WAG Chalk warrior ranking of regions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Region 8 actually does a percentage, not a specific number. The number for region qualifiers from each state that you see listed on the Region 8 website before the state meet is based on number of level 8s in each state. I think the percentage might be 50% +1 or it might be a higher percentage. That's why some states have a lot more qualifiers than others. Region 8 raised the Level 9/10 requirements probably because there are so many gymnasts at that level.

Region 8 level 6,7,8 are a set number of TOTAL competitors for Regionals based on how many they can fit into the sessions. This number does not change. It is in the R&P. The percentage numbers listed before the state meet it for the allocacation of the preset number to each state in the region.

Its based on the number of gymnasts in the state. Its different every year.

In reference to the 3 quotes above, gymtigermom is correct and is what I was attempting to say, just didn't explain it well enough. The total number is not different each year. It is the exact same and the percentages are set before state meet, based on that fixed number. As per R8 website rules and reg 8/25/16 (6/7 is run the same way with a smaller total number)

"The number of gymnasts at Level 8 Regionals is 385 +64 Team + all ties......... Each state turns into RACC the number of Level 8 athletes in their state with 32.00 AA and with 34.00 AA. A percentage for each state is figured for the 331 places for the 32.00 AA number by the designated deadline, from all 8 states. and a separate percentage is figured for the additional 54 athletes at a 34.00 AA. by the designated deadline, from all 8 states. (6/7/00) (12/19/03)(6/16/16)"

Yes, the general number is around 50% but it changes each year. The year dd competed, I think it was 53% overall.

That being said , in my opinion a region with more athletes as a whole is doing a better job at bringing kids up so they are "better". So this logic is flawed in my opinion.

That doesn't make sense. It doesn't take into account percentage of the population as a whole. Sure CA has more high level gymnasts than, say, MA - because its population is like 100x larger than MA so naturally its talent pool for gymnasts will be larger (ok - probably an exaggeration on the ratio and I don't have the time to look up population stats but you get the idea). The same would hold true of larger/smaller regions by population.

In reference to the 3 quotes above, gymtigermom is correct and is what I was attempting to say, just didn't explain it well enough. The total number is not different each year. It is the exact same and the percentages are set before state meet, based on that fixed number. As per R8 website rules and reg 8/25/16 (6/7 is run the same way with a smaller total number)

"The number of gymnasts at Level 8 Regionals is 385 +64 Team + all ties......... Each state turns into RACC the number of Level 8 athletes in their state with 32.00 AA and with 34.00 AA. A percentage for each state is figured for the 331 places for the 32.00 AA number by the designated deadline, from all 8 states. and a separate percentage is figured for the additional 54 athletes at a 34.00 AA. by the designated deadline, from all 8 states. (6/7/00) (12/19/03)(6/16/16)"

Yes, the general number is around 50% but it changes each year. The year dd competed, I think it was 53% overall.

That doesn't make sense. It doesn't take into account percentage of the population as a whole. Sure CA has more high level gymnasts than, say, MA - because its population is like 100x larger than MA so naturally its talent pool for gymnasts will be larger (ok - probably an exaggeration on the ratio and I don't have the time to look up population stats but you get the idea). The same would hold true of larger/smaller regions by population.
I literally just read it: "Athletes will qualify by percentage from state meets." regarding levels 8, 7, 6. It is different from each state each year. It may be the same total for the region, but the number is different each year for each state. We always know the total number from each state before the state meet.

In order to support your theory you should supply a total
Population of each region. If correct then the regions will rank in the order of population correct?

Population of each region. If correct then the regions will rank in the order of population correct?
Ranking and having relative numbers for comparison are not the same thing.

Again, number of level 10s in Region 8 is 60%, Region 6 40% when you look at both regions

Total population of Region 8 is 60%, Region 6 40% when you look at both regions.

Levels 10 relative to population, pretty much the same................. So the number of L10s per region is really not a "ranking factor".

Going wow Region 8 has more L10s so they must be better, doesn't really fly.

Now maybe they are better, but its not because they get more kids to 10. The reason they get more kids to 10 is they have more kids.

Honestly, there are too many factors, which is the original point of the criticism. The numbers can't be used at face value witout looking at the population, the percent of population. For ex, one region may produce the most gymnasts total but that doesn't tell the whole story. Another region likely produces the most gymnast per capita. Which is truly the better region?

but frankly, it is just too late and I am too tired to wrap my head around statistics tonight. The person who made it put in good effort. She just needs to add to it to make it more accurate if she intends to keep it out there.

I literally just read it: "Athletes will qualify by percentage from state meets." regarding levels 8, 7, 6. It is different from each state each year. It may be the same total for the region, but the number is different each year for each state. We always know the total number from each state before the state meet.
I think we are saying the same thing but coming from different angles. I was answering the original reply based on how many gymnasts total in the region go to regionals, not how many from each individual state. it is a set total number at regionals every year and this number stays the same year to year. Yes, the number per state changes based on how many achieved 32 and 34 but the total for the region is always the same. This is different than what most other regions do, which is a flat qualifying score, which was my original point to the poster who asked about other regions.

I think ChalkWarrior is run by a high school student. She's obviously impressively good at the marketing, web building, promoting, graphic/video stuff, but it's understandable why her social science skills are lacking.
Yes, it is ran by a high school student. She's an amazing young lady who loves gymnastics and has taken her love of the sport to many different levels.

