WAG Avoiding developing a fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay well you may have seen my other thread where I said that I subluxed (popped out and back in essentially from what I understand from my physio). I did this doing a flic on the low beam with a fat mat over it so couldn't get much safer than that. I was already scared of this skill when I did it and was trying to get the skill again. I am now on a very limited program of nothing with my arms above my head, nothing that puts weight on my shoulder except for my specific physio exercises, no hanging or anything like that and no rotating my arm too much. I am worried that I will be scared of doing a flic on beam once I eventually get back to being able to do it. This isn't the first time I have subluxed my shoulder doing a flic on beam either so its a legitimate worry. I used to be able to do it on medium beam with a thin mat. My question is, is there anyway of avoiding this fear? or is it just inevitable?

Good question!
I try to stay focused when doing the skill. When you get careless and let your mind wander, thats where mistakes happen. If you know you can do the skill, set, and go, and dont stop to think. Also, dont avoid the skill. That will make/strengthen the fear. Repition is key.

Also follow your PT's advice to a T- do your exercises daily. Make sure you ask them specifically for some that will strengthen and stabilize the shoulder girdle. And yes, slow, thoughful, and careful when doing that skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back