Cell Phones

• Thread starter Stretchsportguy
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Stretchsportguy

Ever been to a place where you least expect it and the person who is supposed to take care of you at the counter is on their cell phone having a personal engaging private conversation?

I remember the days when you would see hand written notes taped to the wall telling the employees that no personal calls are allowed.

These days every gymnast and their dog has a cell phone. They hide them in their gym bags. In their lockers. They even bring them on the gym floor and hide them in their spare shoes.

My question is whether this is a problem in your gym and how do you handle it? My daughter spends every available nano second on her cell phone. Good thing she's not a gymnast.

I still don't have a cellphone...:psst: haha. but... It was only ever a problem at highschool practices, girls brought their phones literally EVERYWHERE. (On the floor, near the chalk, in the bathroom, at meets...)

I never got a phone because everyone around me has one, so I don't see the need to get my own. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That was a delightful answer, gymnastbeth. It made me laugh.

Ever been to a place where you least expect it and the person who is supposed to take care of you at the counter is on their cell phone having a personal engaging private conversation?

I remember the days when you would see hand written notes taped to the wall telling the employees that no personal calls are allowed.

These days every gymnast and their dog has a cell phone. They hide them in their gym bags. In their lockers. They even bring them on the gym floor and hide them in their spare shoes.

My question is whether this is a problem in your gym and how do you handle it? My daughter spends every available nano second on her cell phone. Good thing she's not a gymnast.

Not anymore. there was an issue about 2 years ago with cell phones and the gym banned them from the gym if they are seen they are taken. The gym had a big parents meeting and told all the parent to leave them at home and if they needed to contact their daughter to call the office number and they would let the girls use the office phone for emergency calls etc. So we have a no cell phone for gymnasts at the gym.

Not an issue, my kids don't have cell phones. The gym has no problems with it as very few girls have them and they are just not used at gym. The school will take them away if they hear them ring, very simple.

The cell phone culture here is not the same as the UK and USA.

My girls are almost 14 and 11.

My children are not getting cell phones until they are 16.... Haha. Our gym doesn't have a problem with this, girl's are allowed to bring cell phone's into the locker room but they are not allowed to use them unless it is an emergency. If they are caught using their phone they condition for the rest of practice.

I think the problem of gymnasts having them is relatively simple to solve. Leave them in the locker room or with their stuff with the ringer turned off. I'd never ban them because the phone is a source of security for the parents. Even more if the gymnast is driving herself around, should something happen on the road and whatnot. The bigger issue to me is the parents and texting or emailing rather than calling the office about time sensitive or important information. It doesn't look bad to take a piece of paper with a message on it while coaching, but there is increasing reliance of email and especially texting by parents. I don't believe most coaches have their phones on them while coaching, I certainly don't. It's extremely annoying to find a 2 hour old text/email that was important because I don't walk around with my phone.

It's more of an issue with team parents, most rec issues are handled through the office. There are many ways or good reasons for a gym parent to end up with a team coaches number, it's just not always the best option to use.

Last edited:
I think the problem of gymnasts having them is relatively simple to solve. Leave them in the locker room or with their stuff with the ringer turned off. I'd never ban them because the phone is a source of security for the parents. Even more if the gymnast is driving herself around, should something happen on the road and whatnot. The bigger issue to me is the parents and texting or emailing rather than calling the office about time sensitive or important information. It doesn't look bad to take a piece of paper with a message on it while coaching, but there is increasing reliance of email and especially texting by parents. I don't believe most coaches have their phones on them while coaching, I certainly don't. It's extremely annoying to find a 2 hour old text/email that was important because I don't walk around with my phone.

It's more of an issue with team parents, most rec issues are handled through the office. There are many ways or good reasons for a gym parent to end up with a team coaches number, it's just not always the best option to use.

Our rule in my family is when you get your drivers license you get a cell phone so son has a phone he almost never uses and DD wishes she had a phone.

I always hear from parents its a security thing etc. But really where are our kid that an adult they are with doesn't have a phone, the school, gym or what ever doesn't have a phone, and so on. I don't know of any place my kids have ever been that a phone wasn't available to them. Now that means I as the parent need to make sure I have those numbers instead of just one cell phone. If I need to contact my kids at the gym I call the gym not my kids and leave a message for them.

I don't know some how before cell phones parents were able to contact their kids, know where they were, who they were with yes it may have taken more effort but I see it as part of being a parent. I say ban cell phones from kids until they are driving.

I agree, my son got a cell phone when he left home to go to college this year. But he pays for it. We have a spare cell at home that the girls can take if they really need one, that does not involve school or gym and the only number they can call is my cell phone number. To be honest that phone is used three times a year!

