Parents Bringing gym bag through TSA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are doing a flyaway meet next week for the first time, and are just curious about experiences bringing gym bag/ grips/ etc through tsa. DD is terrified of TSA taking her grips. She’s not bringing chalk and we are going to vacuum out her gym bag to get rid of chalk, but please let us know any experiences you have had/ any advice!

I checked with a relative who works in airport security here in the UK and he told me that anyone with any experience in the job will be able to tell just by looking whether the white powder on something is worth investigating or not. And also: "The average drug smuggler or terrorist doesn't tend to have cocaine on anthrax or whatever smeared all over their bag. At least not the ones who want a long career."

We’ve never had any trouble with chalk and grips, but rolls of strapping tape seem to get the bags opened after the x-ray every time. No idea why. It’s fine though - a quick bag check and we are on our way again.

Won't be an issue at all.

My brother is a TSA goon (that's his phrasing, not mine), and he says all they actually care about is weapons and explosives. I have a hard time imagining anybody mistaking grips for either of those.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back