Parents Bad Night at the GyM

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How is she on other events? My DD also has one event that she struggles with, it's hard to watch but you have to trust the coaches. If you don't/can't it's time to find another gym.

Vault excellent. Uneven bars work in progress. Bars not so good. Floor is struggling and she is a dancer shouldn't be this difficult.

MommaLove

My DD was also a dancer before she took up gym. She is actually brilliant on floor, except for the dance bits! It blew my mind when she first started.

Reactions: COz
Really!! So maybe I'm just being nuts. I'll give it time. It's just that she picks up choreography so flawlessly and she can't nail this floor routine. And the reason why is because it was choreographed sloppily. Just my opinion.

MommaLove

As a parent we often can't see the little things that judges are trained to look for. This year DDs floor scores ranged from 9.025 - 9.425. I swear, they all looked exactly the same to me.

Little things like bent knees, flexed feet, not enough split, small steps, etc all add up that we don't notice because we are too busy focused on how cool and amazing our kids are - as we should be!

I will echo what other parents have said. However, I would never say flat out "Trust the coaches."

You either trust your daughters coaches to be competent and have her best interest at heart, or you don't. If you trust the coaches, then stay out of the floor routine. If you don't trust that her coaches are competent and have your DDs best interest at heart, then it's time to move to another gym.

Good luck. Someone posted the "Stages of a Gym Mom" on this site quite some time ago. I wish you luck in reaching the last stage!

You have so much time. My daughter hasn't even gotten her floor routines that early before. She has learned her last two in about two weeks each. I would breathe and take it as it comes. How does the gym do at meets in general? If it's a good gym that scores well on floor, I'm sure that they put a lot of thought into routines.

Well thank you Flowerchild I appreciate your comments. I tried leaving once at this stage it's hard to leave when they have time in and built friendship :/ . I will however spend less time watching and put trust into my own daughter. I also can't say that I trust the coaches 100% but thank you

MommaLove

Her floor was. Her weakest last year. She is only strong in 2 events right. Now she kind needs the floor to do well over all :)

MommaLove

Do you have a background in gymnastics? Do you really know what you're looking at?

You use words like "flawless", and say her bhs are "perfect". Are you sure the coaches would say the same? The scores she is getting would be far higher if everything was perfect. A bit of a deduction for walking around maybe, but not 1.5.

Honestly, you should keep out of it. Leave it to the coaches.

Video would be good, then we can see :)

OK. Now I'm on a computer and can quote...

She walks around a lot in her routine. Her front hand spring is so rusty they should substitute for something else. And the Handstand Foward Roll looks so childish. Maybe it's the music maybe it's her at this point I don't know anymore. .

Sometimes it's not about doing what she likes best, can do best, or what you think looks childish. Routines have certain criteria they have to fulfil. If the rules say she needs an element like handstand forward roll or a FHS, then it has to go in, whatever anyone thinks about it. If the rules say she has to have a split leap, she can not substitute for something else. Sometimes it's about putting a simple skill to be executed well in the place of a harder move that will be deducted.

We have a coach on our team who is Also a judge, even when she received her floor routine in August I knew it was not anything above a 9. She keeps receiving 8.4 and 8.5 its unacceptable. Her leaps, tucks and back hand springs are perfect I think it's the boring walking from corner to corner. My daughter says she likes certain things but not it complete. And this evening the coach said she did not do the routine with confidence. :(

Like I said, if the elements are "perfect", the boring walking from corner to corner is not what's causing the low score. I politely suggest you have mommy bias and cannot see the errors the judges can.

Sorry what I mean by unacceptable is that some other girls routine are all 9s . And we pay good money equally for this.

Results do not depend on how much you pay. Maybe these girls are simply better?

Really!! So maybe I'm just being nuts. I'll give it time. It's just that she picks up choreography so flawlessly and she can't nail this floor routine. And the reason why is because it was choreographed sloppily. Just my opinion.

If she is a dancer and picks up choreography "flawlessly", she should be able to make the birdie song look good. So I doubt it's the choreography, maybe your dd is picking up on the fact you think it's a rubbish routine and thinks it's not worth putting the effort in? If she is a dancer she should have enough ability and knowledge to make the dance look good, and choreograph/re-choreograph the endless walking about bits.

It is up to your DD to nail what she's got. If she performs even a badly choreographed routine with a dancer's confidence and flair, and all the elements are "perfect", then the score should be high. Judges don't deduct whole points because they don't like a routine.

Hi Faith

I see what your saying. Like I said she still has plenty of opportunity to speak up and talk to her coaches. When they aren't on their phones, attending to their own children and eating .They have an opportunity to be judged at our gym. And she's not getting deduction on her skills just mainly on some other parts. When I initially posted and asked for the requirements for a bronze level floor routine was to educate myself and also find out if she could add more skills to the empty spots where all the walking is being done that's all .

I'm also don't want to go into what other initiatives some of the other parents have taken. We belong here it needs to be fixed here

MommaLove

Your daughter is surely old enough to pick up on your extreme negativity toward the coaches and the program. You either need to come to terms with staying at that gym, let her manage her own gymnastics on her own terms, and stay out of it, or move to another gym where you have more faith in the coaches. You are contributing to a toxic environment for your daughter. I say this as a parent who has let a child stay in a less than ideal sports program because it was the best fit for him socially and emotionally.

Thank you professional mom I've made my commitment as of this week to stay out of it. But I appreciate your thoughts and concern. I can't switch gyms at this time. I'm actually far from a negative person it was just a few bad nights on floor. I'll revisit this issue in January :)

MommaLove

Hi Faith

I see what your saying. Like I said she still has plenty of opportunity to speak up and talk to her coaches. When they aren't on their phones, attending to their own children and eating .They have an opportunity to be judged at our gym. And she's not getting deduction on her skills just mainly on some other parts. When I initially posted and asked for the requirements for a bronze level floor routine was to educate myself and also find out if she could add more skills to the empty spots where all the walking is being done that's all .

I'm also don't want to go into what other initiatives some of the other parents have taken. We belong here it needs to be fixed here

MommaLove

What do you think she's getting deducted on?

Timing and walking from one corner to corner. Skills are up to par. But it's only a few skills.

RDBH

FH

SPLIT LEAP

TUCK JUMP

HFR

MommaLove

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back