Parents Breakage Mullet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gopuckgo

Coach
Proud Parent
Help! My daughter has very fine hair and is is sort of thin. She has to wear her hair back for gym daily. Last night I took her hair down and went to comb it and all the breakage that is happening around her face looks like a mullet! The back is long, shoulder length and the front was long, but not anymore. Is there a better hairstyle or spray that would prevent this? OMG! We typically just do a plain ponytail because her hair is so slippery it slides out of everything. Suggestions from good hair people please!

I quite often plait the front section from ear to ear and then slip that in with the pony. I leave the plait in over night, it usually lasts 3 - 5 days and doesn't stress the hair.

I think the key is to do something different from day to day. Anytime you do the same thing over and over again you will have issues with breakage. Good luck!

Mine too.

The best way to deal with it is get it cropped. Short. Younger dd was fine with this and it's grown out beautifully to shoulder length .

Dd1 of course being older wouldn't let me, and it's a losing battle. It just breaks off before it gets chance to grow. I've talked her into one of those inverse bob things, short at the back and jaw length (well that's the intention, it usually breaks around ear level) at the front. That way it doesn't really need tying back, just a clip or a very soft band.

But yes. A haircut so you touch it as little as possible. Wash it as little as possible, with a plain gentle shampoo. I often comb coconut oil through it too if I get the chance- leave in overnight and wash out in the morning.

Oh yes- someone gave us some miracle10 leave in conditioner. It's supposed to be amazing. I haven't used it enough to see a major difference, you can't get it easily in the uk, and it's very expensive. Might be different for you as it's a us product :)

Would 2 side ponytails be less strain on her hair? What are you suing to secure the ponytail?

What about two french braids? You say other hairstyles slip out, do you use gel?

My 6 yo dd has very fine and brittle hair also!!! If you look at it wrong it literally falls off her head :(.... I have found a double pony works well!!!

I do a half up pony to start and then gather all hair to do a low pony and keep it back tight. No fly aways, and I have found overall the damage has been less. Also, don't EVER let her take the ponies out!!! My daughter will not think twice before ripping then out of her head and damaging her hair in the process...

Supposedly there are some vitamin supplements you can take to help with hair growth and strength but we haven't tried anything like that...

We have tried gel in the past but she doesn't like how sticky it feels. She could seriously be a stunt double for Joe Dirt right now or maybe play his sister. I will try the double pony. We use those plastic bands that are supposed to be better for thin hair and breakage.

I agree with Faith. Find a cute short hairstyle and let her rock it.

I swear-- the movie Tangled and Rapunzel have made life impossible with my little girl!!! "I want it loooooooong!!" Lol

Trim it up if she won't go short (my DD).... And those little plastic ouchless hair bands, IMO, need to be cut out and not pulled out of the hair!

P&F had very skinny hair when she was littler, so I cut it into a bob for two years and its thickened up nicely - plus she looked really cute

That's happening to DD's hair too, and the little broken tendrils in front are curly! I have bone straight hair and DD's has always been the same as mine, so to see little curls popping up around her face is a little strange. I think her hair must be changing as she gets older. But there is no way she is going to let us cut it short, nor do I see her doing anything different than your standard ponytail (she is 13 and does it herself), so I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it. At least this damage is temporary, unlike the damage she's done to her toenails through gymnastics.

I wonder if this type of headband with the silicone strips on the inside would work for her? This would stop the breakage and give the shorter pieces a chance to grow out. TJ Maxx and Marshalls (in the U.S.) sell good quality ones for cheap! As far as preventative measures...I think of doing hair like mowing my grass :p Doing or cutting it a different way each time allows the hair (grass) to look its best. I would try and switch the part that gets pulled back between a ponytail, tucked-under braid, and a twisted messy bun.

Help! My daughter has very fine hair and is is sort of thin. She has to wear her hair back for gym daily. Last night I took her hair down and went to comb it and all the breakage that is happening around her face looks like a mullet! The back is long, shoulder length and the front was long, but not anymore. Is there a better hairstyle or spray that would prevent this? OMG! We typically just do a plain ponytail because her hair is so slippery it slides out of everything. Suggestions from good hair people please!

We have tried gel in the past but she doesn't like how sticky it feels. She could seriously be a stunt double for Joe Dirt right now or maybe play his sister. I will try the double pony. We use those plastic bands that are supposed to be better for thin hair and breakage.
You should try other brands of gel. Some make the hair stiff rather than sticky. My dd likss the Studio Line brand of gel. You can also look for gorilla snot - it's highly recommended by dancers and is used by those who have mohawks (so very stiff not stitcky.) Also, a sticky hair in a different style may be better than broken. Hairspray ehlps too. My dd is also in theater and used gel and hairspray to keep her hair in control. She uses gel every time she puts her hair up.

I've always used the cloth covered hair bands, my hair is very thin and fragile as is my dd's. Like these: http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair_..._id=1a7ea079-c44c-481e-8d02-db7cd0b32277Maybe try them instead of the plastic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back