WAG Uneven Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My all-around scores this season have been absolutely horrible because of bars. My highest score was a 35 or so, because I was scoring in the 7s on bars. My coach changed my routine (Level 7), so I do toe on toe off to handstand instead of free hips. Anyways, the biggest problem I have is bent arms. Especially on my kip cast handstand. My kip is fine, but after I cast I bend my arms. It's frustrating me now, considering that I know I'm strong enough to keep them straight. What might I be doing wrong?

My all-around scores this season have been absolutely horrible because of bars. My highest score was a 35 or so, because I was scoring in the 7s on bars. My coach changed my routine (Level 7), so I do toe on toe off to handstand instead of free hips. Anyways, the biggest problem I have is bent arms. Especially on my kip cast handstand. My kip is fine, but after I cast I bend my arms. It's frustrating me now, considering that I know I'm strong enough to keep them straight. What might I be doing wrong?
Without a video it’s hard to know but bent arms in a cast is generally not pushing through your shoulders enough. A proper cast handstand should be smooth and easy to lean then pop to handstand. I suggest focusing on when leaning over the bar not trying to force the handstand through your arms but through your shoulders instead.

Without a video it’s hard to know but bent arms in a cast is generally not pushing through your shoulders enough. A proper cast handstand should be smooth and easy to lean then pop to handstand. I suggest focusing on when leaning over the bar not trying to force the handstand through your arms but through your shoulders instead.
Adding on to this shoulder shrugs in a handstand, and lots of presses against a wall are beneficial.

Thanks a ton! Also, I'm doing a straight body cast handstand since I hurt my hip and can't straddle, does that make a difference? I've only had it for 3 or so weeks, and it's consistently to handstand but I'm still taking a .1 or .2 deduction on each. Thanks again.

Thanks a ton! Also, I'm doing a straight body cast handstand since I hurt my hip and can't straddle, does that make a difference? I've only had it for 3 or so weeks, and it's consistently to handstand but I'm still taking a .1 or .2 deduction on each. Thanks again.
In terms of scoring, no. Not different. Straddle is easier for most gymnasts though.

Yeah, all of my teammates do straddle. But my coach said my arms were a lot better today, so I guess that's progress?
Is it a common issue though? I've been in the sport for around 20 months, and this is still a kinda new skill. Will it improve with time as well?

Is it a common issue though? I've been in the sport for around 20 months, and this is still a kinda new skill. Will it improve with time as well?
Oh wow, thats less than 2 years. And this is a level 7 skill. That's very fast progress!
Definitely will improve with time (as do almost all things). I'd say its kinda common, I have a couple teammates who do it. At meets though, most have straight arms. But don't worry, keep working on it - it'll get better. It may be a shoulder strength issue since you haven't been doing gymnastics that long 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah, all of my teammates do straddle. But my coach said my arms were a lot better today, so I guess that's progress?
20 months wow! It’s impressive to have a cast handstand without being in the sport even two years. Straight body cast is definitely more difficulty. Body shaping wise it takes more core strength than a normal straddle cast. It may be shoulders but also abdominal engagement needed in the cast. Vups, hollow holds etc. can improve this. Glad you’re already seeing it improve though!

One thing that I have noticed is that I kip with straight arms, my arms bend as I lean forwards, and then they straighten again at around 45° from vertical. Why might this be? (I'm a pretty tall— for a gymnast anyways— and have sort of long arms as well.)

One thing that I have noticed is that I kip with straight arms, my arms bend as I lean forwards, and then they straighten again at around 45° from vertical. Why might this be? (I'm a pretty tall— for a gymnast anyways— and have sort of long arms as well.)
Do your arms bend before your hips leave the bar, as you are leaning your shoulders over the bar at the end of your kip?

If you have long arms compared to your body, you may be bending them so you can make a greater compression at the end of your kip before you start the cast (this is what you want, but not by bending your arms). Try putting your hands a little further apart and make sure you are really pushing your shoulders to your ears in this compression.

Yeah, and then they usually straighten out.
Maybe try if you also bend your arms when you do a kip with a smaller cast. It could be an issue with the wrist shift in your kip: if you can't get your hands over the bar far enough, you need to bend your arms to get your shoulders forwards.
It's also very possible that you're doing it for extra compression (like the previous post is saying). I think just bringing it up with your coach and giving it time will help.

I just got back from practice, and I FINALLY got my arms completely straight. Yay! I think it was probably the compression out of the kip, I put my arms a bit further apart (not too wide) and made sure to push my shoulders to my ears, and it was 100x easier to not only get to handstand but to maintain good form as well. Thank you so, SO much for all of the answers!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back