WAG bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i actually have two questions here (or two things to talk about)

1. my coach wants me to do my baby giant with no previous drills or anything like that and she says my form is pretty good but i'm having trouble getting over the bar because i just can't wrap my head around how i'm supposed to bring my hips to the bar. when i do them i usually bring my shins to the bar (as if i'm about to do an upstart/kip) and i just fall back down. it's not a mental block issue or anything i physically just cannot get over. i don't think it's a strength issue either but if that's something that will help then i'm willing to do it...

2. my knee. my right knee is genuinely so screwed up and i don't know why. i don't train intensly so i don't know why it's so bad. today i was literally doing a pullover/up hip circle to get up onto the bars. like i don't know why i didn't just jump on but yeah. but i did a pullover and i fell back down and my right knee bent backwards while my left knee bent normally perfectly fine. my knee bending backwards seems to happen quite a lot and everytime it does, i need to sit out for like ten minutes or so because it hurts so much. i don't know what the issue is with it but is there anything i could do to not have it bend back all the time. it's not just an issue in gym either. sometimes when i'm minding my own business it will begin to feel like a rock is forming with my knee and it just becomes all stiff.

can someone help with either of these?

but i did a pullover and i fell back down and my right knee bent backwards while my left knee bent normally perfectly fine. my knee bending backwards seems to happen quite a lot and everytime it does, i need to sit out for like ten minutes or so because it hurts so much. i don't know what the issue is with it but is there anything i could do to not have it bend back all the time. it's not just an issue in gym either. sometimes when i'm minding my own business it will begin to feel like a rock is forming with my knee and it just becomes all stiff.
Go see a doctor. We can't give you medical advise on a forum, but somebody really needs to take a look at your knee. It could be anything from an injury to just hypermobility, but most of those may require either medical attention or advise and guidance on how to manage it in the future.
1. my coach wants me to do my baby giant with no previous drills or anything like that and she says my form is pretty good but i'm having trouble getting over the bar because i just can't wrap my head around how i'm supposed to bring my hips to the bar. when i do them i usually bring my shins to the bar (as if i'm about to do an upstart/kip) and i just fall back down. it's not a mental block issue or anything i physically just cannot get over. i don't think it's a strength issue either but if that's something that will help then i'm willing to do it...
So a few things here.
1. Talk to your coach and ask them if they have drills to help you understand the movement. I think this is important not just for this skill, but because it's important that you're in an environment where coaches give you the right tools to reach skills.
2. If you can do a kip, then I can see how this can be a confusing motion. It's not at all like a kip. Some things that may help you understand the motion:
- With a kip, you reach the end of the swing, *then* pull your feet to the bar as you start to go backwards again. WIth a baby giant, you dont reach the end of the swing, Your forward swing keeps going and you direct it upwards over the bar.
- You don't need to pike your hips for the baby giant. You're getting over the bar by swinging over it in one forward motion, and (I think) closing your shoulders as you go over so you reach front suport.

Hopefully other people have more tips.
Good luck

Go see a doctor. We can't give you medical advise on a forum, but somebody really needs to take a look at your knee. It could be anything from an injury to just hypermobility, but most of those may require either medical attention or advise and guidance on how to manage it in the future.

So a few things here.
1. Talk to your coach and ask them if they have drills to help you understand the movement. I think this is important not just for this skill, but because it's important that you're in an environment where coaches give you the right tools to reach skills.
2. If you can do a kip, then I can see how this can be a confusing motion. It's not at all like a kip. Some things that may help you understand the motion:
- With a kip, you reach the end of the swing, *then* pull your feet to the bar as you start to go backwards again. WIth a baby giant, you dont reach the end of the swing, Your forward swing keeps going and you direct it upwards over the bar.
- You don't need to pike your hips for the baby giant. You're getting over the bar by swinging over it in one forward motion, and (I think) closing your shoulders as you go over so you reach front suport.

Hopefully other people have more tips.
Good luck
okay good idea i have no idea why i didn't think about that. i'll see if i can get my mum to book an appointment

and thank you for the advice and the tips. i'll try them the next time i'm on bars and see if they help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back