Back walkover problems!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am in level 3 ( working on level 4 skills ) but i cant do a back walkover. I can do a back handspring and front handspring, but yet i cant do a back walkover.

My coach says i have to push off with my right leg, because it is stronger. I do that, but i still get stuck in the air and then i go back down into the bridge!

Does anybody know the problem i'm having and how to fix it?

Make sure your shoulders are above your hands or preferrable pushed farther out so your shoulders are open. Also make sure that you stare at your hands...this is what helped me ALOT with mine. Just keeping staring at your hands until you land in a lunge.

I am in level 3 ( working on level 4 skills ) but i cant do a back walkover. I can do a back handspring and front handspring, but yet i cant do a back walkover.

My coach says i have to push off with my right leg, because it is stronger. I do that, but i still get stuck in the air and then i go back down into the bridge!

Does anybody know the problem i'm having and how to fix it?

How are your splits ? Can you do over splits ?

My daughter can do a back walkover and she does not have oversplits, cannot hold her leg up to her ear and certainly not for 7 seconds! I think the problem is likely to be that you haven't pushed enough weight onto your hands. Can you do a bridge kickover?

That's great, then I'm sure you'll get your back walkover. It's possible you are landing your hands too far away from your feet, making it hard to push enough weight over your hands.

It's possible you are landing your hands too far away from your feet, making it hard to push enough weight over your hands.

Yes...work on back and shoulder flexibility. You'll eventually get there!

Good luck!

I have the exact same problem, I can round off 3x backhandspings, front walkover and front handspring but I can't back walkover, actually I can't even do the kick over part.

I was told that it was due to my lack of upper back and shoulder flexibility. I now do extra conditioning at home and my shoulder flexibility has improved heaps but my upper back flexibility is taking a bit longer. I suggest that you improve your flexibility as this will help greatly, Ive managed a few kick overs since improving my flexibility but they're not consistent yet. (I was only able to do front walkovers after improving my flexibility)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back