bars strength

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
What helps a child gain strength for bars? My daughter struggles with bars and I think a lot has to do with upper body strength. She has tiny arms (though her entire body is solid muscle). She is great with the other events (at her last meet she was 1st and 2nd on the other three events...she's Level 6) but can't place in bars.

I know they do conditioning at the gym but certainly don't know what they do and what is specific to help with bars.

A friend has one of those over the door bars and I wondered if that might help her strenghten her arms. Or is that not the issue and it's something else?!

Any advice/suggestions appreciated!

Sounds like me :) Some people are just naturally great bar swingers and some people aren't. Having a strong upper body can help on bars, but you also have to be a decent swinger. But to build up upper body strength she could just do more regular exercises like pushups, handstands, etc. You could also try googling for some different exercises to build upper body strength. Good luck to your DD :)

people keep saying a good swinger what does that mean? haha

people keep saying a good swinger what does that mean? haha

Bar skills shouldn't look 'muscled' or forced, or difficult to perform. They should look easy and the transitions between elements should be really smooth. Some people find this more natural than others. (Of course this starts applying more when you start doing kips, clear hips, and giants.)

To the OP, anything that works arms (pushups, chinups, pullups, handstand holds, cherrypickers, etc) will help with strength, core strength helps a lot on bars too. I wouldn't make your DD do anything, though; maybe mention it and see how she responds - she might feel like she's doing enough conditioning at the gym already and that's fine. Her problem could definately not be strength related - level 6 bars are really hard to hit the angle requirements on the casts and clearhip and she could be having more problems with technique.

Thanks to all replies. (there used to be a 'thank you' button but I seem to have lost it on my screen?!)
My daughter is Level 6 and what someone said about bars being hard to hit with angles etc must apply to my daughter! She doesn't seem to be a 'good swinger' as it all looks challenging for her!! She can 'do' all the elements but she knows she hasn't connected them and yesterday mentioned something about 'adjusting' her hands on bars and said that is a deduction! So, she does know what she needs to do!

I wouldn't want her to do more stuff at home....wouldn't force it! But she was intrigued by her friend's door bar, so wondered if that would be good.

She's just frustrated knowing if she could get her bars skills better she would place higher in the AA and that is important to her! That being said, she is just as motivated by knowing she has the bars skills now so it's a balance. Ideally, she would avoid bars altogether, but there again, she's motivated by the AA and won't give up!!

multiple skills in a row, like 10 glide kips in a row in sets. and then the 100 year favorite....ROPECLIMB!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back