WAG Beam Connection is this even allowed?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, rare connection I’m training bhs step out switch leg to side aerial. Basically in the back handspring I split right then switch to left to step down and go into the side aerial on my good leg. I was wondering if the bhs switch is allowed or even a skill cause I thought I saw a Michigan gymnast does this series but I’m not sure. This series is way more consistent for me than my aerial bhs or aerial round off so I would love to be able to compete it.

Are you talking something like this?

Are you talking something like this?

Yes! I’m planning on doing this but mine I literally start with a small split before switching, this girl keeps her feet together and does a late step out. Does it matter which way you do it? I don’t wanna practice the bhs with the step out then switch if the step out versus feet together entry gets a deduction.

Yes! I’m planning on doing this but mine I literally start with a small split before switching, this girl keeps her feet together and does a late step out. Does it matter which way you do it? I don’t wanna practice the bhs with the step out then switch if the step out versus feet together entry gets a deduction.

I guess I'm not really sure what you are talking about. Could you explain it a different way or post a video?

I guess I'm not really sure what you are talking about. Could you explain it a different way or post a video?
I don’t have a video rn but I can try to get one. The easiest way to explain it is I do a right leg split bhs step out then switch my legs to step down with my left at the end of the bhs. Basically a switch split in the air but a tiny one.

I would just step out with the leg that is needed for the aerial instead of switching them. There wouldn’t be any deduction that I know of as long as you did it smoothly with no form breaks. Just seems like an unnecessary extra movement to me though. We’ve had plenty of gymnasts learn to step down on their other leg for one reason or another.

I would just step out with the leg that is needed for the aerial instead of switching them. There wouldn’t be any deduction that I know of as long as you did it smoothly with no form breaks. Just seems like an unnecessary extra movement to me though. We’ve had plenty of gymnasts learn to step down on their other leg for one reason or another.
That’s good to know, I think if I just did my left leg it would be more difficult flexibility wise for me so that’s sorta why the switch works. I may try it like the girl in the video did and just step out late though to make it smoother! Thanks for your help.

We teach small split… late step outs to all of our gymnasts. We find it to be much more consistent.

My daughter is a level 9 and does this series like the video shows (minus the extra aerial)
Thanks for your response! I’m glad to hear someone else does it. If you don’t mind me asking how does it normal score? Does she step out late in the BHS like JBS recommends?

Thanks for your response! I’m glad to hear someone else does it. If you don’t mind me asking how does it normal score? Does she step out late in the BHS like JBS recommends?
Not sure what you mean, but when she has had any kind of shift or wobble between the back handspring and the aerial she has not gotten credit for the connection, so I am having a hard time picturing switching legs between the connection?

Not sure what you mean, but when she has had any kind of shift or wobble between the back handspring and the aerial she has not gotten credit for the connection, so I am having a hard time picturing switching legs between the connection?
Oh okay! I was just asking about her technic for the bhs, I assume from your response she does a normal bad leg bhs step out then! And that makes sense w/ the wobble I expect that but otherwise it seems to score pretty well when she does hit it is what I was asking!

Oh okay! I was just asking about her technic for the bhs, I assume from your response she does a normal bad leg bhs step out then! And that makes sense w/ the wobble I expect that but otherwise it seems to score pretty well when she does hit it is what I was asking!
Yes, she switched from Aerial BHS to the BHS Aerial because she felt it was easier to keep her hips square in the back handspring and make the connection with the Aerial to get the bonus.

I still find the scoring a little confusing for Level 9, but I can usually tell with the scores whether she makes her connection without any form breaks! It isnt always easy to see across the gym - lol!

I hope this series works well for you! Keep us updated! My daughter has a meet this weekend- hoping she gets that connection bonus this time!!

Yes, she switched from Aerial BHS to the BHS Aerial because she felt it was easier to keep her hips square in the back handspring and make the connection with the Aerial to get the bonus.

I still find the scoring a little confusing for Level 9, but I can usually tell with the scores whether she makes her connection without any form breaks! It isnt always easy to see across the gym - lol!

I hope this series works well for you! Keep us updated! My daughter has a meet this weekend- hoping she gets that connection bonus this time!!
Thanks! I won’t be switching to it till next year but I’m hoping it’s successful! Beam has always been so tough for me when it comes to Acro connections and I really hope this is the one. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back