BHS Help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone. I have really wanted my BHS on the ground for awhile. And I promised myself I would get it over Spring Break, which started today. I have had my BHS on the trampoline for about 6 months now and I have to say it's pretty good. I was trying them on the ground today and when I landed on my hands, my elbow popped or something and it hurt like crazy when I got up. So I layed off of it for about anhour and tried again, it didn't hurt my elbow this time but I messed up and landed on my knees. I tried again, hoping to land it, but the same thing happened with my elbow again and now it hurts really bad. My elbow has hurt before after doing lots of backwards skills but never really this bad. Anyone have any idea how to land on my hands better and fix my BHS so I don't end up breaking my arm? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

It's going to be hard to tell you exactly what you're doing wrong w/o actually seeing you do it. I do, however, think it would be better if you're doing them w/a coach in a gym so you don't get hurt. As far as some conditioning & drills to help the back handspring, you can do lots of handstand blocks ( head in), handstand snap-downs, & also handstand push ups. All of those things will help you get strong & build you up for a more correct back handspring. :)

First thing would to be stop using a trampoline to do back handsprings. This tends to create incorrect habits that are hard to break. It is great for correcting form issues once you have the technique down.
Second thing would be to do them with a spot until your jump is correct. If you are jumping correctly, you don't come down on your hands, they kind of bounce off the ground on your way over. It's a lot less impact than when you come in at the wrong angle.

Without a video I really couldn't say any more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back