WAG Beam input please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dd had her first usag meet today level 4. During the inhouse meet, she scored 8.8 on beam, today she scored 7.9, she did fell. This is her first year as a level 4 and came straight from lv 3, spent 1 year there too. She's 8 and was group 9 and under. I was wondering if there's any coaches, judges here that could give some input how to get her score up? I know she needs to tighten up and stretch more. Thank you in advance. I can pm video.

She scored 7.9 with a fall... add the fall deduction back in and it would be 8.4. Depending on what skill she fell on and whether they gave her credit or not, she may have been in the 8.5 - 9.0 range had she not fallen.

She scored 7.9 with a fall... add the fall deduction back in and it would be 8.4. Depending on what skill she fell on and whether they gave her credit or not, she may have been in the 8.5 - 9.0 range had she not fallen.

She fell on her cartwheel. But her feet touched the beam.

One of the biggest problems kids tend to have on beam is rushing, they go quickly and end up with wobbles and falls. Costing big points for the fall and lots of little points for the wobbles. Encourage her to breath and take her time.

Why not video her and have her look at her own video and evaluate things like her pointed toes, straight knees, posture, solid landings and so on.

Her coach said she was slow but she didn't really overtime. Idk... Lol trying to figure this sport out is making me cray cray. I guess I will see what will happen next meet. Ty all :)

7.9 with a fall for her first meet is a very respectable score. Her coaches will work with her to fine-tune things and you will probably see the score go up. Also, the more she competes the more confidence she will gain. Just tell her to keep working hard and listen to the coaches.

I find the biggest problem I have as a mom is to not give too much input. Your daughter needs your support as a mom, and not for you to help her get her score up. If she asks you to help, you can offer to video her routines for her to look at - but - and this is a big but - your best bet as a mom - is Unless you are her coach - leave the coaching to her coaches.

You should give her moral support if she is feeling down, but otherwise, leave it alone. The jump in skills and deductions from Level 3 to Level 4 is huge, and it is a bit overwhelming for a lot of gymnasts. She'll get there, she just needs some time.

I'm sure her own coach is aware of what needs to be fixed. I don't talk to my DD about beam at all. It's her worst event by far and I quickly learned that she doesn't want to talk about it after comps. Scores this year ranged from 7.8 to 8.2, and she fell twice at most comps. Her problem though is confidence, if she thinks she is going to fall, she doesn't even fight to save it. Her coach is aware and working on it.

I find the biggest problem I have as a mom is to not give too much input. Your daughter needs your support as a mom, and not for you to help her get her score up. If she asks you to help, you can offer to video her routines for her to look at - but - and this is a big but - your best bet as a mom - is Unless you are her coach - leave the coaching to her coaches.

You should give her moral support if she is feeling down, but otherwise, leave it alone. The jump in skills and deductions from Level 3 to Level 4 is huge, and it is a bit overwhelming for a lot of gymnasts. She'll get there, she just needs some time.

I wouldn't be here asking if she's not asking me what she did differently. I don't know myself so that's why I offered a video. And I know she will get there, my dd is talented. And I support her medal or not! She ask the coach what she can do to make it better and coach will look at the video on Monday. That's why I ask if a coach or judge can give feedback, not moms ;)

She needs to listen closely to the corrections her coaches are giving her. :)
Experience will make her more confident.
My DD goes on and on about gymnastics, According to DD ,"Listen to what the coach says to you, but more importantly, listen to what they say to others."

In other words, like said earlier, make sure she is listening to her coach, but try to take corrections that were not even said to her. Everything helps.

Dd had her first usag meet today level 4. During the inhouse meet, she scored 8.8 on beam, today she scored 7.9, she did fell. This is her first year as a level 4 and came straight from lv 3, spent 1 year there too. She's 8 and was group 9 and under. I was wondering if there's any coaches, judges here that could give some input how to get her score up? I know she needs to tighten up and stretch more. Thank you in advance. I can pm video.

stop it now. it was her first meet. let it go. smile. be happy. :)

Here's my philosophy on first meets: If you can get through it with out any of the three T's (tears, tinkle, or throw-up), it was successful.

Early on kids tend to get 10th'd to death on beam with all the little wobbles. She'll get more stability and her score will go up.

I wouldn't be here asking if she's not asking me what she did differently. I don't know myself so that's why I offered a video. And I know she will get there, my dd is talented. And I support her medal or not! She ask the coach what she can do to make it better and coach will look at the video on Monday. That's why I ask if a coach or judge can give feedback, not moms ;)

So, that's a little different. I apologize. However, as the mom, your job is still to offer moral support and to build your daughter up.

If your daughter is asking you " Mom, I want to score higher, what can I do to score higher?" Then, I'd tell her " Sweetie, my job as your mother is NOT to look at your routine to tell you where you went wrong. My job is to love and support you. Your coach's job is to help you improve your gymnastics"

That being said, DD's coach will video all the girls' routines at meets and go through them afterwards to look for deductions and areas to improve.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back