Back extension roll!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok this is driving me crazy!!!! I have to do a back extension roll to handstand and i cannot do it!!!! i really need help its driving me and my coach crazy!!

1) how do i get more power
2) how do i get to handstand

and any other useful tips

i really need help!

thanks in advance!!!

1. Pop open out of the roll really fast. Also when you start to roll back don't just sit straight down like you would do for a backward roll. You have to extend your legs and jump back a little. I have seen people do back extension rolls by just sitting down staight. Though, I don't because I think its harder that way.

2.Try opening a little later. Also make sure you are shooting your toes up to the sky. Try to do it on the tumble track or tramp. It will make it really obvious which way your toes are going. Also try doing it down a panal mat with your hands hitting the ground.

:)

Start with your arms straight and your hands slightly above your eyes.
Sit on your heels as quickly as possible to start to roll
Don't lean forward first
As you roll backwards, you will hit a tucked candlestick shape.
Extend your legs toward the ceiling and open your shoulders to the handstand.

Once you get the timing for these, you can start to open the tuck or sit in a pike.
Most of the speed and "power" comes from the sit.

thanks guys! what i noticed and i probably should have said this before is that when i do it down a wedge (or panel mat whatever you like to call it) i get to handstand but one of my arms is bent and on the other my whole forearm is on the ground.

and what is going on if it hurts my shoulder (only on of them (its the shoulder of the bent arm if this helps

Gymgurl, you might want to look into some shoulder exercises to loosen up your shoulders.

There was a time awhile back that doing straight arm back extension rolls hurt my shoulders or even hanging or swinging on bars. Some shoulder therapy relieved this.

I have seen some coaches teach the back extension roll starting from a pike stand with the hands near to the floor like a toe touch. It's an interesting technique that works.

As well when you reach back to the ground after the sit in the back extension roll, you can't just try to roll over your hands. You need to throw back your arms and reach for the floor and push off the floor. Don't try to just roll over hands but be active and throw them back.

I don't often teach the last part since I have a big issue with the younger kids not keeping their shoulder open to begin with and they lead the back extension roll with their head and not their hands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back