's wedding (wedding rehearsal, the wedding, and clean up/visit with family). They let me get by with an excused absence for it, but I had to give them a written note. Such crap.

So your family can never even take a 1-week vacation without being penalized?

Is the gym really big? Are they looking to cut people because they've got too many kids? This would be a good way to do that --- tick off the parents so some will leave.

I could possibly see some sort of attendance policy, but yours seems way too much. Honestly, if my kid were missing practice all the time because she wanted to do other things (school dances, sleep overs, football games, etc -- not sick or family obligations), I'd start to ask her if she really wanted to continue the sport. But unless you have that going on AND unless your kid is on the elite track, I think it is important for them to have a life - take vacations, go to the family wedding, heck, even go trick or treating (my dd often misses that day of the year because she still likes to do that and I'm not taking it away from her, and if the coaches tried to take it away, I'd question if it was the right gym for us.)

If you have a gymnast that is habitually absent, they simply aren't going to go very far and will probably drop eventually anyway. No need for rules. They'll sort themselves out.

So your family can never even take a 1-week vacation without being penalized?

Is the gym really big? Are they looking to cut people because they've got too many kids? This would be a good way to do that --- tick off the parents so some will leave.

I could possibly see some sort of attendance policy, but yours seems way too much. Honestly, if my kid were missing practice all the time because she wanted to do other things (school dances, sleep overs, football games, etc -- not sick or family obligations), I'd start to ask her if she really wanted to continue the sport. But unless you have that going on AND unless your kid is on the elite track, I think it is important for them to have a life - take vacations, go to the family wedding, heck, even go trick or treating (my dd often misses that day of the year because she still likes to do that and I'm not taking it away from her, and if the coaches tried to take it away, I'd question if it was the right gym for us.)

If you have a gymnast that is habitually absent, they simply aren't going to go very far and will probably drop eventually anyway. No need for rules. They'll sort themselves out.

No, not a big gym. I would say maybe 10 girls on their optional team, and prob about 20 on compulsory. I'm not sure how many rec kids..

Your thoughts are exactly why I keep ignoring the policy LOL We aren't out much at all but when she is out, she will normally miss a few days in a row... sick most of the time. And I REFUSE to pay for a private as a "make-up".

Our current gym has no policy at all- or at least they don't bother for xcel (but I am certain there is one for JO). Our past two gyms had policies written into the parent contract. Must attend 90% of practices and not miss any practice the week before a meet, or they can't compete. They did expect you to take vacation when the gym was closed. I knew it when I signed up and was ok with it. Gymnastics is a whole family commitment sport. I wouldn't be as ok if it was foisted on me after the fact.

So, if the child is sick before a meet they aren't allowed to compete ? Do you lose your meet fees and such ? I guess I just don't understand the reasoning for it when the girls spend 20 hours in the gym unless there is a major absentee issue.

Our current gym has no policy at all- or at least they don't bother for xcel (but I am certain there is one for JO). Our past two gyms had policies written into the parent contract. Must attend 90% of practices and not miss any practice the week before a meet, or they can't compete. They did expect you to take vacation when the gym was closed. I knew it when I signed up and was ok with it. Gymnastics is a whole family commitment sport. I wouldn't be as ok if it was foisted on me after the fact.

Our general policy is that a gymnast is expected to attend at least 80% of practices to compete (this is for optionals - don't if it's different for compulsory levels). They definitely make some exceptions in the summer, but are pretty strict during the competitive season. They have let some of the girls go to other level practices if needed. Understand that part of this is a safety issue. The skills get harder and are scarier. With the girls growing in spurts, regular practice is important because balance, reach, etc. can change even week to week.

The consequences seem a little harsh at your gym (especially if it happens once, is with reasonable cause, etc.), but it really should be about what the coach feels is safe for the gymnasts. I can't imagine that most coaches wouldn't make exceptions if there was a good reason and not a common occurrence. Some girls just "miss" a lot and I think it definitely is a sign of their commitment (or lack their of).

Every gym we've been at doesn't allow practices to be missed before a meet or they must be made up. IMO missing 3 practices a month is alot and that would not pass at our gym. How would you feel if the coach missed 3 practices a month? I realize that you are paying for the practice time but you are also part of a team and representing the gym at meets.

