Bra for under leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
DD wants a COMFORTABLE tan sports bra(racer back) to wear under her leos. She has tried on the GK bras(they have exactly what she's looking for) but she the found the underband to be very tight & uncomfortable(even when she sized up). She prefers the kids type sports bras we find at Kohl's, but they only come in white & pink & non-racer back. They show too much under her leos & she'd like something that blends a bit better. The women's sport bras all seem very bulk with a lot of material & more support then she really needs. Does anyone know of a brand or store (other then GK)that sells a no support/very light support racer back bra in tan in a childs XL or Adult XS??? Thanks for your help!

I've seen some good ones at Target, their C9 brand has a couple good styles, but I don't remember if they have tan. Otherwise I'd try Justice or another store like that, although it is associated with preteens they are pretty well made for the smaller sizes.

I was going to say target too, that is where i get them for my girls.
they do have racerback, but i doubt you will find tan... we have gotten plain white and grey and other light solid "heather" colors, a pale green i think. they are thin and more for an extra layer than support.

We tried gk too and it was very bulky, i love gk but could not imagine anyone actually wearing that under a leo.

or try the marshall's, ross, tj maxx type stores they usually have an array of athletic clothing for bargain prices.

This bra (minus the color selection) might work. While it is only available on that site in a few colors, I've frequently found that I can order something from T9, determine the manufacturer, and usually find additional choices elsewhere with a google search of the make/model, if you will.

Good luck!

This bra (minus the color selection) might work. While it is only available on that site in a few colors, I've frequently found that I can order something from T9, determine the manufacturer, and usually find additional choices elsewhere with a google search of the make/model, if you will.

Good luck!
That does look very comfy:D!

I like the target kids' sportsbras for working out. The extralarge fits up to a smallish adult. I dont know if they come in tan, but they're way not bulky.

Depending on size & leo style, Hanes and another company both started making 'real' bras in mostly spandex (bonus: they come in half sizes). They come in all the usual colors, & are non bulky & extremely comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this for practice leos?
Because at dd's gym it seem to be a thing to wear a sports bra that clashes as much as possible with your leo, or to wear a t-back bra with your non-t-back or spaghetti strapped bra. Basically, it is sport bra straps everywhere. DD wore a new bright blue one with her spaghetti strapped gray and red leo.

We did get her sports-bras at Target. Funny thing though, the adult x-small fit her better then the child small because she could adjust the straps so that the bra was not nearly to her waist.

Coolmax

For regular workouts, look for the ones made with the coolmax type material. They are thin and light and wick away moisture. They are way comfortable in the hot weather. Nike, Adidas, and Champion all make them. Nikes come in more colors. You can get them at Academy or Sports Authority.

For competitions, look for ones with transparent removable straps in case of slippage. (Think we got my DD's at Target.)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We're actually looking for something for practice, to go under a certain leo. But she will also need something different for competition when meets start later in the year.

She's been fine with her child sports bras (pink or white) showing under her practice leos (mostly standard tanks). But she just got a cute new racer back/key hole leo & she thinks it would "look better" with racer back tan bra(although I think white or some other color would be fine too). For this particular leo, I think any non-bulky racer back style bra is what will make a difference.

Now I am thinking about meet season too. For competitions she did suffer through wearing a GK bra last year, but she says now they don't fit her well & are way too uncomfortable. So I'm looking early to see what her options are there too.

She doesn't want anything adjustable(no plastic or metal bits anywhere), or plastic straps. Just a light weight comfortable pullover. Cami type staps (in tan) would work with her competion leo, that's what her GK one was. She never had a problem with the cami straps, they stayed tucked away nicely. But the GK underband is now downright unacceptable to her, even in larger sizes.

Thanks for all of your input. Time to go shopping:D! I'd at least like to find her some type of racer back, so she can wear her new leo to practice tomorrow:D.

When I had a white leo one time I had to dye a white bra to wear under it. My mom & I used tea bags to dye it which worked really good to get it as close to my skin color as possible (think only slightly darker than Casper the Ghost). Good luck finding one!

You know, you mught try a "tea" dye..the bra material might hold the color from the tea better than using "rit" or some other commercial dye

Try dance wear suppliers as well, although I never understood why girls were so anxious to wear bras under leos its just soooooooo uncomfortable.

I second the suggestion to try dance suppliers. I have heard good things about Dancewear Solutions - Dancewear, dance shoes, dance accessories, dance apparel & discount dance wear, for up to a 30% discount!, but you would need to take a risk with sizing the first time around if you've never ordered from them. The areas where I have lived all seemed to have a few dance suppliers, so you might have some luck just checking out the phone book.
It looks like Motionwear has a racerback style in a nude color as well as a "gymnastics" style that could work under a competition leo. It's not tank style, but it doesn't appear to have plastic or metal adjustments on it. UnderWears
As a gymnast I had some luck with the children's section at Old Navy, that was several years ago though so I'm not sure if they still have the styles they did then.

Try dance wear suppliers as well, although I never understood why girls were so anxious to wear bras under leos its just soooooooo uncomfortable.

Yeah my 5 year old already wants one! She wants to be a big girl. There's a 7 year old L5 at her gym that wears them. And like someone else said having them clash with the leo seems to be the thing to do. That I don't mind, but it bugs me when they wear the tight GK shorts that clash with their leo. Leos are so expensive! Why run the look?

staceyb - that's a great idea! I didn't think about dancewear.

Here is one from Capezio with clear straps, though they do adjust.

And another, though I'm unsure it's drastically different.

One by Body Wrappers

This one by Bal Togs doesn't have the clear/multipositional straps, though they do still adjust

This one from Patagonia isn't cheap, but it appears to fit the bill on all counts - no adjustability, thin straps, and racerback.

Has anyone had any experience with the brand CC Girl? They seem to have several that might work:

Racerback - comes in Nude

Cami straps, but they do adjust

Not a sports bra, per se, but may still work

Anyway - a few more to ponder. Hope this helps someone!

Not a problem, acro leos were usually more, shall we say decorative, than artistic leos and once I had boobs to support i had to become creative with bras.

no one really cares for practice i wear a neon pink one sometimes but they will take off if it is really noticable at comps they will take off so i went to a local dance store you could probally order one from like capezio or some dance company or even an under over (nude leo usually for quick changes)

tbh I just have a couple of normal bras that are quite old that I wear to practice but mind you I am pretty flat chested and I just deal with straps showing, its not a big deal

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back