Bad Mindset

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
At my old tumbling gym we never really improved at all. I'd be working on the same skills for three years, not improving. I go to a new gym, after that gym moved, for gymnastics and tumbling. And I still have that mindset that I won't ever get my skills or improve. I just think I'll never get my BHS or BWO or FWO or even a backbend because my back has no arch. I can't see myself getting a kip either. Of course I did get my FHS I had been working on for years at my old gym on the second try at my new gym. And my one handed cartwheels look a lot better at my new gym. And so are my handstands. Most of it is because I see girls my age and a few years older in my tumbling class throwing back tucks and BHS and they're all so much better than me. I'm in the top 5 of my grade. School is no problem so i don't have that mindset in school. I have mental blocks and I'm old to be starting gymnastics at almost 14 that I don't think I'll ever improve or get my skills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

Hey! You should be proud of yourself for getting your front hands spring & for joining a gym where you ARE progressing. There's always going to be someone who is better than you, especially in the sport of gymnastics. (Peaking is usually in teens & most retire in their 20s) I am an older gymnast who is a beginner as well (well actually off and on as I became a cheerleader for a few yrs) and I know it's frustrating at times. I like to make a list of skills I have and those I'd like to have in a year for motivation.

I started even later than you, when I was 15. I was in a class with kids that were a lot younger than me and it got discouraging at times. But you just have to stay positive and try not to compare yourself with others. And if you do compare yourself to others, then try to use it as motivation. Remember you can do anything with hard work so keep working and believe in yourself :)

Remember those little kids are much smaller than you, they probably will progress faster now, but when they grow, they might gave trouble keeping those skills. Tgis puts you a step ahead, you've already grown a little, so you don't have to go through as much frustration when trying to re learn skills because you grew.

good point! I realized the little girls aren't really progressing. One of the cute little girls asked me if I had been doing this my whole life and asked how I got so good. that made my day. And I explained that I'm a tumbler and what that was haha!

gymnastics=10% talent 90% hard work

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back