Every gym we've been at doesn't allow practices to be missed before a meet or they must be made up. IMO missing 3 practices a month is alot and that would not pass at our gym. How would you feel if the coach missed 3 practices a month? I realize that you are paying for the practice time but you are also part of a team and representing the gym at meets.
How are kids suppose to complete other activities ? Like my daughter plays in the band at school. She has a concert that is worth 500 points and she must attend. Of course this is the week before one of our meets in November. So, her choice is to either lose 500 points in school or she can't compete in the meet she has been busting her butt all year for and we also lose $100+ . Our gym claims that school is #1... they require all As and Bs yet this is becoming very difficult.

So, if the child is sick before a meet they aren't allowed to compete ? Do you lose your meet fees and such ? I guess I just don't understand the reasoning for it when the girls spend 20 hours in the gym unless there is a major absentee issue.

I suppose if a child were sick enough to miss practice right before a meet they may not have been allowed to compete. I never saw it happen though, so can't say if an exception would have been made.

Our gym claims that school is #1... they require all As and Bs yet this is becoming very difficult.
It only gets harder. Mine gave up band a couple years ago because of the extra commitments. Unfortunately, this is the reason so many girls quit (or move to Xcel) when they get to middle school or high school. Those who stay generally love it and are willing to make the sacrifice. Mine is doing homework at 11 pm at night and up at 5:30 to do more.

It only gets harder. Mine gave up band a couple years ago because of the extra commitments. Unfortunately, this is the reason so many girls quit (or move to Xcel) when they get to middle school or high school. Those who stay generally love it and are willing to make the sacrifice. Mine is doing homework at 11 pm at night and up at 5:30 to do more.
Yeah, my older DD quit 2 years ago for the same reasons... she couldn't balance all these things.

Yeah, my older DD quit 2 years ago for the same reasons... she couldn't balance all these things.

This is the unfortunate reality.

I think the whole sick right before a meet was (dd graduated in June) a case by case basis. Regardless of the gym attendance policy, my own personal "Mom Policy" trumped the gym's.... If I was committed to paying, child was committed to going. She rarely missed a practice, even through injury. Being sick was a different story, but I have to say that both of children have been blessed with good "health" genes, neither really haven't been sick (1 18 yr old & 1 13 yr old) with the exception of a cold here and there, lucky me I guess.

Edited to add, when my dd had to scratch because of injury, we lost the meet fee if it was past the due date. We were able to get back meet fees that the scratch date hadn't passed yet.

Coming from a coaches perspective, if an athlete misses 3 practices before a meet for illness they have decreased strength, endurance and confidence add a high pressure event and you are just asking for an injury.
Even if they are not sick and miss 3 practices right before they are still not fully prepared to compete.
If an athlete is sick for one practice and then has 3 more more before they compete as long as they are fully prepared, I will let them compete.
I don't want to jeopardize a child's safety to compete in one meet, which is almost obsolete in the grand scheme of things.

can I ask what level your daughter is at and how many hours a week she practices ? It seems very harsh. We are much more relaxed about it over here, if my DD has a birthday party she will miss a session, or a school thing.

So we don't generally compete teams here except for specific occasions, so my comments come from the individual gymnast perspective.

If my daughter was consistently missing 3 days a month from the gym there would be a problem. That's almost once a week / 15% of the time. It would be a problem for her coaches, and it would put a strain on her training.

How does she fit in other things? Well, she doesn't actually. She doesn't play other sports, nor does she any longer take music lessons, etc. But that has been her choice - she wants to do gymnastics and the others weren't as important to her. A good lesson in life is to also recognize that you have to make choices, and you can't have it all.

Does she miss occasionally? Yes, and I'm up front about it with the coaches. She is 10 years old, and needs a life. BUT...... we try as much as possible to schedule it around her gym schedule. If we take a vacation, we do so well away from any meets, and where possible on a gym shutdown. Yes, she does her schoolwork at 10pm, as do most gymnasts. It's part of life. If there is a birthday party, and she's going to miss, it usually happens about once a year. So many of her friends are gymnasts they are scheduled accordingly. Family functions become brunch if she trains afternoons, or dinners if she trains mornings. Our extended family is used to it.

And if she was on a team, I'd have a problem if others on that team were missing those kinds of hours. There is, IMO, a commitment to them as well to be taken into account.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back