Parents brag alert not my daughter,her coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just wanted to brag about my daughters coach! Daughter was going through a rough time this year thinking about quitting her coach spoke with her one night and she has not mentioned it since. Then she manages to help my daughter get more confidence in her floor routine and helps her get a scccore high enough to qualify for states. Earlier this year daughter was worried about having to learn giants and backhandsprings on the beam. At IGC she was one the strap bar trying giants and crashed which made her scared of them. Well this past week her coach put her on the strap bar and was having her do them with her spotting her. Then she had her doing backhandsprings on the low beam. Daughter was so excited and is looking forward to mastering these new skills now and is just generally excited about gymnastics again. Her coach has just been amazing how well she handles my daughter and her fears and fustrations I just needed to brag about her. Does anybody else have a coach like this that just such a great job with your gymnast.

Thanks for bragging on a good coach. We all are so quick to complain and vent here when we are frustrated with coaches. Your Daughter's coach sounds a lot like Kayla's new coach and I can't say enough about how much she has grown as a result of this amazing coach. Kayla was also on the brink of quitting in September. Last week she asked if we could move to Texas so she could train at WOGA! I assured her we CANNOT!!! But it was so nice to see that fire lit and I thank her coach for igniting it.

That is great! It is good to hear about such a kind encouraging coach! I love Cady's coaches as well, have never had a problem, although she is still pretty early in the sport. Thanks for sharing!

finally...hearing something positive about a coach.:)

You are exactly right Dunno - far to often we fail to show our appreciation for our coaches. Dd has had the same HC for 12 years and he is now just like another member of the family. I don't know how common this is in the gym world but I feel that dd has been very lucky. Just curious how many of you have had an experience like this?

I know I love my daugters coaches!
They are all supportive and Help her and keep making sure they tell them how well they are doing, even when its not great!
They make sure the way they tell them to work on things are not critising them but letting them know what needs to be done!
I agree about a lot of us are first to critisize the coaches but never focus on the good things!

Its wonderful that you DD has such a loving, supportive coach. Its great that she is "in love" with the sport again.
My DD too has a wonderful coach. She really seems to be spot on, on how to "deal" with each child in each issue. She is kinda like their mom away from home..lol. Always there to offer a high five or big hug (you see this many times from her in DD meet videos). She is the first to be firm and stict if thats what it calls for but also the first to scoop them up in a big all comsuming hug if thats what is needed too. My dd coach isnt the HC (who is always there too), but kinda is in a sense with the itties bitties. Her coach shared with me (which she is very good with talking to parents too) that during one meet where my DD went over the beam on her mount (just an L2) and banged her arm on the support bar that she told my dd that all she had to do was salute the judge and walk off that she didnt have to get back up there. But she knew deep down that what DD needed to do at that point was get back up there and finish, and for my DD the best approach was to say she didnt have to do it..and that made her want to do it. A little reverse phycology..but thats what worked. I made my DD feel it was her choice, taught her that even though she was scared of it at that point that if she didnt face her fears head on she would never move past that point. The end result was what it should be, and her coach was happy for her, for making the "right" choice for herself (for some it would have been better to just sit it out and face it later), for being brave and facing her fears, and my DD learned that its okay to make a mistake. And the look on her face when her feet hit the floor after it was over and the whole place who was holding their collective breath let out a whooping cheer for her. (DD thinks the best part of meet is that everyone "cheers for her"..lol). I always loved her coach..but at that point I started respecting her.

My dds coach is wonderful too. DD had a mental block after splitting the beam on her dismount this year, a dismount that she had done around 400 times and now she could not do it at all. She would try it but could not twist it on over and would fall back the wrong direction. Her coach spent so much time encouraging her and never getting frustrated and working it out! She told me to never mention it and she would deal with it and she did! DD had beautiful dismounts for competition. I feel like our coach knows what works well with each child. Great coaches are definitely the ones who would make great psychologists(because they are already counseling)

We are all so lucky ot have great coaches. I go out of my way to recognize great things dd's coach does. I often hear that parents are demanding and even threaten the coach that if their child doesn't get so and so, or doesn't make it to states or whatever...

so besides bragging here, please make sure you say something to the great coaches. They really need it and deserve it.
It sure seems to have made a big impression on Panda girl!

That's great! I know she's had her ups and downs this year & it's great that the coach knows how to motivate her & takes the time to help her find the spark again. I always think how hard it would be to actually BE a coach & have to coach so many different ages/personalities on one team. They have to figure out how every girl "ticks" and it is nice to know many do care and take the time to keep the girls motivated & happy! I am not sure coaches realize how powerful they are sometimes. All it takes is some extra help or a couple postive words to the kids and they are re-charged and ready to go. Most kids want to please, but sometimes become frustrated. Younger ones just don't understand the frustration & think if they don't get something as quickly as others or score as well, they should quit. I think everyone on a team has something to offer, and KUDOS to all coaches out there that work with all to bring out the best in all!

Just wanted to bump this one back to the top. Come on everyone..share your mostest wonderfulest coach in the whole wide world stories. :)

We also have a wonderful coach. She coaches the level 3 team (no easy task) and is so amazing. She knows everyone's name and remembers it forever. Not just her girls on the team, but their siblings, the boy's team, the parents, the older girls. SHe hugs everyone and instantly is mobbed upon entering the gym by all the young girls. She is so generally excited for the girls when they master a skill (as seen on my video of my daughter getting her mill circle at a meet) lol. She is truly a wonderful coach. We are so LUCKY to have her at our gym. My daughter has improved so much in such a short time and every girl seems to feel special being coached by her. The only down side is the level 3's don't want to leave the nest to go to level 4 now! They love their level 3 coach!!! :)

DD and I both LOVE her coaches. Her HC is just awesome with the girls and DD would do anything for her (well, not anything, she is still cautious and only goes for a skill if she is 110% sure she can do it!). She has come to me when DD had a change in attitude during practice to see what was going on, followed my requests when DD was injured on taken it slow and is just a really great coach. Very positive with the girls. Makes things fun for them. She just rocks!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back