Coaches Back Handspring Training Aid

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

victoriarowlinson

Hi Everyone,

I am designing a back handspring training aid and would love to get other coaches contributions. What do you need from a back handspring training aid? What can your gymnasts gain from it? How can you ensure it encourages correct technique?

All comments welcome, I am looking forward to your ideas.

Thanks,
Victoria

Hi

WOW that be Awesome.. Just going to fire out some ideas in no particular order (even if you have already thought of all this up, which i am sure you have)
>>>Have you looked up the other BHS training aids? (http://cartwheelfactory.com/norbert/norbert02.jpg , there are a few more out there), just to see the limitations, pros, and cons
>>> They are no really ideal or very effective at teaching or developing the block
>>> The 2nd Phase of the BHS is never addressed, which lets be honest is the hardest bit (you don't need anything more then a barrel aand a somewhat decline or surface height difference between barrel and hands to simulate whatever is out there on the market
>>> All trainers that i have seen still required some level of spotting from the coach, thus its not really helping all that much
>>>Trainers are GREAT for pre-schoolers, rec, not that great at all for team ??? Why cause they do not teach shaping or develop the snap action
>>> Expensive! ? Need something that is affordable and you can market to individuals (imagine how many moms would want one for their struggling kid? Or their little Cheerleader?
>>> Size is usually annoyingly big, or not big enough.. For most part its not to bad to match size with gymnast but some of the more high tech if you can say that trainers require you have different dimensions for different size kids?
>>> They do not actually allow the gymnast to progress or start to find confidence without it? Meaning you can do millions of BHS over a training aid, and STILL never have helped develop confidence in a kid to be able to do it by self.

If you ask me, develop a training aid that helps teach snap and second half of BHS that helps gymnast feel staying hollow and snapping under (while at the same time needing to block in order to achieve, AND required no coach assistance)

Hope this helps start of discussion to generate ideas.

I personally think the best training aid is support from the coach, however, that might just be me!
I prefer to use progressions which reinforce correct technique and shape and which also build strength.
However, if you could design a training aid which helps with the courbette (snap up) phase, that would be worth looking into!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back