WAG Boot or crutches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

Hi everyone :)

I went to the orthopedic and it was determined a tore a ligament in my ankle - and it's the dreaded high ankle sprain (I tore a ligament that is higher in the ankle, it helps you walk). He said I can either stay in my boot with no crutches, or use crutches and a brace. I don't know which to do. Any advice would be appreciated :) (Especially for school tomorrow haha)

Our doctor/physio suggest getting off the foot as much as possible when there's an injury like this. If you were my daughter, I'd probably be pushing for boot at gym but the time use crutches (with the boot still on). That way you can reduce the load on the ankle and gradually build up as the healing occurs. Our physio talks about having only so many steps in your day that the ankle can handle and maximising those in the gym rather than getting around everywhere else. Crutches for a week or 2 could really promote healing.

Our doctor/physio suggest getting off the foot as much as possible when there's an injury like this. If you were my daughter, I'd probably be pushing for boot at gym but the time use crutches (with the boot still on). That way you can reduce the load on the ankle and gradually build up as the healing occurs. Our physio talks about having only so many steps in your day that the ankle can handle and maximising those in the gym rather than getting around everywhere else. Crutches for a week or 2 could really promote healing.

This.

I definitely vote for the boot! I was on crutches for almost a month when I was about 6, it was not a fun time! I think I'm the only person I know who's gotten that severe of a sprain from falling off the monkey bars....

="Vivianflips, post: 434461, member: 17720"]I definitely vote for the boot! I was on crutches for almost a month when I was about 6, it was not a fun time! I think I'm the only person I know who's gotten that severe of a sprain from falling off the monkey bars....
Lol, i can beat that... 6 weeks on crutches for a sprained ankle I got STANDING in my kitchen. Then braced for 6 more weeks and PT for 6 weeks after that (12 weeks total PT... didn't make my insurance too happy, but it was needed).

Boot. Crutches will so minimize weightbearing that you won't really be engaging your quad or hamstring much. I would think you would want to try to keep the leg muscles as strong as you can during this period. So, if doc says boot is safe, that would be my vote (but I am not a doctor!).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back