WAG Backwalkover fear on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have recently developed a fear on beam with backwalkovers! I used to be able to do these fine but then my mind freaked out and now I can't get my self to go backwards even on low beam!
Any suggestions on how to get myself to go backwards?
Thanks!

Do them -- lots of them -- on a floor line. And do lots and lots on a low beam with mat stacks. It's a frustrating fear, I know, but if you're patient, you will work through it. I've seen several girls go through this, and it does just seem to be a matter of putting in the numbers and waiting it out. Hang in there!

Yep. Gotta' agree with profmom. I mean really, who doesn't have a fear of backwalkovers the first time they start putting them on the beam? I know I did back in the day when I was learning. Practice lots of them on a floor line first. If you have panel mats, push one up against each side of the low beam and keep doing them there, slowly flipping panels from the mat down until you're doing them without any raised mat. Then move it to the high beam. If your coaches are nice, get a spotter and have them spot you (heavily even) a few times until you get used to the feeling. Just don't give it up!!! Believe me, it's one of those skills that is worth pushing through! :)

What sort of setting are you in. Do you work with a coach in a team setting, and how much beam time do you get each week? How are the others in you group doing with back walkovers?

@iwannacoach
I'm on the team, and there are only three of us doing backwalkovers, and everyone else is doing fine on them, but for some reason I can't get myself to go backwards

@iwannacoach
Yes I do work with a coach on a team, and I get about 2 and a half hours a week on beam sometimes even three hours

Quite a few posts on here about that, so don't worry, it's a common one. My daughter went through it too. Are you growing at the moment? That can make those sort of skills feel scary as your mind adjusts to the change in your body. Try stacking mats under the beam until it doesn't seem far to fall and remove one once you've landed three in a row. Keep going that way and if you reach a point where you're struggling stack them back up and start again.

@iwannacoach
I'm on the team, and there are only three of us doing backwalkovers, and everyone else is doing fine on them, but for some reason I can't get myself to go backwards

I think part of the problem is there are so few on your team who are doing bwo's on beam. It kinda makes it seem, to you, that a bwo is a really, really big deal, because if it weren't your whole team would be doing one. It's so much easier to expect one for yourself if you see everybody else doing them in an atmosphere of "we do this every day." That's pretty much the way it is in the sport, and in everyday life, as there are few who want to be "the first" who will gladly follow along with the crowd. I hope you get what I mean, because you have to help be the change that makes *your* crowd an easier group to learn with. So while it may be hard to be "the change" that makes everybody's work a little easier, your progress com easier if you change for yourself.

Beyond that little bit of encouragement, I'll offer you some thoughts about bwo's in general.......

In the overall scheme of things they are a pretty simple skill. You've probably done thousands of them on floor over the past few years. You could likely do them on a floor line with your eyes closed and land one or both hands on the line every time. I'm not suggesting you try an "eyes closed" bwo, but if you like the idea, bring it up with your coach. If both of you feel you have a good enough bwo to safely go "eyes closed" then you can try it like this. Start out with a set of ten by closing your eyes just before your hands touch the floor on the first one, and work your way up to the point of closing your eyes a little earlier.... up to the point where you feel challenged by the experience. This is a drill/exercise I've had kids who need a bit more "convincing" work on, and it helps quite a few of them. Just promise me you will talk to your coach first, and that you won't go for it all at once.

Try working on a one arm bwo, again after talking with your coach, and with your coach's supervision. If your are able, change hands and learn how to do a left hand bwo, and a right hand bwo.

@iwannacoach
Yes I do work with a coach on a team, and I get about 2 and a half hours a week on beam sometimes even three hours

It sounds like you have enough time on beam, but more time is always a help. You can get more time, kinda, by making everything you do on beam the best it can be, even those boring and pointless warm up drills. Try to "win the warm ups' every time you go to beam, because there's nothing that builds confidence like going through all the basics in total control of every motion of every part of your body. Really, it takes a lot of hard work to make your work easy, and to get the payback you want.

So do yourself a favor and give yourself some payback every time you climb up on the beam........

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back