WAG Fear of falling on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had a meet today and I was terrified for beam. Everything was going decent but I was shaking really bad and having negative thoughts. I got to my last skill (a simple split jump) and completely bend my back leg. I was scared of going all out because I might fall. Beam terrifies me not because of the skills but because it is so easy to fall of during a meet even if I make it all the time during practice. Any tips for more confidence?

I’m the same way although there’s no super easy fix here’s some things that help me. I always try and visualize my routines before I go. I don’t know how your gym/competitions you go to work but usually are coaches are given the order I try and go 1st or relatively close to the beginning just so I don’t build up my nerves more and more. I also try and tell myself that it’s just a beam routine and I’ve fallen before in competition and it wasn’t the end of the world( I know it’s hard cause it still feels like the end of the world). I also used to do the same thing as you I would get scared thinking I would fall and go and do something weird like bend my legs in the middle of my skill. My new trick is to look at it like this on beam there is no guarantee you will stay on even if you do bend your leg on a split jump or whatever it is. But I can guarantee keeping my gymnastics clean and in check.(For example I bend my arms on front walkovers a lot when I compete cause I think it will help me stay on the bra so instead when I go into my front walkover I tell myself that I am going to do the most beautiful straight arm tight leg front walkover ever. If I stay on that’s a bonus and if I fall on well at least my front walkover looked really nice before I fell). I think on beam we put alot of pressure on ourselves about not falling which in turn makes us fall instead look it as a bonus if you stay on the beam.

Stare down the end of the beam. Have a staring competition with it. That will help you stay on. As for confidence, practice practice practice. Also deep breaths. Try to clear your head of all thoughts.

Tentative routines that stay on, rarely score better than routines that 'go big' and fall. I try and get my athletes to concentrate on one skill at a time and focus on what they need to do in order to make that skill as close to their personal best as possible (height/ flexibility/ landing position etc). The focus is bit by bit and usually less overwhelming.

They get good at defining their routine 'success' on how well they thought they performed each skill, rather than on if they fell or not. Which means you have multiple opportunities to succeed/'win' within the same routine. Any errors should be reframed as lessons not failures or falls if they happen.

Falling is okay and it's going to happen from time to time, I'd much rather a strong routine with a fall because you have p to do your very best instead of holding back. Plus I assume you intend to be doing gymnastics for awhile - so this is not your last beam routine - you have more chances to go out there and showcase to the judges just how well you can do every skill. Competing well is also a skill, and you will get better if you practice with the right mindset :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back