Honestly, there are too many factors, which is the original point of the criticism. The numbers can't be used at face value witout looking at the population, the percent of population. For ex, one region may produce the most gymnasts total but that doesn't tell the whole story. Another region likely produces the most gymnast per capita. Which is truly the better region?

but frankly, it is just too late and I am too tired to wrap my head around statistics tonight. The person who made it put in good effort. She just needs to add to it to make it more accurate if she intends to keep it out there.
I hear ya. :)

Ranking and having relative numbers for comparison are not the same thing.

Again, number of level 10s in Region 8 is 60%, Region 6 40% when you look at both regions

Total population of Region 8 is 60%, Region 6 40% when you look at both regions.

Levels 10 relative to population, pretty much the same................. So the number of L10s per region is really not a "ranking factor".

Going wow Region 8 has more L10s so they must be better, doesn't really fly.

Now maybe they are better, but its not because they get more kids to 10. The reason they get more kids to 10 is they have more kids.
Doesn't add up gym to gym or state to state. Our compulsory team is as large as many many gyms across the nation, but our level 10 team is not the same size . Then you have states like Arizona who have an average population of 6.9 mil and around 70 tens, and new york with 20 million and 80 tens. Or Utah with 41 tens but 3 mil population(half of NY gymnast total but less than fifth the population. So in theory what you are saying should be correct but in reality the human factor exists. The fact remains that numerous large teams exist that have zero level tens and the reverse. It takes a program to bring up a level 10 , amd of course more population helps but not a certainty.

Doesn't add up gym to gym or state to state. Our compulsory team is as large as many many gyms across the nation, but our level 10 team is not the same size . Then you have states like Arizona who have an average population of 6.9 mil and around 70 tens, and new york with 20 million and 80 tens. Or Utah with 41 tens but 3 mil population(half of NY gymnast total but less than fifth the population. So in theory what you are saying should be correct but in reality the human factor exists. The fact remains that numerous large teams exist that have zero level tens and the reverse. It takes a program to bring up a level 10 , amd of course more population helps but not a certainty.
Correct. And you still need to factor relative population. So yes when, in your examples above with the population of the states vs the 1os clearly there appears to be stronger states, which if you drill down even further would likely come down to gyms.

And that is why there are many factors that are needed when looking at such claims.
It's perhaps not that Region1 1 that ranks higher but that specific gyms in Region 1 are better than others. Which of course can be said about gyms in any region (regarding things coming down to specific gyms). The gym itself is far more important then the region.

It comes down to such claims are opinions based on selected information. Looking at a different set of information could produce different results.

No one should be packing up the van and moving vaguely to Region 1 and "any" gym. Your gym perhaps :) but not just to Region 1 because Chalkwarrior says it's the best.

Reactions: RTT
Correct. And you still need to factor relative population. So yes when, in your examples above with the population of the states vs the 1os clearly there appears to be stronger states, which if you drill down even further would likely come down to gyms.

And that is why there are many factors that are needed when looking at such claims.
It's perhaps not that Region1 1 that ranks higher but that specific gyms in Region 1 are better than others. Which of course can be said about gyms in any region (regarding things coming down to specific gyms). The gym itself is far more important then the region.

It comes down to such claims are opinions based on selected information. Looking at a different set of information could produce different results.

No one should be packing up the van and moving vaguely to Region 1 and "any" gym. Your gym perhaps :) but not just to Region 1 because Chalkwarrior says it's the best.
I don't think chalk warrior is saying region 1 is the best region , they are saying region one did the best this year. Region 3 and 5 are equal to 1 in most people's opinion , region one just happened to win this year. 2 years ago region 5 was unbeatable, and next year it will probably be someone else. Thank you for the kind words , but we are one of many many good gyms in the US , it's the great gyms that hold the highest "move to" honor . :).

Yes, it is ran by a high school student. She's an amazing young lady who loves gymnastics and has taken her love of the sport to many different levels.
When I first read her "About Me" and saw all the projects she's been a part of I just sort of assumed she was a recent college grad with some type of Communications/Marketing major. I was floored when I found out she was a high schooler.

When I first read her "About Me" and saw all the projects she's been a part of I just sort of assumed she was a recent college grad with some type of Communications/Marketing major. I was floored when I found out she was a high schooler.
Lauren is the same person who has been doing all the MSO articles and gymnastnof the year etc.. for the past several years . She left MSO to start her own gymnastics site. Her focus is on highlighting athletes around the country and she has also created a college bio section for your kids.

Lauren is the same person who has been doing all the MSO articles and gymnastnof the year etc.. for the past several years . She left MSO to start her own gymnastics site. Her focus is on highlighting athletes around the country and she has also created a college bio section for your kids.
When I was in high school I was just trying not to forget my homework :oops:

Anyone happy with her work should let her know. In her business she hears only the negatives. But if you look at what she has done with highlighting athletes from around the country (and not on anyones payroll for doing so), its a pretty nice thing . Her studies are subjective and she states that. Lauren is a very nice person and only wants to give kids and clubs recognition etc... She has a FB page as well so feel free to PM her some happiness if you like what she is doing and submit a story about your child, she may do a story on her. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back