I agree on what you guys think about phones and kids. Mine probably won't have one until she can pay for it and she's driving. I wouldn't ever ban them from the gym just because it's more of a parent/kid decision on why they have it and what it's for. They aren't allowed to use it during their workout, but they can bring it in. Shoot, I wouldn't even want them in their cars, you can fry an egg on my iphone after 30 minutes of being left behind! It's not that hard to explain and enforce cell phone rules at the gym in my opinion. Maybe I've just been lucky, but it's never been a heated issue.

One girl who works out with us is addicted to her phone. Every time she goes to get a drink it is like 5 minutes later she comes back. Because she goes to her bag and looks at her texts and replies. Ohh well its her loss her parents pay for her to practice not to look at her phone every 20 minutes.

That was a problem at my gym as well. Girls would sneak there phones to the events and in between turns be texting and creating drama. "___ just said they like me, but I like ____!" Didn't take very long to realize it was an issue, and after a parent meeting with the owners and coaches, they decided phones were to be taken if seen, and if a call was necessary they could use the gym phone. Also if the new policy was abused, you would be kicked off team. Parents agreed and now all phones are kept in our lockers or gym bags, or they're taken!

I've had a phone since at least middle school. But I have mine to use for texting and relay calls (basically there's something on my phone I can text to and they call people and say what I've typed). I always brought my phone to gym but I turned it off and kept it in my locker or bag until practice was over. I can't use regular phones so my cell is pretty much the only way I can contact anyone.

According to the new 2011-2012 USAG Rules and Procedures, No Athlete, Judge, Coach, Parent or Spectator is allowed to have any wireless communication device when in the field during a sanctioned meet.

I always hear from parents its a security thing etc. But really where are our kid that an adult they are with doesn't have a phone, the school, gym or what ever doesn't have a phone, and so on. I don't know of any place my kids have ever been that a phone wasn't available to them.

My DD got her cell phone once she got to middle school and started wanting to go to school dances, and other activities that were "after hours." Back in the day, you could count on a pay phone being available at school and just about everywhere else. Not so anymore. Yes, there are adult chaperones at dances, but I don't know many kids would are comfortable and going up to a relative stranger to ask to use their phone. It most definitely WAS a security thing w/me. She could call me when she was done, we could arrange a place to meet (esp. since it was dark by the time things ended), etc. of course once she got to high school and started going to football games (no "supervision" there!), it was definitely comforting to me to know I could reach her and vice versa. Yes, we all survived w/o these things when we were kids, but the culture has definitely changed, and not necessarily for the better!

As far as cell phones at gym... I like the policy of TAKING THEM AWAY if the girls are caught using them! My DD is now 16 AND driving, so yes, she has hers with her wherever she goes. She calls to let me know when she arrives safely, and calls to tell me when she's leaving. There are so many crazy people and drivers out there, it definitely gives me a sense of security to know her comings and goings. (Especially where I live, right outside of Washington, D.C.!!!)

I agree with tumblequeensmom. Once my dd started going to social things (movies, football, walks etc) we got her a cellphone. It is mainly for our convenience. Where are you? When should I pick u up? When will you be home? I will tell you the first time I called her when I couldn't find her at a football game, it was WELL worth it! Cellphones are becoming a way of life. Kids will continue to have them earlier and earlier. You don't even see a pay phone around anymore.

My question is what do they mean exactly by "in the field"? I can't imagine trying to police all the people at a meet! Plus alot of parents have an app to track scores on their phone so would they still be allowed to do this? Hopefully they mean just the people allowed on the competition floor and not the entire venue.

I assumed that "in the field" meant "on the floor." Am I wrong? I can't imagine keeping parents from taking their cell phones into a meet. Definitely an announcement about turning the ringers off is appropriate, but I'm frequently texting scores to family members who couldn't be there, etc.

As for at our gym, they're a real problem. There are new rules in the gym which include not using cell phones during practice, period. And not leaving the gym except to go to the bathroom. The girls were using trips to their gym bags for drinks, getting grips, etc. as an excuse to check their texts. Now they're supposed to bring gym bags with grips and water bottle into the gym with them. We'll see how long the rules are enforced. I predict that within a month, or two at the most, they'll be back out in the lobby, texting. My girls are only 10 but some of their friends now have cell phones. I point out to them that their friends with cell phones are also their friends with divorced parents (which makes sense). I tell them they should be greatful to have parents who are still married (to each other even!!!) rather than annoyed that they don't have cell phones. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back