WAG Backwalkovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We just started working on back walkovers for next year's beam. I am hooking my thumbs together throughout the skill (they start hooked together and then they actually are placed on the beam with my thumbs hooked together). I started doing this to make sure that my hands stayed together and thought that I could unhook my thumbs as I got better. However, I tried to do some with my thumbs not hooked and my hands were very wide and the felt weird. Also, because my thumbs are hooked together it is causing one hand to turn and my hands sometimes land on the beam facing almost sideways. Is it dangerous to hook my thumbs together during my back walkovers? Will I get a deduction for not gripping the beam properly? Any tips? Thank you!

I do back walkovers on beam with one hand normal (like thumb on and fingers on the side) and one hand flat on the beam. I get a tenth off by most judges but it makes me do it straight and over the top so I'd take that deduction over the 3 tenths I would get if it went around the side or something. And I can't do my backhandspring out of it if I don't do my hands like that. If I could go back to when I learned it and made my hands how they're supposed to be then I would but it's not that big of a deal. :) I would be kinda worried about hooking my thumbs together though just because it seems dangerous..like it would be hard to twist out or something if you messed up? But idk how good yours are. Just a thought.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back