WAG Changes to Canada Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kitkat

Proud Parent
In Canada we have a couple of levels that are not in the US. (I don't think you have this but I am not "up" on the USA levels)

They are called Pre-National Novice and National Novice. This is for kids who are under the age of 13 but have National prospects.
Pre-National Novice is also there for kids who have excelled in say floor but weaker on bars. They receive bonus points in this stream for extra skills. In our provincial stream you have to be all the same level in all four apparatus to compete that level in Provincials. So my daughter maybe level 9 on bars and beam but level 8 floor and vault. She would have to compete level 8 in provincial but she might compete CPN

So my question is - Is there anything like this in the USA? Or is it level 9 & 10 and then National?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket.

Just a quick note, it is only Ontario that uses the L1-10 system. The rest of Canada uses the CPP, Canadian Provincial Program, in addition to the national stream program.

in the USAG Junior Olympic system gymnasts tend to compete L5-10, though some comoete the lower levels too, but right now those levels are not required. Additionally they may move through the Levels at any speed even competing multiple levels in one year or even testing out of levels, or they may spend two or more years at any level.

Kids with talent might compete Hopes at L9 and be identified as having Elite potential. There is International Junior and Senior Elite. These have skills above L10 and they requalify yearly, or attempt to.

some gyms train TOPs, this is a skills and conditioning program that leads to testing and perhaps being party of the national training system. However participation is not a true indicator of success as some of the best US gyms do not use TOPs testing in their gyms.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket.

Just a quick note, it is only Ontario that uses the L1-10 system. The rest of Canada uses the CPP, Canadian Provincial Program, in addition to the national stream program.

in the USAG Junior Olympic system gymnasts tend to compete L5-10, though some comoete the lower levels too, but right now those levels are not required. Additionally they may move through the Levels at any speed even competing multiple levels in one year or even testing out of levels, or they may spend two or more years at any level.

Kids with talent might compete Hopes at L9 and be identified as having Elite potential. There is International Junior and Senior Elite. These have skills above L10 and they requalify yearly, or attempt to.

some gyms train TOPs, this is a skills and conditioning program that leads to testing and perhaps being party of the national training system. However participation is not a true indicator of success as some of the best US gyms do not use TOPs testing in their gyms.

Butting in... so what would be the US equivalent of Canadian Novice?

You know, the two programs (streams) are so completely different, it is very hard to compare them (believe me, I have tried!). Suffice to say that in Canada (with the exception of Ontario), there are two streams (provincial and pre-novice) than can lead to the same place (national open, junior, and senior). As "they" say, the times they are a changin, and what used to be the only way to get to national team status (pre-novice, national stream) is by no means the same today :).

It really is hard to compare, maybe L8 ish. But as Sparky says the systems are really very different. Also I know of clubs in Ontario that do not use the pre novice system at all and just take their girls up through the levels and then to the national novice or open levels. Many, many ways to get to the top of the heap in Canada.

Thanks for the replies. We were just told by our club that Pre-National Novice, Novice Open and National Novice are not changing next year despite us in Ontario changing over to the US system. Looking forward to hearing about all the new things coming to Canada.

Can someone explain what the TOPS program is?

Suffice to say that in Canada (with the exception of Ontario), there are two streams (provincial and pre-novice) than can lead to the same place (national open, junior, and senior).

Our gym (in Ontario) does offer the two streams to get to National. The tech director at our gym told me last year that the Aspire is comparable to 6/7 and the Elite 8+, depending on what you include (these are the two levels of pre-novice national). But that is our (Ontario's) current levels, which are slightly different from current JO, and different again from what is coming this fall.

TOPs is Talent Opportunity Program. Basically a skills and conditioning program that some US gyms use for development. I believe that Ontario has a similar system. The TOPs system has regular testing, levels and girls can end up at National testing and on the National TOPs team. You can search for TOPs testing videos on youtube to see what it looks like. In Quebec we have the Defi program.

Very similar to Ontario's ODP testing. ODP tests - strength, flexibility, power, endurance and handstands....
Thanks for replying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back